Chapter 12

Is this what it feels like to have your life flash before your eyes?

It was naive of me to think that I could have repaid their kindness.

During the war, I was one of those who had almost lost everything... If it weren't for my brother's decision to apply as a soldier, we might have already died from poverty.

As I was young, I could only support him from afar, yet that was why, I too, have worked hard--- all just to be where I am today, so he could have a home to return to, just so I could repay their kindness.

...I wish I could have thanked Duke Mard for his kindness.

I wish I could have thanked teacher Sebastian for sheltering us in all those times.

I'm sorry Lady Rinca...

*******

As much as she would have wanted to save herself, Sestra knew she was powerless against the approaching axe.

When it comes to battles, superior strength would mostly prevail in the fight. Certainly, strategies and tactics are important, but overwhelming strength would naturally have the upper-hand.

Yet still, she firmly held her wooden wand, trying her best to defend herself with magic, but to no avail. Her mind was too unsettled to incantate any defensive spell.

Sestra could only close her eyes and wait for her demise, but to her surprise it did not come. Instead, she felt immense vibrations that were followed by a cold gust of fog. As she opened her eyes, the fog slowly settled, and the scene then came into view.

 As she opened her eyes, the fog slowly settled, and the scene then came into view

The huge axe halted upon colliding with the large snow crystal. The shining silver crystal spewed out snow as it slowly coated the entirety of the axe.

Those who had seen it were stunned, yet the battle did not let them pause for so long. Sestra was the only one who stayed lost in a trance.

'Am I dreaming? Is this the afterlife?' But what awakened her senses was the approaching face of the young master of Beryldot, who couldn't hide his gentle voice of concern.

"Lady Sestra, are you okay?" His voice was far different from his red chilling eyes, pale skin, and silver hair; none of which would even show the warmth of his voice.

Sestra by then, felt guilty of her earlier prejudice towards Naell as she knew it was he who saved her life. She then gently spoke in gratitude.

"...Thank you for saving my life."

Naell smiled, hiding his fatigue. Using his limit continuously, took a toll on his body.

During the first half of the battle, Naell was somewhat preoccupied. He couldn't shake his concern for the lingering mana of the mysterious creature.