"The X-Advisors..." Part XLII...

Disclaimer: All is Chuck's...

Part XLII...

"Ladies, there's no reason not to be civilized." Xavier Francis noted pleasantly. "I've a broken hand and no weapon available of any kind. Plus, if you consider the matter carefully, I feel you'll see our goals basically coincide. Why not sit and have a decent lunch, on my counterpart and Francis Stein? You may well learn something to your credit, even if I can't convince you that we are, essentially, allies."

"Amy, you should go. I don't trust him." Penny, firmly.

"If you like..." Xavier shrugged. "I can't stop her. But two heads are better than one...And no offense, Miss? Fowler? You do look as if you could use a hearty meal or two."

"So long as he can't keep me here or harm us, I think it's not a bad idea to talk, Dr. Hofstadter." Amy noted to Penny. Xavier concealing a slightly amused smile at the "Doctor" Hofstadter.

"The door stays open, you stay next to it. He, then I, sample anything that comes." Penny insisted.

"By all means..." Xavier nodded. "But shouldn't you be calling me 'Dad', Penny?" as she turned to open the door.

"Each time I do, I'll remember my real dad." Penny eyed him calmly, pushing door wide and moving to take a seat at the room's table, Amy beside her, closest to the door. "And what pain I owe you...You pathetic little man."

"Fair enough...Though I again remind you, those deaths and losses are only potential ones. We, working together, can prevent them." He noted.

"How?" Amy asked, pulling chair closer. "How would we work together? And how would it prevent all that's happened?"

"Room service..." a cheery call...

"Ah, right on time." Xavier nodded. "Please, come on in. My daughters here are starving. Girls, I hope you like what I ordered..."

"Sure...Thanks, 'Dad'." Penny smiled coldly as the server placed several covered dishes...

...

Head on hand, propped arm on desk...Dr. Margaret Fowler-Horowitz regarded her two extremely unexpected morning visitors...

"GranMag, you can see I'm Amy..." the seated Amy pleaded.

"I can see you resemble my niece, dear. But you're about twenty years too old." Dr. Fowler-Horowitz noted calmly.

"I've shown you my California license, circa 2015..." Amy sighed, indicating the license with photo on desk, next to Kripke's.

"Indeed you have...But I would note you claim to have chosen this door at random. Very unlikely coincidence, given the situation. You'd've been better to claim you were seeking me, you ought to know I came here for a sabbatical and to see you...Your supposed younger self. Where is she, by the way?"

"I don't know...You just tried her dorm room. It's not a class time, I think...The library? We haven't made contact with her as yet. I'd hoped to keep her out of it."

"Admirable. And you...?" Dr. Fowler-Horowitz scanned the license. "Dr. Barry Kripke...? What do you have to say?"

"Just what Amy has said, Doc." Kripke shrugged. "I get that it's hawrd to beliweve, but..."

"That's quite a lisp...How long have you had it?"

"What wlisp?"

"Gran..." Dr. Fowler-Horowitz cutting Amy's plea off with a wave of hand.

"First things first. I don't say this is all a lie, but it's a bit incredible. Still as Sherlock Holmes would wisely say...When you eliminate the impossible, you are left with the improbable and that must be your solution. I need to speak to my granddaughter, first though. I have to know she's all right." Stern look.