㉗I Don't Feel Like This Anymore

"I promised I'll make the pain go away if you let me carry you to my office. I promised it'll hurt only for a second when I had to pick you up. I promised it'll be okay when Yaesung had to lift your shirt and check your back. But these aren't the promises you're referring to, right?" Taehyung chuckled bitterly, his eyes wandering his gloomy look and pouty lips.

"I promised no one will hurt you again. I promised I won't let your father get anywhere near you again. I promised you're safe now from him. I promised I'll do anything I can to protect you from Kang. And I promised I'll leave you alone if you want me to." He edged closer, not failing to notice how Jeongguk ducked his head.

"Are you afraid that I won't keep my promises? There's only one promise I can't keep, and if promises mean so much to you, you can figure this out." Jeongguk didn't seem like he would answer anytime soon, so he placed his fingers beneath his chin and lifted his head in a slow, gentle motion. "Do you know which one is it?"

Jeongguk's eyes darted around as he took a tiny step back. "That no one will hurt me again."

"Why?"

"Because, um, you said if Kang finds out about me, he'll come for me, and you promised you'll do anything you can to not let that happen, but you can't promise that it won't happen."

A sad smile stretched on Taehyung's face as he continued gazing at him with soft eyes. "You're right. And I'm sorry for making that promise because I can't know for sure that I can keep it. You were just so scared at that moment, and I-I didn't think, I couldn't think before talking. I was so... lost when I saw you like that. I was scared too."

"You were?"

"Yes. I was worried and scared. I understood then how you felt when you had found me beaten or when you saw me in the hospital." He brushed his hair back, letting his hand rest on his nape. "So, do you still think that I don't remember the promises I made to you?"

Jeongguk's lips twitched into a faint smile. "You do."

"I don't want to make promises I won't keep. I don't like that either. I know it's difficult to trust me because I hurt you before, but... please, have a little faith in me. It would be nice... if someone believed in me. But it will make me happy if that someone is you."

Jeongguk was left once again amazed at his heart-fluttering words. "How can you... How can you have the right words every time? And why don't I know what to say again?"

Taehyung chuckled softly as he shook his head. "Ah, little bun." He curled his arm around his nape and caressed his head with the other as the younger clung to him right away. "They're not the right words. It's just how I feel." He drew a small kiss on the side of his head, and to Jeongguk's discontent, he pulled away.

"I just don't know you well yet. I don't know a lot of things about you, and I don't know how you are, you know, the real you."

"That's okay, I don't know you either. The question for you now is do you want to?"

"Are you asking if I want to know you?"

"Yes."

"Of course I do."

"Don't use that tone," Taehyung mumbled with a slight frown. "Was I supposed to know that?"

"Weren't you?"

"Didn't I just say not to use that tone?" he scolded him playfully as he cupped his face, and the adorable giggle he educed from Jeongguk was enough to bring a fond smile to his features.

"I'm sorry," he said, still chuckling.

"Don't be, I'm just messing with you." He pushed a clump of hair behind his ear, his gaze glued to his smiley face. "That means you'll talk to me again tomorrow?