Chapter Twenty-Six -Defence against the dark Detention?!

Sienna POV

******

The next day we had our first lesson after lunch with "The Pink toad".

Draco called her that. We walked into class and I sat next to Draco.

Professor Umbridge was already seated at the teacher's desk, wearing the fluffy pink cardigan of the night before and the black velvet bow on top of her head. We were all quiet as we entered the room; Professor Umbridge was, as yet, an unknown. Nobody knew yet how strict a disciplinarian she was likely to be.

"Well, good afternoon!" she said when finally the whole class had sat down.

A few people mumbled "Good afternoon," in reply.

"Tut, tut," said Professor Umbridge. "That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge.' One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!" "Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," we chanted back at her.

"There, now," said Professor Umbridge sweetly. "That wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

Harry and I made eye contact. He rolled his eyes at her. Ugh, wands away. What shit. Hermoine looked skeptical.

"I would like you to read 'Chapter One, Basics for Beginners' of your copy of Defensive Magical Theory. There will be no need to talk."

I quickly pulled my book out from my bag as the sound of disdainful sighs and turning of pages ensued. As I flicked to the first chapter and started to read, I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, that Hermione's copy was laying on the desk in front of her, unopened.

Not only that, she had her hand in the air which Umbridge was determinedly ignoring.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?"

Umbridge eventually asked when it was clear that Hermione's hand was going nowhere.

"Not about the chapter, no," Hermione answered.

"Well, we're reading just now," Umbridge bristled. "If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"Surely we need to be practising defensive spells?" Hermione went on, ignoring her. "We're not going to learn anything from reading this rubbish."

The whole room gasped. Hermione Granger was not only ignoring a professor's instructions but dissing a book, too!

"Miss Granger, as long as you read the material and study the theory hard enough, there is no reason you won't be able to perform defensive spells under carefully controlled examination conditions."

There was uproar. People shouted how ludicrous it was that we couldn't practice with our wands beforehand. I snuck a quick look to my side to catch a peek at Draco. He was just sitting coolly beside me with a smirk across his face, looking as though he was enjoying the commotion. I nudged him.

"Stop that." I hissed.

When he noticed me looking, he gave me a little wink. His silver-grey eyes glinting wickedly.

"How is studying a stupid theory going to prepare us for what's waiting for us out there?" Harry bellowed from the desk beside me. A few students giggled nervously at his brave use of colourful language in front of a professor.

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?" Umbridge enquired, cocking her head slightly to the side as she studied Harry with interest.

"Hmm, let's think..." Harry said in a mock thoughtful voice, theatrically tapping his finger against his chin. "Maybe... I don't know, how about LORD VOLDEMORT!"