Chapter 40 - Winner winner

Soon people started to leave while the groups taking part in the mystery stayed to the end. "So the cowboy isn't a suspect?"

"No way, didn't you see the state of his fingernails on his right hand?" Loki looks to you with a confused stare. "They were practically gone, obviously he is right handed,"

"Obviously," he repeats.

"What about those numbers on the mirror?"

"A1Z26 code, it's easy to decipher," you hand Pietro a piece of paper with the deciphered code. "Hebrews 13:4, meaning we need to head to the library," as you entered the elevator you pressed the button to the library. "Uhm... if I'm taking away all the fun please tell me, cause we are meant to work as a team,"

"Don't worry, you're fine," the others agree with Strange. You give a nod and walk to the library door. Expecting to see the library in perfect condition you were shocked to see a pile of books in the middle.

"I- I'm not even going to bother complaining," you kneel down and sort through the books as the boys follow. "We are looking for a bible," as you looked through the incredibly large pile you started to mumble to yourself. "This wasn't as bad as I remember,"

"Remember?" Strange asks after placing down a dictionary.

"Yeah, one of the cases I helped Sherlock solve, John named it the Blind Banker on his blog, we had to sort through boxes and boxes of books to see what book two victims had in their possession. Turned out the victims were linked to a secret society called the black lotus, John and his date nearly died, Sherlock fought a few people, Chinese codes, the whole drama all for a jade pin worth nine million quid,"

"Nine million?!"

"Yeah, I think Sherlock got sick of codes for a while after that," you laugh quietly. "Hold on a second..." you reached the bottom of the pile and yet there was no bible. "Of course... Miss Potts you clever cookie," you stand up and look around the library, there were no missing books from the shelves but the signs for each section of the library were swapped.

"What is it?"

"That pile was a distraction, look around the library the book is still on the shelves, but the signs are mixed up so you're gonna have to look at the actual book spines," everyone was quick to split up. Pietro zoomed around the first floor of the library then up the second.

"Found it!" Pietro tosses the bible down from the balcony and into your hands. Opening the cover you flip to the contents page and see the right page number.

"Give honor to marriage, and remain faithful to one another in marriage. God will surely judge people who are immoral and those who commit adultery," you read out loud.

"Adultery, that would mean it's the ex lover," Loki concludes. You nod and take out the right file.

~~~

Walking past the avengers who were on their way to the elevator you smirk as they scowl. Going up to pepper she gives you a bright smile.

"I knew you'd figure it out," she hands you a pair of hand cuffs. "Just arrest the murderer and hand her over to me to get your prize," looking around the smaller party you spot a woman in an angel costume with feather wings. Walking up to her you take her hands and cuff them.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you," the girl sighs and nods dramatically. "Oh that's so much more fun then when I see Greg do it," you hand the suspect over to Pepper who grins and unlocks the cuffs, letting the girl go to let the others arrest her later.

"Congrats, let's just wait for the others," you team nods and sit down at the couch.

"That was so much fun! Remind me to always be on your team," Pietro directs his comment to you. As you let out a laugh Pietro and Strange go and get some punch.

"This was actually really well put together, I'll need to thank Pepper later,"

"So will I," you quirk a brow at Loki who was grinning.

"Why?" He holds up a pair of handcuffs.

"For lending me these for later," he growls in your ear.

"Nice try, Antlers," you take the handcuffs off him and put them on the table. He gives you a disappointed pout as you cuddle up against him. An hour passed and soon every group got back down to the party. "Hey there guys, what took you so long?" The other groups flips your team off as you laugh.

"Well, did you guys figure out the murderer?" Pepper asks Tony who shakes his head. She turns to Thor who mumbles a 'no' and Cap who sighs. "Did you even find the book?"

"It wasn't in the pile!" Tony shouts angrily.

"Did it even occur to you that the pile was a distraction?" Pepper counters smugly.

"WHAT?!" The three groups shout.

"Guess not... anyways," Pepper throws a bag of candy at each of your team mates. "Y/n's group wins!"

"Suck it, Stark!" You yell in victory as Tony flips you off again. Everyone happily sits down as they accept defeat, you throw a piece of candy at each of the losing members and their eyes light up. You even threw one at Tony who angrily accepted the treat.

"What happened to the other teams?"

"Oh they won before any of you guys did," Pepper says casually. You choke on a piece of chocolate and stare up at Pepper.

"What?!"

"Yeah, they're really good," you mumble profanities as everyone laughs.

"I demand a rematch!" Tony blurts out.

"You're a sore loser, Stark," Tony pouts and walks off.

~~~

I smell sin! Have you sinned?! Shame! Shame! Shame!

- Holy Anna ❤️