Chapter Forty-Four -ChristMESS party

The next night I stood at the spot where Sky and I normally start our prefect rounds.

Sky was late which wasn't usual for her. We started at 7 PM and finished by 10 normally. But it was 7:30 and she wasn't here. I waited and waited until someone finally showed up. I was reading so I just snuck a glance over my Charms book. But it wasn't Sky, it was Justin Finch- Fletchley, the other Hufflepuff Prefect. I remembered what Blaise told me last night, that Justin had pissed off Draco by giving him a month of detention.

"Hey Sienna," he said. I lowered my book.

"Hey, Justin," I said. I looked around. "What's up."

"We're on the same rounds tonight," he said.

"I thought I was with Skylar," I said, matter-of-factly. He shifted uncomfortably.

"Umm, last I heard she switched because she has a last-minute date with her boyfriend," he said.

"Oh," I said. "That's cool."

"Yeah, so you're stuck with me tonight." He chuckled.

I put down my book and stared up at him.

"So what rounds are we doing tonight?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"Oh, um, the dungeon rounds and the Great Hall," he stated.

"Cool, let's get this done?" I said, standing up and putting my book into my bag. Justin nodded and we started a casual conversation on the way through our rounds. We had the long rounds and we started later than usual so by the time we made it to the dungeons, it was 10:50, meaning 5 minutes past curfew. The door to the Slytherin common rooms swung open and out stepped the one, the only, Draco freaking Malfoy.

He stopped like a deer in headlights.

"Malfoy." Justin sneered, "Didn't you learn your lesson from your last month of detention?" he mocked. Draco's eyes were frozen on me. Justin snapped in front of his face. Draco jerked out of his trance.

"What do you want, Flinch?" he snapped at Justin.

"It's Finch-Fletchley!" Justin roared.

"Let's see, one month of detention and 50 points from Slytherin," Justin said to Draco.

"Hey, that's not fair." I pipped up softly. Both the boys looked at me.

"It's only 5 minutes after curfew, so 1 week of detention with Filch and only 5 points," I said.

"Draco, go back to your room," I said, grabbing Justin's shoulders and leading him away from the dungeon.

"Isn't Malfoy the ex that cheated on you?" Justin asked.

"Mmhm." I hummed in approval.

"Then why didn't you let me give him a month?" Justin asked.

"Because it's not fair and I treat everyone with kindness," I said back.

Justin and I talked for a little more until we made it outside the Hufflepuff common rooms. Somehow the conversation switched to Slughorn's upcoming Christmas party.

"So," he said as he tapped the barrel open.

"Hmm?" I hummed looking up at him.

"Do you have a date for it?" he asked.

"For the Christmas party?" I asked.

"Yeah, duh." he chuckled

"Oh- um, no, I don't" I stumbled, looking down. Justin reached forward and tucked a strand of my curl that had fallen out of my bun. I looked up at him, my cheeks turning red.