[34]

"OHHHH YES!" Mettaton's robotic voice came from the dark.
"WELCOME, BEAUTIES...TO TODAY'S QUIZ SHOW!!!" Mettaton exclaimed as a light turned on to illuminate his body, who was carrying a microphone. Just then, there was cheering and shouting as colorful show lights shone and party confetti rained down on everyone. Also, a big sign that read "GAME SHOW" lowered down to hang above them.
"OH BOY! I CAN ALREADY TELL ITS GONNA BE A GREAT SHOW! EVERYONE GIVE A BIG HAND FOR OUR WONDERFUL NEW CONTESTANT!" Mettaton said, gesturing towards Jay before clapping his hands as the "audience" sounds also made clapping noises. Jay was extremely confused as the clapping of hands noise continued. [Me? A contestant? Really?] Jay thought.
As if he picked the thought from his head(or simply reading Jay's expression of confusion), Mettaton said, "NEVER PLAYED BEFORE, SON? NO PROBLEM! ITS SIMPLE! THERE IS ONLY ONE SIMPLE RULE: ANSWER CORRECTLY...OR GET SHOCKED!". [Uhhhh....oh no.] Jay thought. Before he had time to speak, Mettaton has already begun with his quiz.
"LET'S START WITH AN EASY ONE!!" Mettaton said as he moved to his right to show the first question on the projector wall. It asked:
[What is the prize for answering correctly?]
[A. Money
[B. Mercy
[C. New car
[D. More questions
There was only 30 seconds(way faster than usual) to answer correctly. Jay made up his mind quickly and was deciding to choose option B. However, Alphys, behind Mettaton, made the letter D with his hands while making a face that said "Trust me on this one! Choose the answers I give you!". Jay obeyed and chose the [D. more questions] option, since it seemed like the best decision to avoid what the out-of-alignment robot said he would do to him.
"CORRECT!! SOUNDS LIKE YOU GET IT! NOW, FOR THE NEXT QUESTION!" Mettaton said cheerfully as the show continued.
[What is the king's full name?]
[A. Lord Fluffybuns
[B. Fuzzy Pushover
[C. Asgore Dreemurr
[D. Doctor Friendship.
This one he knew because of a conversation he had with Papyrus a week ago. So he chose option [C. Asgore Dreemurr] almost immediately. "CORRECT! WHAT A TERRIFIC ANSWER!" Mettaton exclaimed.
Next question was:
[What are robots made of?]
[A. Hopes & Dreams
[B. Metal & Magic
[C. Snips & Snails
[D. Sugar & Spice
[Option B sounds kind of controversial since robots don't contain magic, but I'll go for that one] Jay though before selecting option B. "TOO EASY FOR YOU, HUH? HERE'S ANOTHER ONE FOR YOU!" Mettaton said as the show continued.
The question asked a very similar question asked in his school about two trains traveling at different speeds and at what time one would arrive first.
[CALCULATING.......]
[APPROXIMATELY: 32.858 MIN]
Jay was already doing his calculations in his head, but his system aided him by calculating it faster since there was so little time to answer the question. "WONDERFUL! I AM ASTOUNDED, FOLKS! BUT DON'T 'COUNT' ON YOUR VICTORY, SON..." Mettaton exclaimed. Dr. Gaster and Alphys were the ones actually astounded, and Jay smiled with a wink. Next up was:
[How many flies are in this jar?]
[A. 54
[B. 40
[C. 35
[D. 23
Again, his system aided him by making his sight more focused than ever. [20...30...40...50...54!] Jay thought, then picked option A. "COREECT! YOU ARE VERY SMART AND LUCK TODAY!!" Mettaton said. Next up was a "memory game" which showed a picture of a monster.
[What monster is this?]
[A. Froggit
[B. Whimsun
[C. Moldsmal
[D. Mettaton.
This was a very tricky one. Yet when he heard the name Froggit and the picture of the monster, which looked like a frog, Jay was sure that he knew the answer. However, it was the wrong one. "WRONG ANSWER!" Mettaton said loudly, then pointed his finger to Jay. He had no time to react as a bolt of electricity spurted from Mettaton's finger, shocking him. Jay yelped as the electricity shocked him and made all his joints hurt, bending down a bit. Dr. Alphys made a scared face, meaning he was trying to figure out a way to get Jay out of the show but couldn't think of something. Dr. Gaster was eyeing a pair of tools, seeming to edge towards them in hopes of doing something with them to deactivate Mettaton from behind.
