Chapter ✿ Fifty Eight

❝CURIOUS❞

CURIOUS

"There is no permanent damage... So I believe it will be temporary amnesia, but we will continue to monitor him," the doctor explains to Jay as Harry walks off. Jay nods and watches as Harry strolls away from Louis' room, sobbing harshly.

"Thank you," she mumbles and begins to walk to Louis' room, her feet heavy and body tired. It was just one thing after another at this point. She opens the door quietly and smiles at her little boy, receiving a sad one in reply.

"I didn't mean to make him cry..." Louis looks down at his intertwined hands. "I was actually just trying to piss him off," he giggles a little and bites his lip. "Is he okay?... Why is he back?"

"He has been back for a while now, Lou... The car accident has affected your memory." Jay sits herself next to him, rubbing his arm with her hand. "But they think you'll be okay... At least you're awake now."

"Was Harry driving? Is that why he is crying? He feels guilty?" Louis questions nervously, picking at his white hospital gown.

"No... No, Lou. Harry is crying because- maybe I should let him tell you," Jay sighs and rubs her hands over her face.

"Mum," Louis whines, grabbing her hand. "Please... You can't just not tell me."

"It's not my place," Jay says softly, a pursed-lip smile lacing her face. "Let me just have a minute to be happy to have you back and we can worry about everything else later."

"Okay... Where's Lottie?" He raises his eyebrows as he blinks tiredly

"Another story for another time," Jay snorts, leaning over to kiss his cheek. "Such a curious little thing, aren't you? I thought you'd be all sleepy and moody, but I should have known."

Louis giggles and pulls his blankets up a little. "When do we go home?"

"When the doctor says you can..." Jay rolls her eyes fondly and chuckles a little.

"When do I see Harry?" He asks shyly, lifting his shoulders a little. "I'm not mad at him. I won't yell at him, I promise."

Jay furrows her eyebrows at the change of mood, last time he had seen Harry for the first time he was definitely not as forgiving. "I'll go get him."

-*-

Harry hesitantly walks through the door, wiping his reddened eyes one more time as he does so. He just got his boy back and now everything is gone. All the memories, the struggles, the feelings, the love... They are back to square one and Harry deal with it. His heart is breaking once again.

"Haz?" Louis whispers and Harry locks eyes with him. The older man takes a deep breath and walks towards the boy, his breathing shaky as he continues to hold back tears. "I'm sorry I upset you," Louis eyes over Harry's face, sighing sadly at the red blotches that surround his eyes.

"You didn't, baby..." Harry whispers, sniffling a little.

"Baby?" Louis chuckles and leans his head back onto the soft pillow. He lolls his head towards Harry and gives him a small smile. "How was college? And Lottie?"

Harry tenses up and sits down. He offers Louis a small shrug and leans forward to grab his hand out of habit. When Louis doesn't flinch he rubs the pale skin of his hand softly. "Let's focus on you... How are you feeling?"

"Thirsty," Louis whispers in reply, cracking a small smile as he stares down at Harry's hand.

Harry springs into action immediately. "Thirsty? What can I get you? Water? Or?"

"Water will be fine, if that's okay," Louis giggles at Harry's frantic actions, his eyes feeling heavy as he watches the curly-haired boy.

"I'll be right back!" Harry tells him, leaning forward to press a kiss to Louis' cheek. Only after it's too late he realises what he has done. Louis sits there, wide-eyed and blush tinted.

"Harr-?"

"I'll get you that water!"