Chapter 7

"That lightness that you are feeling in your body is actually mana."

"No wonder I feel so light Sensei."

Sebastian was training Naell. They were both standing meters away from each other in the middle of the Grassy plains. The location they were training in, was the same place where he had awakened.

It was the perfect place to train since average villagers would avoid it. After all, it had the tendency to have some roaming monsters. Of course, it was heavily guarded by Baron Fharom's guards, but still, for a normal person, it was a scary place to be in.

Naell was still a tad anxious as he thought,

'I wonder--- what is this heavy feeling?'

It only lasted for a couple of seconds as Naell was too fond of his training. He was actually releasing and inserting mana from his body. He was trying to do a mana shield that all mages usually learn first as mentioned in the novel.

To form a mana shield, a mage needs to release his/her mana while coating their body and surroundings with it.

Sebastian, while continuing his lecture about the fundamentals of magic and mana, placed his right palm to his chest while his left index pointed to his temple.

"A martial artist's aura strength not only comes from the amount they have but also from their will which is directly from their heart; while us mages will come from our mastery in controlling and forming mana--- but above all, from our imagination."

He then added on while observing Naell's white mana.

"Although the color of one's mana truly describes the strength of a mage, without mastery and imagination, it amounts to nothing."

Naell of course was startled at first when Sebastian told him that his mana was white like his mother's, though he quickly forgot about it due to his excitement in learning magic.

Naell was nodding and in the process was actually able to succeed on his first try. A clear circular barrier had formed around him. Sebastian was then looking towards him with a complicated look.

"This--- you are able to form a perfect mana shield on your first try..."

Sebastian, with a flick of his hand, immediately sent multiple offensive magic towards Naell. He was surprised at how sturdy the young mage's shield was.

Naell tilted his head with a questioning gaze of "what?" directed to his Sensei. He was having too much fun to even use common sense at that moment.

"HO...Ho...ho" Sebastian could only laugh dryly at Naell's response.

"AHEM... For this month, you'll practice your mana shield until you can maintain its form even whilst you are doing other things." Sebastian knew that releasing and inserting mana required an amount of time to master, so he thought one week would do. Yet when Naell immediately formed a barrier with mana, he could only advance the lesson.

'4 months... It really is possible--- Nay 4 months is too long.' Sebastian was thinking of the entrance exam at the capital. The mage applicant would be required to undergo a series of examinations to assess their capability to uphold the school's standards.

Naell nodded to respond while pondering if he could fly.

"Understood, Sensei. I was hoping I could learn elemental magic today."

Naell then focused his mana to his feet, but was quite disappointed when he could only levitate.

In the novel, flight magic was possible but only to a certain degree. They could only levitate or fly a few meters above the ground. Of course, there were exceptions such as the direct descendants of The Legendary Animal, Pegasus; the winged beast tribe, the mighty dragon race, and several other races.