Chapter 28 ~ Cafeteria Conversations

Lisa's POV ~  

I feel the hot stares on the back of my head, my jaw clenched in determination. Jungkook had stayed by my side the whole day so far, taking liberty to glare at several by-passers. "Hey." He punches my shoulder. I punch his back, harder yet softer at the same time. 

"Loosing some of your charm, are you ?" He teases. I roll my eyes, pulling my fist back and punching him rather toughly. "There we go." He winks, slinging his bag over his shoulder. 

"Stupid." I mutter when he tugs me to him, my cheekbone barely grazing a wall. 

"How am I the moron ?" He demands. "You're the one who was trying to face plant into a wall." 

"Well I wasn't trying to." I roll my eyes, forced to inch closer to him when we pass through the crowded foyer. 

"Ah- !" He grunts. "Why'd you punch me in the gut ?" 

"I didn't !" I yell over the loud rumbling of students. 

"Then who's fist was that ?!" He laughs, letting me grab onto his much stronger form to keep my balance. 

"I don't know, I can't see anything above your collarbone. If you haven't noticed, I was given the short end of the stick when it comes to height." I huff exasperatedly when they escape the crowd. 

"Well isn't that a coincidence ?" He asks happily. 

"Hmm ?"

 "You also happen to be the size of a short stick." He grins, thudding his sharp shoulder line against mine. 

"Oh come on, you're just a giant." I hop up, trying to match his height. His hands reach my shoulder, pushing my feet to touch the ground again. 

"How're you so tall anyway ?" I continue to pester him, constantly ruffling his hair up, poking his shoulder and nudging him with my elbow. It's a wonder how he still manages to keep a genuinely happy smile on his face. 

"Or maybe I just look tall since you're about as impactful as an ant." He challenges, his chin lifting arrogantly like he wanted all the blows that were awaiting his shoulder and my fist. 

"Shut it." I glower, my hand traveling to the nook of his elbow and dragging him behind me. "Let's go eat. I'm hungry." 

"I don't think eating at this age'll help you grow." He ponders, making it quite obvious to look at me and make sure I was annoyed. 

"You know maybe it won't help me grow, but at least it'll help me make you shut up." I grin, letting him tug me to an empty table. Fresh plates were already laid out like they usually were. Each clean table had a set of 5 plates, the smaller duos of seats having only 2 plates with each chair. 

"Eat, idiot." He stabs my fork through a piece of pasta, handing the end of the cutlery to me. I take it from his hands, not minding the fact that our skin grazed more than humanly possible for such a simple gesture. 

"Thought you just said eating wouldn't help me grow ?" I tease, stuffing a forkful in my mouth anyway. 

"Yeah, and it still won't." He laughs, brushing a hand through his hair and thinking for a while before grinning and saying, "Wait, what if the food's so bad it makes you shrink ?" 

A smile grows on my lips as my hand goes to cover my mouth, silent laughter rocking through me. My hand goes to thwack the side of his head as the beam on my face broadens dangerously wide. 

"Ack -!" I gasp for air when the noodles nearly go up my nose. He laughs opposite from my seat, watching me make a fool out of myself. Not that I needed his help with that, thank you very much. "Idiot !" I insist, grabbing the tissue out of his hand and dabbing it at my slightly teary eyes. 

"Why'd you have to make me laugh ?" I demand, my voice coated in amusement. "And what sort of a joke was th-"

"Excuse me," He says snootily, his fist thudding gently against the wood table. "It wasn't a joke, I was truly curious." He smiles when another laugh escapes my lips. 

"And how do you suppose that'd be true ?" I ask, tugging my shirt down when it rides up against my pale skin. 

"I've always thought the lunch ladies had a thing against me. What with being friends with Jin and all, I think they're trying to poison me." He says, his expression dead serious. I put the glass of water that I was about to drink down, my eyes clenched shut with my palm over my stomach when I try and contain the laughter. 

"Well maybe if you didn't try and hide behind them every time Tzuyu comes to talk to y-"

"Oh, don't tell me they won't scare her off !" He insists stubbornly, sending me into a further state of deranged laughter. 

"And would you suppose so ?"

"Well they've all got those sharp knives and dented ladles, haven't they?"

"Are you suggesting that they'd inflict violence upon a student ?"

"Are you implying they wouldn't ?" He raises an eyebrow. "Seriously, they sharpen unused knives. Personally, I think they've committed a couple murders here and there." He admits comically. 

"How ?!" 

"Just think about it." He says, his hands clasped all business like though he strictly struggles not to smile when my laughter fills the air. "If any students find out about their secret, then..." He makes an obscene gesture, his thumb slitting horizontally in front of his throat. 

"Is that why they're targeting you ?" I ask amusedly. 

"Because you know ?"

"Oh, I'm convinced they're onto something." He nods. 

"Or maybe they're just trying to do their jobs." I offer.

"No, Lisa," He reprimands, his finger striking against my forehead. "You're supposed to be on my side !" 

"Well what if you're too much of a moron ?" I ask, hopping off the chair when he does. 

"Then we'd be perfect for each other."