Chapter 65 ~ Eavesdropping

3rd Person's POV ~ 

It was midnight. 

Pitch black outside except for the occasional streaks of lightning. The strikes of electricity boomed down every 30 minutes at first, but they were gaining more progressively and now attacked the ground per 10 minutes. 

In the perfect scenario, there should be 8 sleeping figures in the dorms, but there were 3 and a half. Half because Jisoo was asleep but barely so. She twitched every so often and murmured in her sleep, cold sweat breaking out across her face. The remaining three were Jungkook, Jin, and no surprise here, Lisa. 

They were all spotlessly awake though Jungkook and Jin didn't know about Lisa and vice versa. She felt like her throat was parched and reluctantly climbed out of the warm sheets of her bed, trudging to the kitchen. Her hair was slightly messed up, but not too much seeing as she'd just been staring at her ceiling and hoping her eyelids would inevitably get heavy. 

She lets the faucet hit the glass at an angle, another boom of thunder getting a gasp of surprise from her. She'd nearly dropped her glass when she heard voices across the hallway but stopped to listen. Who'd be awake at this time ? Except her, of course. 

"Can you check in my bag ?" She heard Jungkook's muffled voice say. It didn't sound like him, but she knew it was. His voice was strained as though he was suppressing his need to shout in pain. 

She hears the frantic ruffling of a bag, and Jin's exasperated statement, "There's no more pills." 

"Pills ?" She murmurs to herself. "What pills ?"

"It's fine." Jungkook coughs. "I'll sleep it off."

"No." Jin scolds. "Your mom told me the pain is severe, I'm not letting you do that."

"What do you suggest I do then ?" He asks, slightly irritated. 

"I'll go buy an extra bottle." He insists. 

She hears Jin take the keys off a surface and pocket it, holding up what was probably the empty pill bottle. "What are they called again..." He murmurs, "Panadol." 

Lisa's glass of water lay untouched where she'd abandoned it on the kitchen counter, the water swaying against the cup. 

"You're not going." Jungkook snaps. "It's late, there's thunder, and I'm not getting you sick."

"How touching," Jin drawls. "But I'm going." 

"I won't forgive you if you do." 

"Like that means much." 

"Please !" He asks desperately, presumably holding Jin back from the door since the doorknob had twitched for a split second. 

"Fine." He huffs. "But I am getting them as soon as the storm is over."

"I suppose that's the best deal I can get with you." He sighs,  though she had a feeling he was sighing in pain and not defeat. Again, the doorknob twitched, and it didn't go past Jungkook's attention as he called out, "Where are you going ?"

"Water." 

"I don't believe you."

"Oh for gods sake," Jin puts the keys down, and pushes open the door, closing it with a soft thud and nearly jumping a foot in the air when he spots Lisa. She pulls him away from the door and into the kitchen. 

"How long were---How much did you hear ?" He sputters. 

"Enough. I heard enough." She says simply, handing him the untouched glass of water. 

He looks skeptically at her, and raises the glass to his lips. Before he had time to comprehend, she'd taken his cluelessness as an advantage, grabbing her wallet and sprinting down the hallway. She heard him curse under his breath, whipping wildly after her. 

She didn't grab a jacket as she shut the door behind her, battling against his strength. Her eyes scrounge the front deck's floor, landing on a large stick. She pushes it through the handles of the double door entrance, feeling her palm's skin tear from the effort. The door was shaking desperately, and she'd turned her back on it,  about to leave. 

"Lisa, wait !" She hears him hiss. 

"Why ?" 

"You'll get sick !" He insists. "If he didn't want me going, he doesn't want anybody going."

"He doesn't know." Lisa sighs, evidently showing some pity on him. "It's okay. I'll get the medicine and come back in a heartbeat." 

"Well what am I supposed to do ? Tell him, 'Sorry dude, I let your girlfriend run to her own doom' ?" 

"No, but there is something you could do that would help somebody." 

".....What is it ?" 

"Jisoo's not sleeping very well. Given her health issues....I think you should check on her. She kicked me when I tried. I have a feeling she wouldn't harm you." 

For a terrible moment, there was nothing but silence. Other than the booming thunder, crashing rain and shrieks of lightning, of course. "Are you sure ?" He hesitates, his grip sliding off the doorknob. 

"Yes. Go." She demands. She hears his footsteps retreat and her hands fly to her pocket, feeling that her wallet was still there. 

She climbs down the stairs, cautious of the residue of water that had leaked all over the place. One wrong step and she could break a bone or two. Nevertheless, she continued all the way down, softly to not attract any attention. When she got to the bottom of the stairwell where many fond memories dwelled, she gulped at the sight before her. 

It wasn't just a storm. It was a disaster

Several cars were nearly impaled by an old, broken electrical pole that had no electricity to conduct, road signs ripped down like they were weeds in a garden and low budget stores stripped of the tarps their owners had covered them in. 

And it didn't help that her only fear was thunder. 

She quivered and nearly crumbled in terror, her knees buckling before she put on her best imitation of a brave aura. Her hands clenched by her sides into fists, and she swallowed back the dread that surged through her blood. 

"I can do this." She muttered, walking through her worst nightmare.