Tachibana Makoto [Holiday]

Prompt: Holiday

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

* * * * *

Holiday, no matter where and when, would always be festive for Makoto. Ever since he was a kid, he had fond memories of holidays, the albums lined on the bookshelf on the living room of his house back in Iwatobi was a proof of it. So Makoto was actually looking forward to go back home at the end of the year, but in true 2020 style, the heavy snow didn't allow him to get back by Christmas.

"Sorry," he said through the phone, offering an apologetic smile to his siblings, "but I won't be able to make it back in time."

"Heeee," across the phone, Ran whined,"but you promised!"

"I know. But the snow is really thick, no transportation is allowed in this weather."

"That's too bad," Ren said, "We want to celebrate Christmas with you."

"I know, but for now, have fun with mom and dad, okay? I'll try to get back for New Year."

The twins shared a look with each other, both with a pout on their faces. They turned to Makoto. "Fine," Ran said, "but you have to promise to be back by New Year!"

"I will, I will. I promise. Now go have fun." The twins shared another look, before turning to wave at their brother.

"You, too, Mako-nii."

Makoto offered them another smile before the line disconnected, as soon as he saw his reflection on the screen he threw himself on the couch, sighing.

Holidays were supposed to be moment spent with your loved ones. Makoto remembered the fond memories of past holidays spent not only with his family but also his friends. Playing snow ball fight, making snowman, and end the day curling in the kotatsu with a warm cup of chocolate. No matter who, winter was the best time to relax after doing so well throughout the year. That was what Makoto supposed to have this year too. Being a university student wasn't easy, especially when you used to live in a peaceful countryside of Iwatobi and chose Tokyo to study. The pace people in Tokyo live where different than Iwatobi and it took him quite a while to get used to. He was expecting a relaxing holiday back home, a refresh from the hectic lifestyle he now had. But it look like Makoto had to settle with his apartment.

Waking up from couch, he grabbed the TV remote on the coffee table. He changed the channels here and there, but looking at those holiday theme movies or variety show made him felt even worse. Giving up at finding something watch, he turned off the TV, and made a beeline to his bed, until his phone rang a second time that day.

"Makoto, here."

"Makoto! Glad you picked up. Still in Tokyo?"

"Asahi?" Makoto pulled the phone away from his ear for a while, only now realizing the caller ID, "Where would I be going in this snow?"

Across the phone, Asahi laughed, "Wah, you're right. Anyway, you free? Come to my sister restaurant if you are!"

"To the restaurant? Right now?" He looked at the clock, 6 PM.

"Yeah! Well she actually close it for today, but then I told her about you guys probably couldn't go back, so she suggested why don't we have a small party there. I'm calling the others, too, you in?"

"I'm in!" Makoto's face lighted up, "Wait, okay, I'll be right there."

"Great! We'll be waiting!"

* * * * *

When Makoto arrived, Asahi wasn't the only one there. He saw Haru, Ikuya, and Hiyori right away, plating dishes on a long table. Behind the counter he saw Asahi and her sister while little Tsukushi was currently being held by Kisumi.

"Welcome, Makoto!" The red haired shouted, beaming with smile. "The snow wasn't too thick, right?"

"Nope," he answered, "more than usual, but I could manage. Is this everyone?"

"Kon will join us in later." Akane answered, "he said we could start once we're all in here."

Makoto took of his coat and hang it, "I see," his eyes swept through the room, finding everyone busy, "sorry I couldn't help with anything."

"Don't worry," Ikuya piped in, "Asahi called in last minute, if you blaming someone, blame him."

"Hah? Why would you blame me!"

"From the start, if you're inviting people, invite them beforehand."

"Wha—" Asahi paused, "w-well, it was last minute for me too, just be grateful it happen!"

Before the two could go on, Hiyori stepped in. "Now, now, both of you. Don't make a ruckus."

"That's right." Akane brought a tray of drinks and placed them in the table. "It's holiday season, let's end it with a smile, okay? Or else, Asahi, you're on cleaning duty until New Year."

"Wait, why!"

"They've been at it since the beginning," Haru stepped closer to him, "don't feel bad for not helping, your apartment was the farthest from here."

"Alright," Makoto smiled, "I'll keep that in mind."

The verbal fight from the two siblings still continue, with Ikuya piped in here and there, but all stopped when Tsukushi wailed from Kisumi's arms.

"Whoops," the pink haired male smiled, "see, you're making him upset. Since everyone is here already, why don't we start?"

"You're right. Makoto-kun, Haru-kun, come closer." Akane gently took her son back from Kisumi as everyone crowded the table.

Upon closer look, Makoto could see a variety of dishes there, just by looking at them made him hungry. He grabbed a glass of drinks, following everyone, and raised it a bit up. The glass sparkle under the light, each with various colors that made it stand out on with the restaurant theme.

"So," Asahi grinned, "let's begin the small party to ease the heart of the travelling students who couldn't get back home!"

"Too long."

"Shut up, let me have my moment!"

"Cheers!"

Everyone clang their glass gently against each other. Shouts of cheers erupted within the restaurant with a small 'waa~' from Tsukushi.

Makoto took a look at everyone on the room. All with a big smile painted on their face, happy as they start digging the food. He gently put his glass down before began taking bite.

It definitely wasn't the holiday he expected to have, but enjoying food with his friends, laughing together as they share stories here and there, was enough to make up for it.