㊲You Know What I Heard?

"Kook, will you please tell me what happened?"

Yoongi arrived outside of Taehyung's house as fast as he could, and he had been trying to get a word out of him for a while, but all Jeongguk did was cry.

"Kook, please. I can't see you like this. Just tell me something."

He held his knees tightly, his head resting on them as tears fell nonstop. "It h-hurts so—so much."

"Is it over? Did he leave you?" Yoongi parked the car, and it was still silent as they got out and headed towards the door.

Jeongguk felt a hand grab his wrist, leading him to the couch, and although all he wanted was to be left alone and cry in peace, he didn't protest. "I left him. And yes, it's over."

Yoongi wrapped his arm around his shoulders and pulled him against his body. "Why did you do it if you're hurting like this?"

Jeongguk didn't have an answer for this. Because even if they stayed together, he would still be devastated when Taehyung would get hurt. Together or not, he would still cry and be heartbroken. But Jeongguk did make a mistake. They still had today, and they didn't have to care about tomorrow. But he chose to care about tomorrow more.

With that harrowing realization, he could only cry and cry and cry on his hyung's shoulder until he didn't have any more tears left.

. . .

Taehyung shuffled towards the window when Jeongguk walked out of the house and leaned against it, gazing at him through his tears as he waited for his hyung to pick him up. There wasn't anything to describe what he felt other than pure devastation.

Jeongguk made his messed-up life brighter, he brought joy and peace, he made him feel like he was worth something, like he had a meaning, like his life — his existence had a meaning. And he took everything away in the blink of an eye.

Or maybe Taehyung didn't fight enough to make him stay.

When he saw him scuttle towards Yoongi's car, another surge of agony rushed through his insides, so intense his body began trembling. A howl spewed from his mouth as he staggered towards the small table and flipped it over. Screams of suffering surrounded him as he kicked it out of his way and grasped the bookshelf, smashing it onto the floor.

He collapsed onto his knees, clutching his shirt and tugging it as he continued sobbing harder and harder.

He hated everything. His mother, Kang, the club, Wang, his life, himself. Jeongguk was the only one he could never hate. He couldn't, even at that moment. Jeongguk would be better off without him in his life, anyway, but how could he accept that? How could his shattered heart accept that?

He cried for so long he couldn't keep his eyes open anymore. He couldn't feel his hands that were gripping his shirt anymore. Everything felt numb and just... empty. He could never imagine that hiring Jeongguk that day would be the best and worst thing that happened in his whole life.

All the tears he could shed drained out of him as he curled up into a ball in his bed, facing the side Jeongguk used to sleep in. His fingers crawled towards his pillow, and he caressed it as a wan, crooked smile bloomed on his lips. He gripped it and brought it to his chest, his bottom lip quivering once again. He buried his face into the pillow as he clasped it in his hug and closed his tearful eyes.

Of course, he couldn't possibly sleep, no matter how worn out he already was. His mind was filled with Jeongguk and the memories he had with him. Even if they were officially together for only a week, it was the best and most joyful week he ever had.