Chapter 29 - 2400 Years of Kindness

"I'm not hiding anything...I'll go with the marriage..." he insisted, finally giving up on resisting.

Satisfied with his sudden change of answer, I grinned, "That's my son~ Now let's hurry! I want to introduce you as soon as possible!"

Y/N POV

My eyes fluttered wide open as I found myself in the same room as before. I slowly sat up, waiting for my mind to clear up and when it did, I remembered everything - the woman, the history, the reason I'm here and then...the mirror.

'No, no. That's not them. They would never do such things even if they never loved me. That witch is trying to play with me...I can't fall into her trap...'

The door suddenly opened and my body immediately tensed in defence. "Y/N~! You're awake! Just in time~!" Azalea fully entered the room as she pulled onto something.

"Let me introduce you to my son, Merlin. Your soon-to-be husband~!" A mature and handsome young male siren swan through the door. His tail was of a dark charcoal shade as well as his hair. At the sight of me, he glared at Azalea, "You never told me she was human..."

Azalea chuckled, "Who said she was human?" Merlin furrowed his brows in frustration, "Mother...If I had gone crazy somehow, am I seeing a human or not?"

She smirked, "Not to worry, son~ She's one of us but still in the middle of transformation~"

He looked at her in disbelief, "What does that even mean?!", trying to stay as calm as possible.

She glared at him, "Enough questions! I'll leave you alone with your bride, for now."

"Mother!!" Locking the door, Azalea trapped the both of us in the room. An awkward atmosphere rose between us as he stared at the door in silence while I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling.

"...why..." he breathed to himself.

"Y/N, right?" he asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence between us. Immediately, I sat up, "Y-yes!"

"You're human?" he interrogated again. I nodded, "I-i am, but apparently your mother had done something to my body when I was born."

Slowly, he swam to my side, "I'm surprised by your reaction...you don't seem to panic, considering how rare our type of species is." I weakly smiled, "I've encountered many weird things, I guess...and your mother had already been bugging me these past few months so...I'm not surprised that I ended up in this situation."

He tilted his head, "She did? ...I knew she was plotting something..." I observed his clenched fists as he cursed under his breath.

"What did my mother do to you?" he asked, gazing into my eyes.

"Aah...I forgot...your mother hasn't told you anything..." I remembered when Azalea had kept the history and crap from Merlin.

"Anything? About what?"

I shook my head, "It's nothing...I think it's better if your mother personally explained everything to you..."

He nodded, "...I still don't get it though...why would my mother seek a human for marriage? She always told me to stay away from humans and yet..."

I blankly stared at my hands, "You...hate humans too, right?"

He immediately denied, " never hated humans. In fact, I'm always travelling to the human world. It's more fun."

I rolled my eyes, "Fun? You probably sing weird songs and kill any human who comes to you..."

"That is not true. Ever since I was born I had never eaten a single human." he denied strongly, causing me to look up at him, "T-then how do you survive?"

"Just the basic fish and seaweed. It is not necessary for a siren to eat humans, but my mother has some grudge against them so...she chooses to devour them." he admitted as my chest swirled in disgust.

"So...you genuinely appreciate humanity?" I asked and he nodded in reply.

He scratched his face, "I had...also...fallen in love with a human being..." my eyes widened from the unexpected.

"You know, boss, not all sirens are evil~ some choose not to eat humans~ and... if you really know them, they are not all that bad~" I thought back to my conversation with Holland.

A small smile appeared on my face, "...That's nice to know."

He averted his gaze, "Please don't tell my mother...she'll rage if she knew. Plus, this was also the reason why I didn't want to marry anyone."

At his depressed expression, I timidly placed my hand on his shoulder, "Don't worry. I won't tell."

"Anyways, I'm going to find a way to get us out of this situation!" he said in determination.

I stared at his eyes - the eyes that were telling me that he was telling the truth, "T-thanks, Merlin."

"Lee Jaeseok. Call me Jaeseok. Well, only when we are alone...it's my human name and I like it better than 'Merlin'." he blurted.

I laughed quietly, "Okay, Jaeseok."

During our short time together, Jaeseok and I had gotten to know each other better. It was somehow relaxing with him that I had forgotten why I was brought underwater.

"Y-you're 2400 years old?!" I exclaimed as I scanned his young body. His fingers gently dug through his hair, "Yeah, you could say we are immortals~ but I'm 24 in the human world!" he said with a wide grin.

"Wow...must be cool to live forever~" I complimented but he shook his head, "I'd rather be human. After living for so long, you lose interest in many things...I believe having a time limit provides excitement! I had...always dreamed of being human ever since I met my partner."

I smiled, "You must really love her then."

He laughed awkwardly, "Actually...it's a 'he'." My eyes widened when I understood what he meant before I smiled brightly, "He must be very lucky~"

I giggled when I saw Jaeseok slightly pink cheeks, "...Hey...we're going to get through this, Jaeseok. We will." I deeply stared into his crystal dark orbs as he nodded.

"Oooh~ I see you two are bonding nicely~" Azalea welcomed herself in as her eyes lightened at our closeness, "See, son? She's good~ Perfect to be your wife."

"I told you woman! I'm not marrying anyone!" I yelled. She pulled a really fake sad face, "Aww...Y/N~ That's too bad~ My son was looking forward to this marriage~"

"Mother... I only agreed to it because you forced me." Merlin defended, as he received a glare from her. "Well Merlin...since you agreed to it...I'll just need Y/N's agreement~ and everything will be as right as rain~"

My brows furrowed, "Never...you think your stupid illusions will change my mind? You're wrong! My bond with BTS is much stronger than you think it is!"

She grinned, "Merlin...may I ask you to give me and your bride some privacy~?"

He stiffened, "...What are you going to do to her?"

Her tongue clicked, "Nothing~ I just need to talk to my future daughter-in-law~"

As he was forced out of the room, he glanced worriedly at me before powerlessly leaving.

"Y/N..." Azalea inched herself towards me, "Have you forgotten everything I told you before?" she began combing her sharp nails through my hair, "There's no bond between people. There's no love in this world. People only get together for a purpose - the ability to manipulate each other's benefits."

I closed my eyes, not willing to listen to her, "...I have more proof~ Would you like to see more?" I felt my eyes being forced open as my head turned to face the mirror, "N-no!"

"Watch Y/N. Watch very closely...Feel the betrayal and understand the non-existence of love."

༺♥༻∞༺♥༻✧༺♥༻∞༺♥༻✧༺♥༻∞༺♥༻✧༺♥༻