"The X-Advisors..." Part VIII...

Disclaimer: All is Chuck's...

Part VIII...

Tense silence reigned in Leonard's car...Sheldon's one born of guilt, Leonard's one of shock, mixed with his natural reluctance to press on intimate matters, and containing a growing mingling of frustrated eagerness to hear more, matched against the understanding that Sheldon if pressed would very likely clam up completely. Only his answer to Penny's urgent call requesting news on Sheldon's condition breaking the tension for a moment...

He noted to her that Sheldon seemed better and Amy was not to worry...Yes, he would put Sheldon to bed...Yes, he'd help him with his jammies and see that he brushed his teeth...No, "Soft Kitty" was not an option, by mutual choice but, yes, he would hold the phone so Amy could sing it to him when Sheldon was settled. Yes, he'd hold a mo... Sheldon, glancing nervously at him...Yeah, still here, he acknowledged Penny's return. No, Amy could rest easy, he was not irresponsibly risking Sheldon's precious life by talking on the phone while driving, he'd pulled over beforehand...Would he what?

Leave the what, what?...Sheldon eyeing him...Hmmn?

"I know they're...Engaged..." Eye roll... "But..." Leonard, frowning...

Oh...Sheldon, slight smile...Leonard eyeing him now, well aware that he's fully aware of Amy's transmitted request to leave the front door unlocked, if he went to bed before she and Penny arrived...

Who are you? His look to Sheldon saying...

"Ok, whatever...I'd better get him home. How's the party going?" pause... "And how is our singing sensation getting on with Susan Stein?"

Narrow look from Sheldon...What?

"I'll bet they have a lot to talk about regarding our Texas galoot, yeah..." arch look over to Sheldon's glare.

"Ok...I'll call you when he's in his jammies and set in bed...Ok...Penny? Yes." Pause... "I hope you got that. And yes, as that song goes...I will still love you when you're no longer young and you'll always be beautiful to me...Believe it?" slow smile as he listened... "Well... Great. Ok. I love you so much. Ok...See ya..." he closed phone, slight smile.

Wow. He looked round, a bit dazed...

Jesus, after all that's happened...All the years of trying to make it happen...

It happens and I'm in my car driving a slightly drunk and nauseous Sheldon home, accepting her proposal over the phone...

Well...I'll get it right...Righter, later...

But...God...Smile...

I won't ever not think of this as the moment...This, the place...He glanced round at the quiet street of quiet homes, a car passing...

And be so, so grateful...

"Congratulations." Sheldon, curtly.

"Thank you." Smile...He started the car and pulled out. Silence resumed...

Once parked in the garage he helped Sheldon out and into the building...Not even the urge to ferret more out of his friend regards his startling announcement earlier overcoming his desire to simply savor the moment...

No, it really couldn't have been better or finer...Maybe a little fancier...Shrug. But like my friend Amy...I'll take it.

Hmmn... Speaking of my friend Amy...He frowned at Sheldon as they paused at the apartment door...

Who gave an innocent...What?...Stare...

....

"Penny?" Bernadette had come over, Howard safely withdrawn from the clutches of Susan Stein without spilling vital intelligence...