Chapter 8

Braylon's Pov

"Sure," I said and got out, I started walking to the steps and I was tackled. I looked to see Praxton. "Prax, get off."

"Fine," he grumbled and got off, I stood up. "Can I have a hug?" I hugged him.

"Save me please," I said and we pulled apart, I walked inside the house. I walked upstairs and dropped my bookbag and walked to the kitchen, I got a candy bar and jumped on the counter.

"Braylon, what have I told you about sitting on the counter?" Nick snapped.

"You're not my dad," I spat.

"I'm pretty aware of that Bray," he said. "Just get down and stop being an ass."

"I got one but I ain't one," I mumbled.

"What was that?" He asked.

"I said, I got one but I ain't one," I repeated.

"You're about to have a red cheek if you don't shut up," he said sternly and walked out. I got off the counter and walked into the living room.

"Hey Bray," my uncle said.

"Hey," I said lazily.

"That's it? Just a hey?" My aunt asked.

"What do you want me to say?" I snapped.

"Watch the attitude," my uncle said sternly.

"All she ever has is an attitude," Frankie snapped bumping into my shoulder walking past me.

"She needs to lose it," my older cousin snapped.

"Man, don't worry about me, worry about yourselves," I snapped.

"Excuse me?" My aunt said.

"You heard me, all you ever do is talk shit about me, I'm so sorry I'm not fucking perfect but I don't want to be," I spat.

"We know you're not perfect, it's quite obvious," Rachael said.

"How about you shutup?" I snapped.

"We are adults" my uncle said.

"Adults that are criticizing a teenager!" I yelled. "I can't help who I am."

"Who you are is a bitch," my cousin said.

"Oh trust and believe you haven't seen one yet," I snapped.

"I have to see one everyday," Cody snapped and got in my face. "It's not their fault you act like a spoiled ass brat." I slapped him, he looked back at me. He slapped me but harder, my cheek stung like crazy. "Don't complain now, you got what you deserved, you deserve a lot more but I'm not that mean." those words stung my heart and it hurt coming from my brother. I ran upstairs to my room and shut my door locking it, I walked over to my bed and climbed on. I pulled out my homework and remembered the essay, I started writing it.

"Amy, what have you done with that child?" Aunt Barbara asked.

"What're you talking about?" Mom asked.

"She's disrespectful, has an attitude, and has no self respect," uncle Larry said and I put my homework up and dropped my bookbag on the floor.

"She's not that ba-"

"She just snapped at all of us, slapped her brother, and just plain out rude," aunt April said.

"I done my best," mom said.

"You must've not done good enough," uncle Andrew said and I wanted to scream, I didn't want to do this anymore. I knew I couldn't go downstairs, I had to clear my head before I burst. I walked to the bathroom and I grabbed the shiny object, I gave myself cuts, I cleaned them. I grabbed my coat and opened my window and climbed down the vine fence, I jumped and landed. I walked down the street, I put on my hood and my hands in my pockets. It started raining but I didn't care.

I looked and saw the place, I walked to it and walked in. I looked and saw exactly what I wanted, I picked it up and it felt good to hear that sound again.

I bounced the basketball through my legs and walked on the court. I dribbled it and threw it up and it went in, I started doing tricks and layups.

"You're pretty good dude," I heard a boy's voice, I turned around and took off my hood. "You're a girl," I couldn't even make a smart remark, I felt the rough texture of the ball. "I want to know why a beautiful girl like you is doing playing basketball wet."

"You wouldn't understand," I said and he walked to me, he stuck his hands in his pockets. I shot the basketball and it went in.

"Try me," he said as he passed the ball to me.

"It's just life general," I said. "Life's so hard for me because I'm different from my family." he threw up the basketball and it went in.

"Well everyone wants happiness and doesn't want pain, but you can't have a rainbow without a little rain," he quoted and I smiled. "Life is an obstacle, you have to overcome it." He smiled.

"Thanks," I said and smiled. "I'm going to get back, I need a hot shower."

"If you ever wanna talk, just come here, this is where I am most of the time," He said.

"Thanks," I said and started walking away, wait, what's his name? "Hey, what's yo-" when I turned around he was gone, I shrugged and walked out. I walked home and climbed up my vine fence and climbed into the window. I walked to my bathroom, I stripped and climbed into the hot shower. I took a shower and got out, I dried off and got dressed. I walked out of my closet and grabbed my phone, I unlocked my door.

"Braylon," mom called but I ignored her. "Braylon, please come down here," I knew she was my mom but, she let them talk about me like I was a dog. "Braylon Paige." I just looked through Instagram, my door opened and Cody walked in.

"Mom wants you," he said but I ignored him. "Braylon," I knew he was getting frustrated but I didn't care. "Braylon Paige, I know you hear me," he had anger that time. "I swear Braylon if I have to come over there," I went to my home screen and clicked on another app, my phone was yanked away. I looked at Cody. "Get up and come downstairs." I stood up and I walked past him and walked downstairs into the kitchen.

"Bray, are you going to eat?" Mom asked and I shook my head no. "Braylon, you need to eat," I walked back towards the stairs, I walked up them and into my room. I put on Codys red plaid boxers and a cami. I walked downstairs, truthfully at this point I didn't care, nobody was here. I've known Nick for a year and a half now, it's not like he would be new to the things I wear.

Don't ask.

I walked over and grabbed a granola bar and Nick looked at me.

"Seriously Bray?" He asked.

"Nick, honestly I can't even argue with you right now," I said.

"Are they mine or Codys?" He asked.

"Codys," I said. "Yours are to-never mind," he smirked and I held back one. "Shut up." He chuckled and I went to walk past him but he grabbed my arm.

"Come here," he said and I looked at him, he turned my face. He touched my cheek and I winced. "Damn Bray, he got you good."

"Thanks for telling me, my stinging cheek didn't give me any hints." I said smartly.

"You hit him first," he said.

"They acted like I was nothing," I said. "Do you even know the last time I've heard someone tell me they love me and mean it?" He shook his head. "I don't even know, they wonder why I'm like this."

"Hey, just go get some sleep." he said and I started to walk away and he grabbed me again. He got next to my ear. "And don't let me catch you again hurting yourself like that." I walked upstairs to my room and I fell asleep.