Chapter 5 ~ Sleepless Nights

Lisa's POV ~

I hear the gentle thud of the car door closing, my hands slipping out of the handle to grasp the steering wheel. I start to drive back to the dorms, drenched in sweat from going to the private gym. I start to feel a little dizzy but drive nonetheless. Asthma starts to become more and more pronounced as my chest heaves up and down every second to grab the bare minimum of oxygen. My hand slaps against the car's dashboard, turning on the circulation. Regardless, the bright lights of a truck were the last thing I saw.

Beep Beep Beep Beep

I wake up to the sound of the machine next to me, wanting to punch it. I see BamBam sleeping in a chair, his head resting on his fist, and my target changes. I smile, looking at the tissue box next to me. I grab a couple, crumpling them into a ball and aiming it at his face, making his features contort. He wakes up, swatting the napkin off his drowsy face. He looks for the source of his disturbance, and his eyes explode with rage when he spots me.

"Do you know how lucky you are to be alive ?" He nearly yells, "I could've lost you !"

"How long have I been here ?" I say, squinting at the lights above me.

"Nearly a week," He says, scooting his chair over to me.

"When can I go ?"

"After I beat you up," He mutters sourly, "You can go once they've put on your cast." He says a bit more apologetically.

"What cast ?" I ask, my chin trembling. When he falls silent, I repeat myself, louder yet meekly at the same time. "What cast ?"

"Lisa...you tore your ACL. You have to quit the track team," He says, his hand patting my shoulder. My tears refuse to drop, my words continuing to interrogate him even though I know it's no use.

"How long 'till I can go back ?"

"4 months," He winces slightly as I throw my hands up in the air.

"The championships will be over !" I say, finally letting the tears pour out.

"I know...I know..." He pulls me into a hug, putting my head into his shoulder.

"I-I worked so hard for this."I sniffle into his shirt, my hair covering my side profile.

"You'll get it next time, Pranpriya."

"Would you stop calling me that cursed name ?"

The next day ~

Jisoo rolls my wheelchair down the rampway, as I want to claw my eyes out from embarrassment. She sees her friends and smiles apologetically at me.

"Do you mind ?" She asks. When I shake my head, she wheels me to them.

"Hey." She smiles at them. Both of them are too dumbfounded to say anything back to her. The taller one reaches his arm out to me, not one sign of pity in his eyes. Can't thank him enough for that.

"Jin. Seokjin. I saw you at the track team. You were really good," He smiles, unfazed, even as that doe-eyed boy stomps on his foot at the mention of the tryouts. I stare at him expectantly, and he sighs, reluctantly shoving his hand between us. I take it, staring at his hand warily, remembering when I'd tried to crush it and wondering if he'd try and do the same. Fortunately, nothing happens.

"So can you still be on the track team ?" He asks. I look at my lap, pathetically playing with my fingers and shaking my head. I raise my head back up and see his eyes soften a little bit, almost sadly. I see BamBam run over to me, going behind and grabbing the wheelchair handles. He looks at Jisoo and smiles.