[25]

Over the next days, Jay worked on the job and became more comfortable with the citizens of Snowdin. He delivered mail and packages on time at the correct directions with ease and had no trouble with the delivery travel.
Some monsters made positive comments about Jay and sometimes offered him to stay in their house for lunch or dinner.
The surprising thing was that Flowey didn't seem to appear anywhere Jay went, no clue or quick glance catches that confirmed his stalking figure. [I've got a bad feeling about this.] Jay thought, worried about where and when the psychotic flower could show up.
At the end of the week, the mailhouse bunny man handed out the next mail delivery destinations for next week. Location: the Waterfall district. For some reason, he stared to get nervous. Not because he assumed that Flowey was probably waiting there, but because there were other new monsters that didn't know him. [Think: how do I prepare to go out there?] he thought as he went back to the house. While he was on his way towards the house, he spotted one of the gaster skeleton's sentry posts. Then an idea came to him.
[What if I ask Papyrus for fighting lessons? Maybe I could learn more defense techniques if I were to encounter either Flowey of any monster that would try to attack me.] Jay thought. With that in mind, he headed towards the forest of Snowdin in search for Sans's older brother. It was easy to find Papyrus since he always went to different posts from time to time.
"HELLO THERE, JAY! WHAT BRINGS YOU HERE?" Papyrus greeted him once he spotted Jay. "Hello, Pap. I...I came to ask you for something." Jay said. "WHAT IS IT?" Papyrus asked. "I came to ask if you could teach me more defense techniques. The reason for that is because the new district that I'm delivering mail to is the Waterfall one. So...please?" Jay explained to the tall gaster skeleton.
Papyrus looked skeptical at first when he said "SO, WHAT YOU ARE ASKING ME IS FOR.......A MOCK BATTLE? NYES!! I WILL ACCEPT!!", but then looked excited afterwards. "Good. So...how do we begin?" Jay asked, stepping back a little to give themselves space.
"FIRST, LET'S SEE HOW GOOD YOU ARE AT DODGING. YOU CAN'T JUST SIMPLY STAND THERE WITH YOUR SHIELD UP. ONE MUST MOVE QUICKLY IF THEY DON'T WANT TO GET HURT." Papyrus said, summing a large bone from the air and grabbing it. "True." Jay said, getting ready for the first attack.

Papyrus raised up his large bone in his hand, which summoned many more bones. Then he rapidly pointed the bone at him, making the other floating bones fly towards Jay. Instinct took over Jay as he immediately jumped aside to evade the bones. The next wave came after the first one, and Jay jumped to the left.
"NOT BAD! LETS SEE IF WE PICK UP THE PACE! DO NOT WORRY, I WILL RESTRAIN MYSELF IF I'M ABOUT TO HIT YOU!" Papyrus said after five waves and evasions. The bones that came flying to Jay went faster and faster, making him quicken the rhythm of dodging. One bone went flying directly at him with no time for Jay to dodge, making him cover himself with his wings and pulling up the semi-sphere shield. The bone hit the shield and bounced off from it, saving Jay from damage.
"IMPRESSIVE! THAT WAS ONE INCREDIBLE BLOCK! NOW LETS MAKE THINGS COMLEX WITH MY BLUE ATTACK!" Papyrus said before holding out his right hand, which started glowing dark blue. Like he previously experienced, Jay felt heavy as the blue energy surrounded him. Seconds later, a message appeared on his eyes:

[JUMP MODE: ENGAGED]

Jay's feet now turned dark blue as he felt energy travel from his chest to his legs. It's more, he felt that his feet were more stronger than before. Before he knew it, Papyrus has let out another attack. This time it was a pair of vertical-approaching bones, one solid and the other one transparently blue. Without thinking another second, Jay crouched and jumped up more higher than expected. Jay yelped when he felt himself flip over in midair as he tried to straighten up for the landing. After he landed he readied himself for the next ones to come. The jumps became more easy to calculate and achieve further on.
However, Jay tripped on one solid bone and fell down. When he got up, he saw that a transparent blue bone was heading towards him. There was no time to react, so Jay placed his arms in front in an X to protect himself and closed his eyes in hopes that his shield would activate. Yet when he did that, his arms glowed blue and he felt that his feet gripped the ground for more stability. A slight spark of smooth energy seemed to trespass him...but then it was gone. When Jay opened his eyes, there was nothing at all. No more bones or any different attacks that were heading his way. When he looked behind him, Jay saw that the transparent blue bone was continuing its way away from him until it disappeared.
[Did...did it just...materialize through me and come out to the other side??] Jay thought, a shiver going down his back when he imagined again how weird it has been to feel something nearly solid go through him and out. Jay turned his attention back to Papyrus who was getting ready for the next attack. The gaster skeleton let out another pair of bones, this time going the opposite direction on the other side. Jay jumped up, still on blue mode, passing through the gaps between the bones. After many attacks that included all of the attacks combined in one move, Papyrus announced "NOW, PREPARE YOURSELF FOR MY SPECIAL ATTACK!!!" as he lifted his bone upwards. The ground shook, and out from the ground went up countless clusters of bones. [Woah! That's a lot of them! But, if I'm able to jump high enough, I'll be able to get through!] Jay though as he calculated his jump distances before running towards the bone clusters. He jumped up and landed on the ground before jumping up to avoid getting hit by the other bones. Finally, the ground shook more intensely as a large —no...MASSIVE!— bone emerged from the ground. [Oh snap! That's HUGE!] he thought. Jay was unsure if he would be able to evade it by running aside, but then he was somehow determined to clear this last obstacle. So, picking up speed, Jay ran and jumped...really high!!! He went over the tall bone and landed safely on the ground.
Jay let out a relieved sigh as his Jump Mode turned off, shaking his wings to stretch and standing up again. When Jay looked at Papyrus, he noticed the gaster skeleton looking at him with his eyes nearly popping out of his eye sockets.
"ARE YOU ALRIGHT? THAT WAS INCREDIBLE!!! HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO JUMP THAT HIGH?? NOW THAT I THINK OF IT, I MAY HAVE GONE A LITTLE FAR ON THAT ATTACK!" Papyrus said after recovering from his awed state. "No. Actually...that was awesome!! Now I think I'll be able to get through the Waterfall district with no trouble!" Jay said, then he walked to Papyrus and took his bony hand to shake it. "Thank you, Papyrus. I really mean it." Jay said, looking up to the gaster skeleton and smiling. Papyrus looked like he was about to cry when he said, "WOWIE!! I...I'M SO HAPPY! I APPRECIATE THE THANKS, JAY! I AM SO GLAD THAT I HAD THE CHANCE TO FIGHT AND TEACH YOU BATTLE STRATEGIES! I SEE THAT YOU ARE NOW READY TO GO FAR INTO THE UNDERGROUND WITH THIS PRACTICE! I WIIL NOW GO TO TELL SANS THE NEWS! FEEL FREE TO COME BY MY POSTS! NYEHEHEHEHE!!" before running off toward Grillby's after saying goodbye.
[Wow...I guess he's right. Now then, lets see how I do next week when I venture out further into the Underground. I feel more ready and welcome in this place than before. I can't wait what lies beyond this place!] Jay thought before heading towards the house.