"LETS MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE! SEE IF YOU COULD GET THIS ONE!" Mettaton said. Next up was:
[Would you smooch a ghost?]
All of the options were the same, which were labeled "Heck yeah". So Jay simply chose a random option. "GREAT ANSWER! I LOVE IT!!! NOW HERE'S A SIMPLE ONE!" Mettaton exclaimed. Next question was:
[How many letters are in the name Mettaton nnnnnnnnnnnnnn] that kept spamming constant Ns. Even the numbers of the options increased.
[A. 50
[B. 45
[C. 47
[D. 49
Option C matched with his calculations, so he chose the option. "OF COURSE THAT WAS EASY FOR YOU!! NOW, TIME TO BRING OUT THE BIG GUNS!!!" Mettaton said. Next up was:
[In the dating simulation video game "Mew Mew Cutie", what is Mew Mew' s favorite food?]
Before Jay began to choose, Alphys suddenly interrupted by exclaiming, "Oh! Oh! I know! The answer is simple! It's Snail Ice Cream!!! In the fourth chapter everyone goes to the beach! And she buys ice cream for her friends! But snail ice cream is the only favorite ice cream of...of....!" before trailing off and realizing that she had given out the answer. [Oops. I think that was a wrong move.] Jay thought as Alpys began sweating.
"ALPHYS, ALPHYS, ALPHYS. YOU AREN'T HELPING OUR CONTESTANT, ARE YOU? OOOHHHH! YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME! I'LL ASK A QUESTION...YOU'LL BE SURE TO ANSWER!" Mettaton said in a disappointing manner once he realized what was going on. Alphys shook her head in disagreement(and that was true since he helped Jay on only one answer). The question that Mettaton asked, which made Alphys make "Don't answer any!" gestures, was:
[Who does Dr. Alphys have a crush on?]
[A. Undyne
[B. King Asgore
[C. The contestant
[D. Don't know.
Jay was sure Mettaton created this one to embarrass Dr. Alphys, but he wasn't going to let the electric-shocker tin can get away with it. And, besides, Jay didn't know if Dr. Alphys had a crush on someone or who it was. So he chose the last option that was "Don't know".
"CORRECT. DR. ALPHYS HAS A CRUSH ON...THE UNKNOWABLE. YOU SEE, ALPHYS BELIEVES THERE IS A PERSON OUT THERE. SOMEONE WATCHING HIM. SOMEONE WHO THINKS HE IS "CUTE" AND "INTERESTING". HELLO, THEORETICAL PERSON. DR. ALPHYS LIKES YOU. TOO BAD YOU AREN'T REAL." Mettaton said with a derisive laughtrack.
"Excuse me, but we HAVE done research about this. We have theorized that there ARE multiple universes out there. Someday, if possible, we could meet them." Dr. Gaster steeped forward, seeming a bit offended by Mettaton and at the same time trying to defend Dr. Alphys.
"MY DEAR ALPHYS SAID THE EXACT SAME THING ABOUT HER FAVORITE SHOWS, DR. GASTER. BUT I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. MYSTERY PERSON, IF YOU ARE OUT THERE...GIVE US A SIGN RIGHT NOW!" Mettaton challenged, looking around.

. . . . . . . .

Nothing at all.

"WELL...THAT SETTLES IT, DOESN'T IT? WITH DR. ALPHYS HELPING YOU, THERE IS NO DRAMATIC TENSION IN THE SHOW! WE CERTAINLY CANNOT GO ON LIKE THIS! HOWEVER, THIS WAS JUST THE PILOT EPISODE! NEXT UP: MORE DRAMA! MORE ACTION! MORE VIOLENCE!! UNTIL NEXT TIME, MY FRIENDS!!" Mettaton announced before tucking his limbs inside his frame and blasting off into the air through the roof.

. . . . .

"I'm...I'm terribly sorry about this!!" Dr. Alphys said with an apologetic bow. "Well...that was something." Dr. Gaster said.
"It's ok. In the future, there may be a solution to all problems. Like I remembered, not every problem has 'give up' for a solution. Although...my joints are about to give up right this instant." Jay said in a weak voice, then his body toppled and collapsed smack-dab on the floor. Dr. Gaster and Alphys quickly came over to Jay to help him up again.