Kuroo Tetsurou --Regret--

Prompt: You and I

AU Where Kenma is Kuroo's adopted kid

Set during the current arc where Hinata and Kageyama are finally facing off each other for the first time since middle school. By the time I write they haven't start the game yet, the latest was Chapter 379

----

Kuroo yawned as he fixed his hold on Kenma. Snuggling close with the child as the train slowly stop on the train station. He used one hand to pick up his bag and slung it over his shoulder, he made sure Kenma's bag was still attached to his back before slowly standing up and wait as the door open.

"Where are we?" Looking down, he met Kenma's eyes, still sleepy and exhausted from the train ride. Kuroo couldn't blame him. They almost never travel that far so early in the morning, but Tokyo to Miyaji was really far and they had to wake up early so they could make it to the game.

Yes, the game. Who knew Chibi-chan will be facing Kageyama in an official match. Those two together were famous for their Freaky Combo, moving along with the rest of their team like one connected chain that grew stronger every time you faced them. To see them in different teams with people that used to be their rivals sure was interesting. Man, Kuroo would pay to play on that game.

"Tetsu?" Kenma's voice snapped him out of his thoughts.

"Sorry, buddy," he answered, "we're in Miyagi now. Go back to sleep for a bit, I'll wake you up when we arrive."

Kenma nodded weakly. He snuggled up to Kuroo, burying his face at the crook of the man's neck and fell back to sleep.

Yeah, no, Kuroo from four years ago would pay to be on that match. But this Kuroo, would pay to watch Kenma grow up with a proper figure to look at.

Kenma come to Kuroo when he was two years old. The black haired boy was on his way to a zoo, a family recreation time when whoever up there decided 'well, how bout we give a little twist?' and the next thing Kuroo knew he was pulling a boy out of the back seat of a crashed car. People around him screaming orders for someone to get help the driver and the woman sitting beside him but all Kuroo heard was the heart shattering cry from the black haired boy on his arms. It wasn't until a woman pulled him aside, told him with a smile to calm the boy down that Kuroo started to do something. He held him close, whispering assurance that everything will be okay and no, you will never be alone, you don't have to be scared, it's going to be alright.

But it wasn't. Everything was not alright.

The two people at the front, his parents, didn't survive the crash, so was the driver of the other car that crashed them. To make it even worse, the boy he pulled out, Kenma, didn't have any relatives that can support him. So the decision for him to adopt Kenma as his own came rushed and unplanned.

Yaku had actually sat him down, looking at him straight in the eye and every carefully said that a child is a big responsibility, especially when that said child wasn't yours to begin with and you were just starting college. But Kuroo answered him with the same level of serious, yes a child is a big responsibility, but the look on Kenma's face every time he met Kuroo since that day told him everything he needed to know.

So now, six years later, Kuroo led a life his 18 years old self could not picture. He's a single father, working as a web designer and published a few short stories, and had completely left volleyball. But well, leaving volley doesn't mean you can't watch it, right?

Kuroo woke Kenma up when he could already hear the faint noise of a crowd. He could see the gymnasium from where he was standing, but waking up Kenma in a place filled with people will only cause the boy to be distressed. Heck, Kuroo was pretty sure waking up a kid so he can watch a match wasn't a good thing from the start, he could already imagine the glare Yaku will proudly gave to him if he were here.