Chapter 56 ~ The Race

3rd Person's POV ~ 

The girl behind the blissfully unaware pair continues to glare at the back of Lisa's head, her ears perking up whenever Jungkook spoke. The shy girl that was the final member of the team taps her shoulder meekly.

"Tzuyu, stop staring." She whispers. "They're just minding their own business." 

"No." She grits her teeth, her long fake nails digging into the palm of her fist. "She stole him from me."

"You never even dated him." Minnie presses. "He hates you." 

"No he doesn't !" She shrieks, making several heads turn before dulling her voice again. "He's just playing hard to get." 

"Yeah, maybe for someone else." She scoffs. "Get your head out of your ass already."

"W-What ?"

"Not everybody likes you that way. Most people don't even want you as a friend." Minnie blurts carelessly, scrolling through her phone. 

"That's bullshit. How can people not be attracted to me ? I hav-"

"Because you're a jerk." 

"What...Did you just say to me ?" She glares. 

"It's because you're a jerk. If you didn't talk behind people's backs and at least acted nice to everybody you'd get a friend or two." 

"I have friends !"

"Tell me their names." She looks up lazily from her phone, already knowing what to expect as an answer. 

"I--They're kind of shy--my memory-" She sputters.

"That should tell you how good of a 'friend' you are then." Minnie rolls her eyes. "You don't even know those boys' names yet they tail behind you like dogs." 

Good god, this was going to be a long trip. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bus screeches to a stop by several small sand dunes that had been fenced with elegant white wood. Lisa lifts herself off her seat and walks by Jungkook waking Jisoo up and heading further down the isle to grab her bag she'd stowed away earlier. 

Her fingers grazed helplessly against the side of the bag, trying to grab onto something she couldn't see. She'd pushed the bag in too far when she'd shoved it in. 

"Need some help ?" Jungkook's voice comes from behind her, and she nods sheepishly, holding on to the seat across from her. He sets his bag down in her grasp, easily slipping out her yellow duffel bag adorned with cartoons. 

"Thanks." She smiles, trading his belongings for hers. 

About a foot behind them, Jisoo gazes skeptically between them, thoughts flitting at light's speed through her mind. "There's no way they're just friends." She mumbles before walking out of the bus with them and profusely refusing their concerned comments about her being off.

"Listen up !" Mr.Park roars, earning a disapproving glare from Ms.Kim before he promptly reduces the decibel he was speaking at. "Drop your duffel bags here," He points to a large trolley. "And head to the dorms. We'll all be sleeping in rooms of four, and no, it doesn't matter if you guys wish to mix genders up for roommates." 

A sound of proud agreement and satisfaction arises from the students, prompting him to continue. "Right then, find a partner, and get ready for some games !" He shouts. 

Lisa turns to Jisoo on impulse, but Jisoo has another plan in mind as she goes to one of her friends from the boys team. "I already have a partner, sorry." She grimaces. 

"Guess you're stuck with me then." Lisa smiles at him as they stand in the same spot, waiting for the chaos of, 'I don't want to be with him !' and 'Dude, I swear I'm cootie-free' to stop. 

"Times up !" Coach yells. "Who doesn't have a partner ?"

Two idle hands raise amongst the small crowd, belonging to Tzuyu and a rather kind yet snarky boy. "Oh, lord." He mutters before trudging aimlessly to her. 

"Right." Ms.Kim coughs. "The fist game...Is racing." 

"We'll win this." Jungkook smirks. 

"But there's a catch." The coach continues for her. "It's a piggy-back race. One partner will ride on the others back, and the other will race to the finish line." 

"Why can't we just race normally ?"

"You're all track students, you do that for a living." He scowls. "And the loser has to do the dishes." 

Suddenly, students seem to be far more encouraged as they rev up, climbing on each other with a tangle of limbs. 

Lisa jumps up on Jungkook's back, her chin resting on top of the mess of unruly hair on his head, his arms already hooked behind her knees. As if she weighed a feather, he walks like he was carrying nothing but air to the starting line which was more or less a crease in the sand. 

Several teams start to line up, legs already shaking in the effort of carrying somebody. "I told you those sandbags would help." She whispers in his ear. 

He feels a nostalgic smile spread across his features. "Yeah, I guess you were right." He says remaining sturdy in the hot granules of sand that were slowly rolling over his bare feet (shoes, for an unknown reason, weren't allowed). 

"Am I heavy ?" She grins, tapping his head. 

"Ha," He scoffs. "Not at all." 

"3..2..1 !" The countdown starts. 

He pushes forward with ease, already leading against several other teams, if not all of them. She clung tightly to him, an easy smile breaking out on her face as they were only a yard or two away from the crease of sand in front of them. 

He rolls his eyes and simply walks the rest of the distance, still winning the race. She hops down, punching his shoulder casually. "All the training finally came to use." 

"Mind you this trip was only recently planned." He says snootily. "If we weren't here, I'd never be able to use that skill." 

"Yeah, yeah, be as prickly as you like." She rolls her eyes, walking away from him to Jisoo with a final punch at him. He continues to stare after her, though his gaze flits away in a millisecond when Jisoo squints at him.

"What ?" He shrugs 'innocently'. 

"I'm not stupid, you know ?"

"Well that's a surprise."