"The X-Advisors..." Part XIX...

Disclaimer: All is Chuck's...

Part XIX...

Sheldon being Sheldon, it fell of course to him to ask the question on everyone in Howard's car was waiting to ask of Amy...

Though uncharacteristically he waited so long to ask that not only Bernadette but Lucy had reached the stage of being ready to impatiently jump the gun...

"What did Dr. Stein say to you?" A detectable hint of nervousness...

"Nothing you didn't tell me already...Howard, I'll be staying with Sheldon tonight, just drop us at their building. I have to put Penny's coat away so we may as well make it your place." She noted to Sheldon.

Hmmn...Various eyeings among the others.

"Oh, grow up." Sheldon, annoyed. "We're engaged. Naturally Amy will stay with me."

"And Howard, if you're about to hiss to Raj that you bet fifty bucks I stay in Leonard's room...Raj, I'd take that bet." Amy noted, sly smile.

Now's there more than I wanted to know...Raj thought.

I mean sure...Nice to know our little creation, Shamy, is standing on two feet and ready to experience the world at last but, as a sort of father...And declared sort of foster brother to the Amy portion...

On the other hand...Perhaps Howard and I should offer wise counsel? Stern but kindly warnings to be gentle...Amy. A few Googling tips?

Our lil' Shamy...Makin' out at last. Gettin' the dirty and down...Doin' the nasty...

Oh...

"Rajesh, are you crying?" Lucy stared.

"I can't help it, I'm just so happy." He noted as she hugged him.

...

Pasadena Hilton lounge...

"Susan?" Dr. Francis affected surprise...Having noted her presence in the lounge a good ten minutes before. "Not to bed?"

"I'm waiting for Dad. Dr. Hofstadter was taken ill...An asthma attack."

"Leonard? Serious?"

"His friends took him to the hospital. Dad went to see how he was doing."

"Oh...And the university called you about it?" he took a seat by her. "Gin and soda, please." He informed the bartender, a rather tired-looking young woman.

"I was there, Xavier." Susan frowned at him. "And yes, I was there because I went to see Sheldon. He's an old friend."

"An engaged old friend, I understand." Francis, nonchalantly. "And quite a fiancée...Maggie Fowler's granddaughter. You have stiff competition, Susan."

"Don't be an ass, Xavier." She glared. "We were just kids, it was nothing..."

"Susan..." sigh. "I know how much Sheldon Cooper meant to you. After all, it was his memory that ruined any chance..."

"That's enough..." she cut him off, curtly. "It's nice to see you again, good night, Dr. Francis."

"Sue..." he shook his head. "I'm not your enemy. I don't have reason to hate you." He took the drink just set down, sipping.

"And yet you do...Hate me. I know." She eyed him. "You tormented me just to hurt Dad. But you're right enough...The memory of what Sheldon was to me, when I had no one else...Yeah, that did save me from you." Glare.

"And you'll just walk away, give up...Not even try...That's not the daughter of Francis Stein..." he set his drink down.

"I won't hurt Sheldon or jeopardize his being happy." She frowned. "It was wrong of me to go, I won't make the same mistake again."

"And what if Amy Fowler is not the right person for him...In fact, the worst he could have hooked up with?" Francis, quietly.

"So you'd hurt the granddaughter of a woman you once were gaga about...You both told me how you both loved Maggie Fowler...Way back when...As well as Sheldon. All to get back at Dad because he fathered me with Margaret. You're a sweetheart, Xavier...St. Francis Xavier Gandhi, wasn't that what the y called you?"

"I lived up to the name once...When I was young...And trusting..." Francis, calmly. "I've never hated you, Susan. I've failed you, miserably...But I've never hated you. How could I hate my Margaret's daughter?"

"Then let me be, then...Let it all rest, Xavier. Stop trying to punish Dad for something that wasn't...Couldn't have been...All his fault. He couldn't help loving Margaret too."

"And he would have been wrong for her...If circumstances had permitted such a routine thing as a real love affair between them. And perhaps...Just perhaps...Amy is wrong for Sheldon."

She eyed him. "And what does that mean?"

"It simply means...Don't throw in the towel just yet, Dr. Stein. We've at least six months here...Perhaps a couple of years...Even a chance at staying if you wished. Why not wait and see? You don't have to do anything...Just see how things go."

"I'm not a child, Xavier, crying for the moon. There are other men besides Sheldon Cooper...And most of them probably are quite familiar with me."

"But none like Sheldon Cooper..." he noted, quietly. "Susan, I saw you tonight...You'd do just about anything to have another chance with him."

"Please..." she grinned. "Sheldon? That gawky, awkward doofus who was afraid to hold hands with me? Who probably still hasn't..." she burst into tears.

"It can't hurt to tell him your feelings are real, Susan." Francis, gently. "I know your father believes you should try."

"Oh?" she'd gotten hold of herself, wiping tears with a napkin. "You two suddenly on speaking terms again?"

"He didn't go to the hospital out of deep concern or courtesy for my old grad student..." Francis noted quietly. "He went for you, to see Amy and see just how strong a hold she has. He's checked on her, as I have...Susan, she's too much like Sheldon...She won't help him, just drag him back to what he was. That boy needs you."

"Thanks for your concern, Xavier." She eyed him. "But lets drop this conversational point and I'll be getting off to bed."

"Watch them..That's all I ask. See if you don't agree with me. And with your father."

"Why would I trust you to be acting in Sheldon Cooper's best interests...Or mine?"

"Because your father believes he is...And his course is parallel to yours and Sheldon's."

"He's being foolish out of concern for us. It's sweet but I'll knock it out of him. Now, I'll say good night."

"Good night, Sue." He nodded calmly. "No, please..." as she moved to leave money. "It's on me."

"Fine...Good night, Xavier. If you see Dad, tell him I went to bed." She rose and made for the door.

Xavier watching as she went...

Poison, do thy work...