"The X-Advisors..." Part XVII...

Disclaimer: All is Chuck's...

Part XVII...

1959...Princeton...

"It's such a shame that Professor Einstein should have had to die before I came to Princeton..." Stein sighed to his friends Margaret and Xavier as they headed from Dr. Fowler's classroom for the building exit. Students hurrying past...A few casting glances at the increasingly well-known male pair...Well-known though mainly for reasons not directly connected to their prowess in Physics. And a number eyeing the quite lovely Margaret...Not a few in puzzled resignation.

Francis frowning a bit back at the classroom door...

Just why should the divine Dr. Fowler have any need to keep that mere "businessman" Leonard behind...?

"Yes, I'm sure it was the one regret of his life that he didn't get to meet you, Francis." Xavier, rolling eyes to Margaret's grin.

"True...Poor man...It would have comforted his last years to know that theoretical Physics would pass on into my capable hands. Why do you suppose Dr. Fowler kept Horowitz behind?"

"She's concerned about him, Francis." Xavier sighed. "And he is a fascinating case for her...After all she is a clinical psychologist as well as a neurophysiologist."

"Why such a brilliant woman wastes her time among all the little sciences..." Stein shrugged.

"And she likes our lil' Leonard..." Margaret, impish grin at Xavier...

"Oh surely there are better objects for her attention..." Stein attempting an off-handed pose.

"Oh...Francis..." Margaret sighed, glance to Xavier. "I'm sorry."

"What? I merely meant to express my regret at the folly of women in general and some brilliant women in particular. It's a concern for the gene pool of my adopted country." High-minded look.

"Right...Of course..." she nodded, indulgently. "And I am sure Dr. Fowler appreciates your concern. But...The fact is, Francis..." kind smile, hand on arm. "The heart must go where the heart wants...I'm sure there'll be a Dr. Fowler for you one day." Beam.

He frowned..."Xavier, will you explain to Miss Margaret that I am not seeking anything but the romance of completely understanding the universe from its beginning to end at all levels? Sordid human interplay does not constitute such..."

"You get that?" Xavier asked Margaret. She nodded.

"She's got it, Francis..."

"Should we wait?" Margaret asked as they neared the exit.

"Oh...I don't know..." Xavier, smile... "I think Leonard's going to busy for a while."

"What?" Francis stared. "Well...We should wait. It would be rude to go without him."

"First time you've ever worried about being rude to Leonard Horowitz..." Xavier grinned. Margaret giving reproving look...

"So what about your rocket project, boys?" leaning against wall, she attempted to change the subject. "When do we get atomic rockets for bus service to Mars?"

"If your boyfriend would show a little extra daring..." Francis began.

"Francis..." sigh. "I can't steal plutonium from the university cyclotron for you to experiment on."

"You'd do the experimenting...I've already done the theoretical heavy lifting... Just a matter of a little all-naturized American courage and a little tinkering... "

"Do we want the FBI at our dorm again? And that was just when you insisted on publishing your paper without getting security clearance. If they thought we were actually trying it out..."