Chapter 1

Flo's Pov

Flo's Pov

For weeks I had been planning my big move, the last few years of school had been filled with extracurriculars,  study sessions, saying no to parties and friends. All so I could be where I am now on my way from Utah to California to study English literature at a very prestigious college. I squeeze in my box filled car after hugging my dad goodbye. I set off playing a collection of Disney music. The drive was to be 12hrs and as my mind wandered anxiety filled my body. My dad had not been on his own since he was 16 and met my mom, even after she left us, we sort of always had each other even if we were not close. He never seemed to get me and him working away most my life made it difficult to bond. I developed relationships with a multitude of babysitters before they all had to leave me. Focusing on the road I pushed on with the drive only stopping for Starbucks and to use the bathroom.

After a very tiring day I arrived it was about 7pm and the sun was setting, I parked up and went to the desk in my dorm building I had been emailed about 3 months ago. When I approached the desk there sat a pretty older women, with red hair and glasses.

"Hi Darling, how can I help you?", her welcoming voice eased me instantly.

"Hello, I'm Flo Parks, I'm here to move into my dorm" I passed her my ID and information. After several minutes of her typing on her computer a look of confusion crept on her face.

"Darling I'm gonna make a little call would you mind sitting down, this may take a minute and you seem tired". She was right I was tired, but something seemed off with why this was taking so long. I nodded and went to the plush grey couch. After 20 minutes of me worrying she came over and sat by my side.

"Darling, I'm not really sure what has went wrong but the dorm that you were emailed about was already taken. I have looked and we have no available dorms on campus.". My heart started to pound, and my eyes filled with tears but I tried to keep it together. "So what does this mean?" my voice wavered as this kind lady held my hand. "Well tonight we are going to put you up into a hotel and we can speak through your options tomorrow." I couldn't contain my nerves but at least I had a place to sleep tonight.

After she gave me the details, I drove to a nearby hotel. When I walked in people looked at me with disgust, the other guests all were in cocktail dresses and suits as I stood in a white dress, pink cardigan, with my hair in pigtails. I probably looked a mess as I had been driving for so long and had stopped to sob in the car. I found my room and got into my pjs and took of my makeup, before I could even think about what had happened today I had drifted to sleep.

Turning my alarm off I headed into the shower and got ready for the day. I knew I might have to meet some people today, so I chose I tamer outfit, a pink pair of shorts and a white t-shirt with peaches on.

 I knew I might have to meet some people today, so I chose I tamer outfit, a pink pair of shorts and a white t-shirt with peaches on

I add some pink eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, and lip-gloss. Tying my hair into a ponytail with a ribbon I figured I was ready for the day. I was meeting the lady from last night, who I learned was called Kate and the student accommodation team. After a quick drive back to campus I soon was in a room with three scary looking adults and the kind-faced Kate.

The tall man in a navy suit was the first to speak. "Hello Miss Parks, we have been made aware of the situation and our obvious mistake. Now after going over many solutions we have two for you to pick from. One would be to live off campus on your own, you would have to fully fund this yourself. The other would be to live in a group house, that the college would fund." I knew deep down that I could not afford an apartment all to myself even if I got a part time job and my father didn't have enough to help me out.

"What is a group house?"

"A group house is similar to a sorority, but without events and pledging. Its like a large dorm. You would share a home with 4 other people, this particular one isn't owned by the College. You would share a bathroom but would have your own room, which is fairly big. However, you would have to buy your own food but that is it. Really, the only reason you are being offered this is because you are on a scholarship normally you could only join in your second year or above." My mind did not have to do much thinking, I would only need money for food and would live in a house like a real adult. It would save me going home and dropping out after all the hard work I had put in to get here. I agreed and signed the papers. I would be moving in this afternoon anyway how bad could living with 4 other girls be?