㉔What Do You Want Me To Do?

After Namjoon and Yaesung left the two boys alone, they went to Jeongguk's father. By the time they got there, he was awake and trying to get out of the guard's grip vainly.

He was so badly beaten there wasn't a part of his face that wasn't distorted. Yaesung treated his wounds since he had to, and once he was done, Namjoon told him to never go there again. He knew that suing him wouldn't lead to anything since he had enough money to just pay the bail.

Jeongguk's chin rested on his shoulder, his arms wrapped around his nape, his knees set on each of his sides. Taehyung, unfortunately, couldn't hug him because his back was filled with cuts of all sizes, so he could only hold his nape and rake his fingers through his hair.

"Little bun?" He heard a suave hum in response. Thankfully, his tears had ceased since it had been a while after the whole incident. "How about I take you to my house? It'll help you relax if you take a shower. And you have to sleep in a bed tonight. You can sleep in mine. It's really soft and comfortable. You'll love it."

The younger cracked a tiny smile as he lowered his head. "Can I?"

"Of course, little bun. Anything you want."

"Anything?"

"Literally anything. Name it and you'll have it." The corner of his lips twitched upwards as his eyes sparkled by Jeongguk's endearing smile.

"Then... can you sleep next to me? When I have nightmares, I always go to hyung's room and sleep in the extra bed he has in there."

Taehyung tucked a strand of hair behind his ear as he smiled sadly. "You have nightmares, little bun?"

He nodded, still not meeting his gaze. "I'm still scared and—and now it happened again." He shivered at the thought of his father throwing him onto the table and beating him up like six months ago.

He cupped his cheeks then, his tender eyes anchored on his agitated face. "You don't have to be scared. I won't let him get anywhere near you again."

"Promise?" Jeongguk breathed out as he closed his eyes, his forehead puckering in fear of seeing his father again.

"Promise," Taehyung whispered, and oh how much he wanted to squeeze him in his hug and take all his pain and fear away. "I promise you, little bun. You're safe now." He noticed Jeongguk opening his eyes which were overflowed with tears once again, his bottom lip trembling. "No, no, no more crying, Jeonggukie, please." Sadness swept over his face as he stroked his cheeks. "He can't hurt you anymore."

"No, it's just... you—you care", he choked out. "I thought you didn't, but—but you care... about me." Tears flowed down his cheeks, but Taehyung collected every single one with delicate thumbs.

"Fuck, Jeongguk... I do. I care so much it's driving me crazy," he uttered, his voice shaking. "I was awake when Namjoon told you to leave from the hospital. I told him to make you leave."

Jeongguk sniffled as he unwrapped his hands from his nape and instead placed them on each side of his neck, holding it in a loose grip. "What?"

"I woke up and saw you there. You weren't supposed to be there, Jeongguk. I knew how scared and hurt you would be. I couldn't... see you like this again. I heard every word Namjoon said to you, and I know I'm late, but... it's not true. What he said. I mean, it was true. I was like that before. I didn't care about anyone other than Namjoon, Hoseok, and Jimin. I never got close with anyone else, but you changed that. I don't know how you did it, but you made me care about you, and you made me want to have you in my life, even though I shouldn't."

Jeongguk's tears stopped, leaving a gloomy expression on his face. "Why shouldn't you?"

"Because if Kang finds out about you, you will be in danger."