Chapter Forty-Five- Oh baby

That weekend I was in a compartment with the Jane sisters, we were going home.

I couldn't wait to see my Aunt El because last summer I stayed with Uncle Moony and Snuffles while she was busy at the orphanage. Auntie El told me she had something big she wanted to tell me so I was extra excited. I made plans with the girls so that they would meet at my house on the 26th at 5 p.m. so we could all go to the Beauty and the Beast play. Uncle Snuffles managed to score more free tickets so Harry, Hermione and the Weasleys could come as well.

The girls were excited. Sky was spending her time with Blaise and Serenity was chilling with Fred and George.

We chatted and played Exploding Snap until Blaise came in and said it was time to pack up. We watched as the train pulled into the platform. I saw Sirius, Uncle Mooney, Aunt Els and another woman that I didn't recognize. She was holding Aunt El's hand and when the train pulled up she let go. She was pretty, she had dirty blonde hair and smoky blue eyes. I pulled a meowing Fluffy into her cage. I grabbed my trunk and ran towards my family.

"Hi!" I shouted as I ran into Sirius's open arms. Harry came behind me and hugged him too.

"Hello Cub," said Uncle Mooney as I hugged him.

"Auntie El," I said, pulling her into a hug. I looked at the last woman. She held her hand out. I shook it.

"Marlene McKinnon, nice to meet you. Your aunt has told me a lot."

"MARLENE?!" Harry yelled from behind me. "I THOUGHT -"

"Shut up Harry, you're attracting unwanted attention." Hissed Sirius.

"I thought she was dead," Harry said in a calmer, quieter voice.

"Yes, I thought so too, "Uncle Mooney started. "But she was instructed to go to America to hide before Voldemort wiped out her family. She had someone under Polyjuice Potion acting like her. Dumbledore just let her come back."

*****

FLASHBACK - AUNT EL POV

It was September first.

Sienna was getting dropped to the platform by Padfoot and Moony. It was a sad day for me. For the last 17 years, the first of September had always weighed heavy on my heart.

I finished filing adoption papers for Marie, the 5-year-old girl who was getting adopted in a month.

Absentmindedly, I played with the two rings I had on my necklace. Both were mine. But I could not wear them on my fingers. They reminded me of her.

The first one was a small silver promise ring with an emerald (My birthstone) and several small red rubies (Her birthstone) surrounding it.

"Let's tackle the mysteries of life, one kiss at a time." was engraved into it.

The second was a wedding ring, It was a small white gold diamond ring with my wedding date engraved on it. "January 5th, 1977"

I still remember how my heart swelled when I saw her walk down the aisle with her gown.

I fiddled with it, tears filling my eyes and I remembered her.

Her.

Marlene Mckinnon.

My wife is the love of my life.

The woman I defied my parents for.

The woman that I got kicked out of the Appleton family tree for.

The woman I married.

The woman I buried.

She was dead. She had been for 17 years now. We were only married for 2 years. Still remember it clear as day. The day she died. September 1st.