Kuroo Tetsurou [Summer]

Next up is Kuroo! 

Prompt: Season 

* * * * *

A lot of people thought that Kuroo loved spring the most, but in reality his favorite season was summer. He loved summer. During primary when volleyball was a game he played for fun, summer meant he had more time doing the thing he loved. He'd drag Kenma from his room almost every day to the neighbourhood court, tossing the ball back and forth between them. On some days, his mother will stop him on the genkan before he could even go to Kenma's house to remind him of his summer homework and on those days Kuroo would spent the entire time doing his homework whining for not being able to play. When he was in middle school, nothing much changed, except for the fact that he saw volleyball as more than a hobby, more than something he did for fun because he genuinely want to be part of the Nekoma High Volleyball Team in high school, and when he actually became a part of that club, Kuroo's love for summer intensified.

It's funny in a way, because despite growing up together, Kuroo's love for summer was perfectly balanced with Kenma's hatred toward the season.

"Why looking so glum?" They were on the train back home after their afternoon practice. Kuroo had taken off his vest with the top button of his shirt unbuttoned but despite hating heat, Kenma was still dressed from top to bottom.

"Tomorrow the summer practice begin," the pudding-haired male said, "you're incredibly annoying during it."

"Oi! What's that supposed to mean!"

"Summer vacation is supposed to be a thing, you know. It's supposed to be the one time where I can play game all day long even at night but then we have practice." Kuroo snickered when his childhood friend whined, "Ah, it's so annoying."

"Now, now, don't be like that. Karasuno is coming too this year, remember?" Kuroo always found it amusing to watch the way Kenma perked up when Karasuno was brought into the table. A lot of people might not be able to see the different but Kuroo knew Kenma better than anyone else and while Kenma wasn't particularly interested in Karasuno in general, Hinata Shoyo was enough to grab his attention.

Funny, how someone quiet like Kenma can got along with someone as rowdy as Hinata Shoyo.

"What time are they coming?" He asked.

"If I remember correctly, they should arrive around before the first match. Uwahh... can't imagine how early they have to get up to get here in time."

"It's fine," Kenma said, "Shoyo is a character you can expect to be fully awake early in the morning for volleyball."

"Character, huh?" Kuroo mused, an idea came into his head, "you think he'd get along with Bokuto?"

At the mention of Fukurodani's Ace and Captain, Kenma grimaced. Ever since their first meeting when both captains were first year, both he and Bokuto were insuperable during the summer practice. It was fun seeing Bokuto play, at the same time it was tiring to deal with him. Thanks god for Akaashi Keiji who decided to join the team.

"Please don't say that," Kenma shuddered, "you getting along with him is annoying enough."

Kuroo laughed at the statement. "But you know it will happen, right?"

Kenma sighed, "Shoyo is someone who always want to improve, and Bokuro always feel the need to show off. Even though Fukurodani won't be coming tomorrow, during the one week practice, it is to be expected of those two interacting outside official practice."

"You think he'd come to the third gym?"

"Oh God, please no," Kenma groaned at the thought, "If Shoyo comes to the Third Gym with you guys, you'll make more noises, and when there's too much noise, Lev will come, too. I can't handle it."

Kuroo chuckled, "Don't be like that! It's the youth, Kenma! Youth! You have to live it! And you know that will happen anyway."

"Of course it will," Kenma said after a while, "Shoyo is an interesting character, I even made an effort on mentioning Lev to him."

The words caught him by guard, the unmotivated Kenma mentioned Lev to Chibi-chan?

"What did you say?"

Kenma shrugged as he turned on his PSP, "Nothing much, just said there's a foreigner character in the game."

"You and your game, at this point you have to stop comparing people as game character."

"No way, it's easier when you put it that way."

Kuroo can't help but smile at his friend. Kenma was always known to be a quiet kid, yet he was so afraid on what others perceive of him that he ended up spending time watching them. Dragging Kenma out for volleyball practice during summer break was one of Kuroo's ways on making Kenma more comfortable with people. Though he didn't change much, the fact that Kenma was more serious in volleyball these days was more than enough.

"Well, dear Master of Games, mind telling me which character most likely has a character development this summer?"

Kenma's eyebrows furrowed together as his character started losing. Kuroo let him be until Kenma was able to turn the table around and cleared the stage.

"Karasuno," he said at last, "they're young, flock of birds learning how to fly. You've seen them during the practice match, combining with everyone in the practice week, they're going to be hungry for development. I expect much from them this summer."

"Oho? You expect much from everyone?"

Kenma shrugged, "Not really, Shoyo and their setter will most likely to have the most develop. The other will follow in their own ways. But..."

"But?"

"The tall middle blocker, probably won't do anything."

Kuroo hummed. He remembered the guy. Tallest than everyone, blonde hair with glasses. Despite having the biggest advantage in terms of height, he was the least motivated among the group.

"Should I invite him to the third gym instead of Chibi-chan."

"Stop it, don't make him hate summer as much as I do."

Kuroo laughed at the implication. "You sure you're going to hate this year summer?"

Kenma paused his game as Kuroo mused. The Nekoma's brain turned his head to look at him, cat-like eyes piercing with a small smile curling on his lips. "Not really, only this year, I think it will be interesting."

"Thought so."

Kuroo loved summer. He loved the heat and the amount of time he could dedicate with practicing. Despite growing up together, Kenma hated it. But this year, on his last year of high school, it looked like Kenma would love it as much as he did. 

--[END]--

--------------

Uwahhh it took longer than I expected! Hope you enjoy it!

Next prompt: ???

- Mizushima Sena