Chapter 14

'If it is not welcome, it wouldn't be here, and besides...' Naell reassured himself with a "fufufu" while covering his mouth with his left hand. It was a sight to behold, but luckily, none were able to see it.

'...It probably just flew over our estate.'

By the time they were finished with their dinner, Fharom, Lilia, and Lily had decided to head towards their rooms. Each of them left after saying their goodnights to each other.

On the other hand, Sebastian told Naell that he wished to have a short discussion with him, in his room.

As Naell entered, he felt his body slowly approaching the solace of his bed. The room's warm lights and the night's cold glow didn't fail to soothe his mind. Yet, his senses didn't wander for long, as he heard a loud HOO---T, followed by the voice of an old lady.

"Hoot, Sebastian, is he the boy?"

Sebastian replied as he closed the door behind him.

"He is, Milady."

Upon hearing the exchange, Naell saw a small figure fluttering its wings as it looked directly toward them; its heart-shaped face covered by her white feathers seemed so mystical underneath her silver gaze.

'An owl?'

"Hello, Little one."

In the face of an elderly figure, Naell placed his right hand on his chest and bowed down to show his etiquette as he gently said,

"Good evening, Madam."

"Hoot, as always, no need for formalities Sebastian, and little one, just call me Auntie." Upon hearing that, Sebastian turned to Naell and gestured for him to take a seat.

The two watched as the owl steadied herself onto the table before them. The night's serene glow peeked through Naell's bedroom window, further adding to the owl's mystical feel.

Sebastian was the one who initiated the conversation. His calm and friendly demeanor did not change as he introduced them to each other.

"Naell, this is Athena, a Legendary beast, and one of the 12 Guardians of old hailed as Wisdom..."

"...Athena, this is Naell, son of Baron Fharom, and the deceased Baroness Alicia--- furthermore, the stepson of Baroness Lilia."

Looking closely, Naell found Athena's appearance to be very majestic and at the same time, fluffy. Her white feathers were occasionally covered by tiny black spots at her chest, while the rest glimmered with it being bright white. Her large forward-facing eyes were dyed with silver-like crystals matching her black hawk-like beak.

Naell recalled the book he read in the library pertaining to the 12 Guardians;

The [12 Guardians of Old] were tasked by the Celestials to protect the world from Lucile [Celestial of Destruction] who commanded the demons to reign havoc and destruction from the very world they created. Hence, their main purpose is to prevent it from happening. Upon inheriting the guardian position, that being must not intervene with politics, war, and other worldly events.

'If only I had finished reading Arts and Magic. I kinda suspected death flags from the other guardians.' Naell wasn't able to finish the book, Arts and Magic. He remembered reading until passing out in Volume 4.

'...If I remember correctly, Volume 5's cover was Andrew at war with the Demons.'

"Once again, good evening Auntie."

"Hoot, Likewise, Little one."

"So what brings yo---" Before Naell could even finish his words, Athena started speaking calmly, but with a somewhat apologetic tone.