22

Abi's P.O.V.

"You coming?" I asked.

"You know I am." He said.

I threw him the helmet and he caught it, putting it on before climbing onto the ATV.

"I'm driving." I said.

"I don't think so." He said.

"Well I do, I used to drive this thing when I was 12, I've had experience. Plus, this is my house." I said with a smile.

"Fine." He said and moved back so that I could sit in front of him.

I started the engine and it roared to life, I pulled the throttle and we went speeding out across the fields. I knew exactly where I was going, it was where I used to come with my grandpa when I was here. I looked out across the fields, the grass really needed cutting, and I remembered what they used to look like with the horses in them. When I saw the clearing come into view, I sped up a little bit and stopped a few metres away from the edge, climbing off of the ATV. Clint followed me as I walked over to the edge, looking down at the 100ft drop below me before looking out across the land beyond it.

"The view is beautiful." He said.

"I used to come out here with my grandpa, sometimes by myself if I wanted to just be alone and think. This whole place is amazing, in the years I haven't been here I seemed to have forgotten quite how amazing it really is. With a bit of work I really think this could be our place." I said with a smile.

"I know this will be our place, it's perfect." He said, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

It warmed my heart to hear him say that, I was happy to be back here and I was happy that Clint was here with me.

"What did your grandparents used to do with all this space? These fields must have had a use." He said.

"They had horses, 12 of them, and we used to use this space to ride them. I grew up riding horses, I used to love it." I said.

I looked up at him and I knew he had some sort of plan forming in his head, I couldn't wait to find out what it was he was planning.

"We should probably head back, check out what else is in the barn." Clint said.

I nodded and we climbed back onto the ATV before we sped back to the barn, parking the ATV and getting off. We looked around the barn and Clint went searching in the back whilst I looked through my grandma's old gardening things, a smile spread on my face. Amongst all the silver metal gardening tools I saw some colour, I lifted the tools out of the way and my smile grew, it was the little trowel my grandma had given me, my name still written on the handle although it had faded quite a bit.

"Where did your grandpa keep his tools?" Clint called from the back of the barn.

"Why?" I asked.

He was silent for a minute but then he came over carrying a long plank of wood with a grin on his face.

"I found this, I thought I could use it to repair the step I broke. The first of the renovations." He said happily.

"They're over here." I said, turning and walking over to the old workbench.

Clint opened the rusty old toolbox and pulled out a hammer and some nails before grabbing the saw and walking out of the barn. I followed him over to the house and he dropped everything next to the porch and crouched down next to the step. He measured it before cutting the right length from the large plank of wood he had found. I helped him by pulling the broken wood off of the step and he hammered the new wood into place before testing it.