epilogue - aspen

“Michael?” I say, waving my hand in front of his face, “Earth to Michael!”

“What?” He says quickly, reverting his attention to me.

“Did you hear anything I said?” I ask with a frown.

“I, uh, sorry,” Michael stutters.

“Are you okay?” I ask, eyeing him in concern.

“I’m fine,” Michael assures.

“Let’s go outside!” He suggests suddenly, taking me by the hand and leading me into the back yard. I gasp when I see flower petals scattered across the moonlit lawn.

I look across the majestic yard, not noticing Michael get down on one knee until he clears his throat. I turn back toward him and gasp when I see the small box in his hand.

“Aspen,” Michael breathes, “I’ve told you before that you’re my better half, and I’ve meant it. And I think that’s what’s been keeping me from doing this for so long. I’ll never understand why a girl as genuine, loving and beautiful as you could ever be tricked into falling in love with me, but for some reason you have. And I’ve been terrified of the idea of forever, and still am a little bit, because I don’t see how you could ever want to spend forever with me. But the truth is I can’t imagine forever - I can’t even imagine a day - without you. And if you’ll have me, I would like to spend the rest of my life with you. So, Aspen, will you marry me?”

“Yes!” I choke out as tears slip from my eyes. Michael fumbles with the ring and slides it onto my finger. He stands up, kissing me gently.

“You’re crying,” I whisper, running my thumb over the tear on his cheek.

“No I’m not,” Michael argues, quickly wiping his eyes. I give him a look and he lets out a watery laugh.

“You make me emotional!” He defends himself.

“I love you,” I sigh, kissing him again.

_____________________

credit to my friend for helping me w this xxxxxxx

(she wrote the speech lol)

this is MY last chapter on this story

I had a great time writing this story, so I would like to say thank you all for reading this.

-e