Tachibana Makoto [Mark]

Prompt: Soulmate

*****

As someone born with a soul mark, Makoto was glad he could find you before he graduate from high school.

Ever since he was a kid, Makoto had a mark of an arrow on his right arm, his way of finding his soulmate. Different than Haru who was born in a monochrome world until he met his.

During his school days before he met you, a lot of girls born with a soul mark liked to pester him to show his soul mark. To be frank, it was getting annoying and he needed the collective help from his friends to free him from the girls when that happen. Everything changed during the summer of his first year of high school.

Students were wearing their summer uniform, which showed their arms and that's how the two of you found out that you were soulmates, much to the joy to both of you and the disappointment of many others.

The two of you became closer since that day. You got along with everyone else from the swimming club and despite not being an official member, you liked to help Gou with her manager works.

Thinking about those days sure was nostalgic.

"What are you thinking about?"

Makoto looked up from his position laying down on the couch to find you peering down at him, a smile on your lips as your hands held two streaming mugs.

"Nothing," Makoto sat up and made space for you. You sat beside him, raising your hand a bit as Makoto covered both of your laps with a blanket. You gave him his mug of hot chocolate. "Just how lucky I was to meet you so soon."

Your cheeks reddened at the sudden confession. "What's with that, cheesy."

Makoto laughed. He took a sip of his hot chocolate before putting it on the coffee table in front of you. He gently took your mug and placed beside his. Slowly, he wrapped his arms around you, burying his face on your hair.

"Makoto?"

"Let me stay like this," he said, taking a deep breath of your scented shampoo. "I'm really lucky to have meet you so soon."

Because of how the world works, people find love in different stages of their lives. Some early, some had to endure half of their lives before meeting their soulmate. As sweet as the idea of soulmate was, it made it harder for people to find love as they tend to focused on the idea of happily ever after. So Makoto was glad, really glad, to have meet you so soon, because you might not realize it, but you gave him so much happiness in life.

He never thought that waking up next to someone could became his source of happiness, the same time he never thought that sleeping while holding the person you hold dear could give him countless of good dreams. He loved the way you laughed at him when the two of you made breakfast together, the same way he loved the sobs you let out during movie nights. There were people out there cursing the soulmate system for letting them love who they want, but for Makoto, if it's not because of the arrow on both of your arms, he couldn't find an angel on earth.

Slowly, he felt you wrapping your hands around him. "Me too," you murmured, "me too, Makoto. I'm very lucky to have meet you."

Your hold on him tighten, because it was true. You told him at the beginning of your relationship that truthfully you didn't believe in the soulmate system. The two of you were mere classmates when you found out, nothing but strangers who just so happen to be on the same class together. Doubts overrode your head when Makoto said he wanted to get closer with you. Unlike the girls in your class, you didn't have feelings for him back then, and a huge part of you was afraid of the idea of spending the rest of your life together with someone you don't love.

But Makoto proved you wrong, again and again.

Your love for him develop over the years, while his to you only grew stronger.

Now, four years after finding out you were soulmates, and two years after officially being boyfriend and girlfriend, the two of you were currently renting an apartment in Tokyo while going to the same university just different majors.

You felt a kiss at the crown of your head as Makoto pulled back. He laughed, and gently wipe the tears you didn't knew rolled down your face.

He took your hand on his, kissing your fingers and trailed down to your arm, taking extra case for the mark on your right arm. He rubbed the mark gently.

"I love you," he whispered.

You chuckled, "I love you too."

You couldn't believe how big someone could change just within four years. You used to look at your mark in disappointment, sad at the thought the universe choosing your love for you. But now, with Makoto beside you, snuggling under the blanket on winter night, you couldn't help but whisper your thank yous to the mark over and over again.