Chapter 59

The Basement

Eren was relieved, but perplexed. Levi had chosen Armin over Erwin, an unlikely choice. Even though he felt guilty for letting Erwin die, he was glad that his dear friend was okay. He was glad that Armin will live to see another day. 

His gaze tilts upwards at the fading blue sky. The whole day had gone by and sunset was soon to happen. The sun rays illuminate the rubble of the fight. Bertholdt had burned half of Shiganshina with the flaming debris he had scattered. However, his neighborhood had stayed intact. Most of the debris was from the first attack on Shiganshina.

Mikasa walks beside him and she points ahead of them. There was an abandoned town square with a stone water fountain that had become cracked and covered in moss. It was where they would hang out when the vendors opened their shops. He smiles at the bittersweet memories, but it falters when he remembers Hannes's drunken expression.

If he had just been stronger, then Hannes would have been back at Stohess waiting for them to reveal their news. Now, he was gone, just like his mother and father. His eyebrows furrowed in frustration at his father. Grisha had left him all alone with a power he didn't understand. His bastard father should have at least left him a note explaining something.

Eren continues walking through the debris of the alleyway and he turns to the right at the end of the alleyway. Mikasa comes to a stop causing him, Levi, and Hanji to stop too. He didn't know why the stoic black-haired girl stopped him until his teal eyes saw what was in front of him.

Up ahead was the cobblestone stairs that would lead to his home, but that's when the memory comes back to him. He remembered stopping at the bottom of the stairs with Mikasa to drop off (Y/n) at her home because it was the corner building connected to the stairs.

His eyes widen when he sees a ghost version of a twelve-year-old (Y/n) run out of the building with a large grin on her face. Her (e/c) eyes twinkle a mix of mischief and joy. However, that young girl fades to reveal the real (Y/n).

Her (h/c) hair was matted with blood and sweat. The black suit she wore had been slashed and revealed the large gashes with bruises surrounding the skin. Her hands were covered in dried blood and a large bloodstain was on her suit. 

She slowly turns her head to the side to make eye contact with him and he knew that the person staring at him was not his friend. She had empty, soulless (e/c) eyes that no longer had their twinkle of mischief. Her soft lips had cuts and formed a firm line. 

She didn't dare mutter a word. Nothing came out of her. She was just staring at him. He takes a step forward and before he knew it, he had wrapped his arms around her arms bringing her head close to him. He was relieved once again, but he was perplexed. 

He was glad that his friend was alive, but he was scared of what had made her so empty. Something within him twists that causes panic and fear run through his body. Maybe she was a reflection of his true emotions. Maybe she had become what he was slowly becoming, a void.

"(Y/n)" Eren whispers, holding back his emotions. He waits for her to answer. A second goes by, and another, and another, and another until he couldn't bear the long minute that had gone by, "(Y/n)?"

His hands wrap around the biceps of her arms and he takes a step back to look at her. Just as he had feared, she wasn't there. Her body was physically in front of him, being held by his hands, but her conscious was gone.

She just stares at him with a blank stare and she turns her head towards the large hole of the building. Teal eyes widen at the figures in front of him. Harry stood off to the side just staring at the large rock that had crashed into the tavern.