Chapter 35 - Suffocation of a Smile

At my name, they gasped weakly, "Y-you're Y/N?!" the man exclaimed.

Instantly, the man groaned in pain as the siren flicked a finger at him, "How dare you interrupt my conversation!!"

"I-i'm sorry, milady!" the man apologised in agony before being released from the invisible force of torture.

She smirked, "Do you know them Y/N?"

I blankly stared at the middle-aged couple, tilting my head to figure out who they were, "No, I don't..."

The woman's lips began to quiver while the man quietly embraced his lover. At such a depressing sight, my heart unknowingly thumped at an irregular pace.

"Would it be okay if I killed them?" Azalea asked, clearly entertained by the situation.

My eyebrows lifted in confusion, "...Why are you asking me?"

She grinned, "Just because~"

I closed my eyes, frustrated by Azalea's weird behaviour, "Hmph! You brought me here by force and now, you are asking for my consent to kill? What are you thinking? Do whatever you want. I don't care."

"Okay~ Then I shall take that as a 'yes'!" Azalea concluded. Uninterested, I headed straight for the door until the woman opened her mouth, "♪I thought I only closed my eyes for a while but I am old already♪"

(Song: Mother to Daughter by Yang Hee Eun~ Please listen if interested~ ♥)

My feet immediately stopped at the familiar song, "♪I thought you would always be a little child but you've already grown up♪"

Tears spilled from my eyes as I turned to look at the couple who smiled at me.

- Flashback (From Chapter 2) -

"Dear...what should we call her?" I heard a voice. A woman's voice. It was weak and hinted deep sadness but was filled with love.

"Let's call her, Y/N..." Another voice. A man's one now. He sounded like he was crying. 'Who?' Everything was pitch black but the faint voices echoed in the darkness.

The woman began to sing a song. For some reason, I felt safe and warm. It seemed close to my heart, 'Who?'

"Hurry! Please take her away!" Suddenly, the sweet atmosphere shifted intensely. I felt two pairs of lips on my forehead.

"We'll miss you Y/N...The next time we see you, I hope to sing this song together. Stay safe. We love you~" The warmth disappeared as I floated in the dark abyss. Their panicked voices gradually faded, '...Who are you?'

My eyes fluttered open and I was greeted by the plain ceiling, 'A dream?'

- Flashback End -

'This song...was always sung by this woman in my dreams.' I suddenly realised.

"♪Can you forgive me for not being a better mother~? Would you promise to be a better mother than me?♪"

"Shut up!! Shut up!!" Azalea's raged voice echoed throughout the room as the walls vibrated in shock. She swiftly lifted a finger and the couple immediately fell to the floor, gasping for air as if they were being choked to death.

I suddenly realised what was happening, "Azalea! What are you doing?!" I caught onto her wrist, glaring at her.

"You said I could kill them~" She said with a wide grin.

"I never said anything! Release them!" I demanded.

"Oh~? And why should I?"

"B-because... ...because...they're my parents!!" I said with tears flowing uncontrollably from my eyes.

Finally, I found them.

At my remark, Azalea smirked, "Hmph! What kind of parents would not recognise their own child? Remember: they sacrificed you to me so you're under my care! Their existence doesn't matter anymore! After you were born, I had already erased your profile from the world since you finally belonged to the Siren Family but created a fake document just for the hospital's sake! After you were taken care of by the hospital, I was planning to take you away. But they hid you for 21 years. I can never forgive them for what they have done...so you might as well watch them die!"

Azalea immediately disappeared in thin air, "Azalea!!"

I immediately ran to the couple's side. Their faces were getting paler and paler, their skin - cold as ever, "I-i'm so sorry...Mother...Father."

They only smiled, concealing the pain they were experiencing. They tried to open their mouths but nothing they said made sense. They were actually suffocating from Azalea's magic.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry..." I closed my eyes as I cried until I felt hands caressing my hair gently. Their weak palms somehow found the energy to pat my head as they smiled.

Mother silently mouthed something, "smile"

Staring into their loving eyes, I did my best to smile until they gradually closed their eyes, hands limp to the floor.

"No...no...no...Wake up!! Wake up!!" I roughly shook their shoulders trying to gain a reaction until my own body went weak.

"Y/N..." Jaeseok's voice rang through my ears but I was too weak to look at him.

'This...was all my fault. All because of my stupidity...They died...because of me.'

After finally finding my parents, they had effortlessly slipped through my fingers again like water.

"NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" Immediately I was enveloped in a light darker than obsidian.

Azalea POV

"Aaaah perfect timing~" Hearing Y/N's scream, I immediately arrived back in the disgusting room.

'Ohohoho~ Finally! Found the last ingredient to her despair~' Satisfied with such strong reaction, my teeth revealed its wicked shine.

Y/N's body exposed a mesmerising light, darker than any black rose, sweeter than any blood, "...Are you looking at this Merlin? Your queen is..."

The light subsided, revealing a gorgeous siren of a black scaled tail with her hair, longer than before. Her dark eyes emotionlessly stared into ours.

"...finally here."

Merlin's eyes wavered in terror, "Y/N..."

༺♥༻∞༺♥༻✧༺♥༻∞༺♥༻✧༺♥༻∞༺♥༻✧༺♥༻