Makoto Tachibana -Swim-

Prompt: Starting Line

----------

Haru was everything, at least for Makoto. Either it’s his 6-year-old one or his 17-year-old one, Haru will be the one starts everything they did. That includes swimming.

“I want to swim.”

It was the start. The start line where Haru, for the first time, said what he wanted (not his usual “Up to you”). For Haru, swimming is a time where he can just forget everything and relax, that’s why he really liked it, no, let me change that, he likesswimming, or just staying under the water to be honest.

At first Makoto followed to the small yet clear river around them and swum there. They took a good look of what’s around them. The clear water, the plants, the small fishes, even the little rocks people threw to the river. It was so calming. No wonder his childhood really like it.

“Mom, is Nanase-san with you? Haru-chan couldn’t find her.”

Makoto looked around, he took of his shoes and put down his bag and walked to the kitchen. He smiled once he saw the person he’s been looking for and his mom talking.

“Haru-chan, you mom is here!” He shouted back. Not so long after that, the black haired boy appeared and went to his mom’s side, Makoto did the same.

“What were you talking about?” The olive haired boy asked, curious. His mom chuckled at him, ruffling his hair that actually hadn’t fully dried yet.

“We were talking about time you guys join a swimming club. Isn’t that fun?”

“I don’t wanna.” Haru beat everyone, he pouted a little when he looked at his mom. “I don’t swim for joining a competition.”

“It’s not only competition. You also can find new friends. And later, you and Makoto can join a relay together.” Nanase-san answered, she patted her son’s head.

“Relay? Haru-chan let’s join! We can make lottttsssss of friends!” Makoto extended his arms, showing how much friends he’s going to have. “Isn’t it fun?”

Haru thought about it for a while, but then agreed when he saw Makoto’s face. “You need to learn something new then. There’s only one person per style and I’m not giving you freestyle.”

Makoto laughed at him. As expected from Haru!

 * * * * *

“Okay, Makoto, now, what do you know about swimming styles other than free?” A coach from Iwatobi Swimming Club, Sasabe Gorou, asked him. It’s been a week since he and Haru joined the swim club and now the main coach will help him deciding which style he should learn more.

Okay, the first one, breaststroke

To be honest, Makoto didn’t like it from the start. It was scary for him. The way a swimmer swim breaststroke different with freestylewhere you can move all your own. So when Sasabe-san gave him the instructions and told him to swim, he got confused and almost drowns if the Coach didn’t save him.

“It was scary!”  He looked in horror. Sasabe-san sweat dropped at the sight.

“Come on. No one is perfect on first try, right? Let’s try it again.” Sasabe-san took Makoto’s hand, guiding him to the pool again when the boy refused, yanked his hand from the older male.

“I’m scared.” He said; teary eyes and who the hell can resist those eyes?!?

“Come on-“

“Impossible,” Haru said from the side, “Makoto is scared of water so he’s refuse to do it, then he won’t do it.”

Sasabe-san sighed in frustration.

Breaststroke: failed

Anyway, move on to the next one, butterfly. Butterfly is harder that the rest and usually people learn it as the last one. And the fastest way to learn it is tied your legs together to stop your legs from moving.

But when they tried to tie Makoto’s legs, he screamed in horror. Nonononononono! Breaststroke is scary enough! He didn’t want to die yet!

After a few attempts to make Makoto want to swim butterfly –which rejected badly- Sasabe-san gave up. And the boy himself also gave up.

“Makoto, you can’t swim if you’re scared of water you know.” The older male patted his head when he realized the reason behind all of this. His heart sinks when he saw the sad look on the olive haired boy’s face.

“Makoto, look up.”

Makoto was speechless when Haru told him to, but he did it anyway. Makoto looked up, his eyes widened at the sight of blue sky above him. It was far from him, but it was clear and calm.

"Backstroke. If you are scared of water then try looking at the sky. With backstroke there’s nothing you should worry about. Well, the sky and water are blue so it's fine."

Sasabe-san’s face brightened, he looked like he just found a gift from the God and took Makoto’s hands. “That’s it! Backstroke!”

Makoto looked at him once again, backstroke? He wasn't sure he can do it or not but....

"I'll do it!"

... if learning backstroke means he can be on a relay with Haru he'll do it!

Makoto closed his eyes and lay on the surface of the water like what Sasabe-san said. Okay, he's scared now.

The older male told him to move his legs slowly, Makoto did what he said. The boy moved slowly, with his coach hands on his back and hands, he can do this.

"Makoto, try opening your eyes." Sasabe-san said, Makoto and Haru can hear how gentle it was.

Makoto opened his eyes, slowly but sure. And when his eyes were completely opened, his cheeks tinted by pink color.

The sky was above him, as blue as the water under him. His eyes widened, the sky was too beautiful to be ignored, he regret it how he almost never look at it before.

Tug!

Makoto stopped when he reached the end of the pool, his cheeks still tinted by pink when he looked at Haru at the other side.

"Haru-chan, Haru-chan! I did it! Isn't that great??" Makoto's voice was full of joy and Haru couldn't help but smiled at him.

The olive haired boy turned to Sasabe-san again, "I want to do it again! I want to do it again!"

Sasabe-san smiled as responce and patted his head. "Sure, sure!"

Everybody has their own line. Everybody was their own start. But for Makoto, backstroke was his starting line for everything.

- - - - - -

"Nagisa! Rei! Don't run around the pool!" Makoto screamed in horror when the two younger boys ran, he was afraid what if they fell and hurt themselves.

"Makoto, you sound like their mom."

"Haru! What if they fall?" Makoto answered.

"Instead of worrying about them, worry about your backstroke. You've been getting slower lately."

Haru took if his jacket, leaving him with only his swimsuit, and put his jacket aside. His jacket was similar with the others. A white jacket with their school name that colored with blue on it.

Iwatobi.

Haru jumped to the pool, accompanied by Makoto's voice.

"Wait, Haru! Don't swim first!"

~{>_<}~

UWAHHHH NOVEMBER IS GOING TO END AHHHHHHHHH /slapped

See?? The next prompt was hallg right? >~<

So sorry for the late update blame my exam TT^TT

Next prompt: ???

-Mizushima Sena