[37]

The cooking lesson of Undyne was in short words a near disaster.
Not as the food came out terrible, tomato sauce being splattered at the face because of smashing it very hard, or the house nearly getting consumed in fire. The disaster was that the whole experience and Undyne's energetic enthusiasm almost made Jay faint. Well...the food didn't come out that terrible, just wrongly made.
After helping putting the fire out and saying goodbye, Jay headed back to the house of the skeleton brothers. His wings were dropped, ears lowered and face still covered in tomato sauce because there was nothing to clean it with. Jay wasn't sad or down, just...tired after a long and tense day. After reaching the town of Snowdin, his ears picked up the chirps of the dutch dragons up ahead.
"Jay! Are you okay?" Radio asked as he and Telephone approached Jay.
"What happened to you?" Telephone asked as she placed both paws under Jay's snout, looking puzzled as she examined his tomato-covered face. "Ummmm.....Cooking lesson with Undyne? I'm fine, no big deal." Jay tried with a slight smile.
"Nonsense! We are bringing you to our cave to get your face cleaned ASAP!" Telephone squeaked, taking Jay's hand with a paw and tugging him along with her and Radio.

* * *

The dutchies cleaned Jay by first licking with their tongues and then wiping with a towel(it was and felt weird, but he knew it must be natural for them).
"So, how did your day go again?" Radio asked as the three sat around the bonefire.
"I visited the Lab for checkup since I was a new monster, then Papyrus invited me to introduce me to Undyne. It went well all the way until she became overexcited about teaching me how to cook." Jay explained with a chuckle.
"Sometimes Undyne seems scary when she takes Papyrus on battle training. She is one angry fish." Radio said as he shook his wings a bit. "Yep, an angry fishy." Jay replied, and all three laughed.
"So, what powers did they say you have?" Radio asked a moment later. "It's quite interesting; I can emit energy that can power many things like electrical equipment. The other ability, interestingly, was that I could absorb any ability trait and use it as a countermeasure. For example, Telephone's healing skill gave me the ability to generate another type of shield. And Papyrus's blue attack gave me the ability to jump with more strength." Jay explained to the dutch dragons.
"Wow..." Telephone breathed.
"That's so cool! Can you show us your abilities?" Radio squeaked excitedly. "Sorry. I think they only activate when I'm in a fight or when I'm scared." Jay said, his ears drooping down a bit. "It's ok. You don't have to show it to us this moment." Telephone said with a beamy face.
"What I can do is show my energy." Jay said as he placed out his hand. He concentrated until his palm emitted the blue energy he had. Also, his chest shone blue as his energy glowed in his hand.
"Woah....so pretty!" Telephone said as she slowly held up a paw and brought it close to the energy. When it made contact with the furred dragon's paw, it just flowed over and under it harmlessly.
"It...it feels good, actually. It doesn't harm or burn. It just...feels as if it were happy and calm at the same time." Telephone said as she continued letting the energy cover her paw. Radio placed his paw next, and he agreed. Telephone was very right about her description. This was the first time that he let his energy flow out this long. Just like Telephone described it, Jay's energy felt like something soothing. As if the energy itself was a natural source of comfort. After a while, Jay stopped his energy from flowing in his hand as his chest halted from glowing
"What else did they say?" Radio asked.
"Dr. Gaster said that if he were to copy my ability, he may be able to create a machine powerful to break the barrier. Which is what every monster wants." Jay explained to the dutchies.
"Really? That is what they're planning? I'm so excited!" Telephone chirped, jumping up a bit. "Me too! We've always wondered what the surface looks like." Radio said.
"Have any of you had an idea of what the surface looks like?" Jay asked Telephone. "Not really, But we do have books that have illustrations about how the surface looked like!" Telephone said as she stood up quickly went over to the back of the cave. Radio followed her to the bookshelf, where the two dutch dragons climbed up and took out a book of their own and then returned to where Jay sat.
"Here. It says that the surface is covered with more plants and trees all over than here. Also, there is light; a ball of light that shines over the ground at day, and another that illuminates the night." Radio said as he showed Jay a part of his favorite book. In the firelight, Jay saw a picture that showed a vast plain with a forest together along with the sun above. Next up was Telephone's favorite page in her book, which depicted many animals. "And here it shows that there are a variety of animals living in the surface. My personal favorite is the horse, big and elegant and majestic as it runs across the surface." Telephone said as she brought her book close and pointed at a picture of a herd of horses, galloping across a vast plain.
"Wow..." Jay said as he examined the pictures that the dutchies showed him. Before long, they made Jay choose which part of the surface he has seen after they asked if he has been on the surface before.
"Honestly...I don't remember much. But I do remember something when I see the stars." Jay said as he found a page of a book that depicted the scene of a night sky. Though, this picture was in a cartoonish style and not in a real manner.
"The stars? Oh! They must be the same in the surface, right? I love seeing them in occasions when I near the entrance of Waterfall district." Telephone squeaked as she leaned her head closer to see the picture in the book. "Are they really the same up on the surface?" Radio asked Jay. "I'm really not sure, but...this kind of relates to how they look like." he replied to the dutch dragon.
"We all hope we could see them soon." Telephone said as she closed her book and hugged it. "Its gonna be real soon, thanks to Dr. Gaster." Jay said as he turned his head towards the entrance of the cave.
"So...you have to gather a few more abilities so that those help with the machine, right?" Radio asked as he closed his book and both he and Telephone place pad the books back into the shelf. "That's right. I'll do my best to help. I AM doing my best, actually." Jay said as both dutch dragons came back.
"We know you are. Because you are like us, trying our best to help." Telephone chirped as she and Radio both hugged him. This gesture alone made him feel more relieved and happy as he nodded. It's more, it felt like he had a purpose at last other than just hiding away.
[Now I'm certain ain't this will all be worth it. Once I help...I will....] Jay thought before he began feel sleepy. "Mind if I stay here for the night?" Jay asked, to which Telephone replied, "Of course. You're always welcome here."
With that, he slowly fell asleep next to the dutchies as they shared the rest of their favorite things they wanted to see up in the surface.