Chapter 37 ~ The Dance

3rd Person's POV ~ 

"Do you want to get back ? There's only a couple hours to the dance." He grins at her. She feels a stupid smile spread on her face as she nods, pivoting sharply around the corner. 

The sun sank lower in the sky, the light of day draining away and giving way to the velvety dark of night. Crickets chirping, dusky colors subdued in the fading light and the first buzz of mosquitoes in sync with the street lights as they click on.

The day starts to wind down, a faint first star in the night sky amidst the short November darkness. The air became cooler, blanketing the evening landscape. Twilight had fallen, and the sharp shadow of the lamppost had faded into the dark of the sidewalk, a close silence in the dim evening light.

The orange gold hue of the sun's diminishing rays stretch far and wide, the color of fire hearths and tangerines. The lake not far away reflects the semi-sphere like a mirage, the glass smooth waters not bearing a simple tear or ripple in them. 

Eventually, they get back to the large dormitory building, parting ways. 

"See you in a couple." He grins, two of his tall fingers going to his head and flicking towards her. She salutes back, hiding a rather goofy grin that only ever released itself when she was alone in her bedroom under the warm duvets. 

She clambers up the stairs, her shoes slapping against the strong cement that built the spiraling pathway. She charges in to the dorm, her hair whipping wildly behind her. "You won't believe what just happened !" She yells into the dorm, ignoring a groan of pain in the background. 

"Well what did you expect would happen ?" A shout follows the whimper of sorrow. "I told you not to touch it." 

"I didn't think it would be that hot."

"Oh right, because a straightener is supposed to act as an ice pack." Jennie's familiar ice cold drawl rings through the dorm. 

"Don't you take that tone with me ! I still can't believe you didn't tell me."

"I didn't think you'd want to know."

"We've all been trying to get you two together for 3 years, of course we'd want to know, you cucumber." 

Lisa shakes her head, not having the potential to be even slightly irritated as she walks giddily through the hallway and into her room where all 3 girls freeze, staring at her with guilty expressions plastered on their previously irritated faces. 

"Who's dating who ?" She grins, making them ease up slightly.

"Jennie. Taehyung." Jisoo says promptly, smirking at the former's scowling face. "Aw, are you shy ?"

"Shy ?!" Jennie demands. "I'll show you what shy looks like." She says, sticking her tongue at the older of the two. 

"My, how scary." Jisoo drawls sarcastically, getting a sheepish glare in return. "No, I'm serious. Not even being held at gunpoint would scare me more." 

"What are you guys doing here anyway ?" Lisa asks, plopping down next to a heap of clothes that had been stripped from her closet. "Aren't those mine ?"

"Precisely. What'd you guys talk about ?"

"He asked me to the dance." She smiles, fiddling with her fingers before snapping her head up. "What do I do ?!"

"Gee, I don't know, maybe go with him to the dance ? It's not that difficult to underst-" Jisoo starts.

"Oh, for gods sake, shut up." Lisa snaps. "What do I wear ? I didn't think he'd ask me !"

"Right. We, being the good friends we are," Jisoo says, motioning between her and the other two girls to which they let out a firm murmur of agreement, "Have already picked everything out for you."

"Why didn't you tell us you've got so many nice dresses ?" Jennie asks.

"My mom always sends them in. I feel bad giving them back so I usually just lend them to other people." She shrugs. "Hey, this one's nice." Her fingers touch the dress in front of her. "Where'd you get it ?"

"From your jungle of a closet." 

"Let's get you ready." Chaeyoung smiles kindly.

"Already ? We still have 3 hours."

"And yet that's still not enough to convince you not to wear basketball shorts underneath."

"No amount of time is enough for that." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You look really pretty." He smiles politely, casually slinging a hand over her shoulder. His free hand was stuffed in the pocket of the tuxedo, his fingers crossed tight inside. 

She had a kind of understated beauty, perhaps it was because she was so disarmingly unaware of her prettiness. Her pale skin was completely flawless. She was all about simplicity, making things easy, helping those around her to relax and be happy with what they have. Perhaps that is why her skin glowed so, it was her inner beauty that lit her eyes and softened her features. When she smiled and laughed you couldn't help but smile along too, even if it was just on the inside. To be in her company was to feel that you too were someone who was loved even if you were just a stranger or a friend to her. 

The venue was giant and filled with decorations everywhere they could be adorned. The music was so loud, it made his skin tingle and his lungs feel like mush. The bass thumped in time with her heart beat as though they were one, filling both of them from head to toe with music.

Over the roar of music, a distant, hazy chatter could be heard. No one could make out any words, but laughter rang in people's ears in a way that it wouldn't seem to stop. The song that was playing got louder, Jisoo's hand pulling both of them into the rumbling crowd. They had no choice but to join the crowd, jumping in a huddled group like Tic-Tacs being shaken in a box.

"Hey !" He calls after her. 

"Yeah ?!" She answers, barely audible. 

"Wanna get out of here ?" 

"Oh, thank god." She sighs quietly, dragging his hand out the door and rushing out of the building. "I thought you'd never ask." 

The door thumped close behind them though the rays of light were still dripping through the cracks between the palisade and the building's barriers. The sound of the bass was so obnoxiously loud that they had decided to escape to the peace of the basketball courts. 

"Aren't you uncomfortable in that ?" He laughs, a ball tucked under the safety of his arm. Both of them had been taking turns at shooting the basketball into the hoop in the darkness of the night which was, as they had expected, impossibly amusing. 

"No." She shrugs, catching the sphere as he tosses it to her. "Why would I be ?"

"You're wearing a dress and heels." He shoots a pointed glance at her. 

"Not just that." She winks. "I'm wearing shorts underneath." She says, getting a huge laugh out of him as he leans against the pole of the hoop, grinning at her form which he now viewed differently. 

A perfect end to a perfect night. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*A/N:

Ugh, there's so many flaws to this chapter :(

I'm sorry I couldn't include more parts of the dance, but I have to progress further with the story otherwise we'll just end up spending forever on this event. 

Sorry again !