Makoto Tachibana --For What it's Worth--

Prompt: Birthday

----------------------

To be honest, this wasn't what Makoto had in mind when he got a day off. Life has been pretty much hectic lately, with adapting to new life and the ever growing materials he need to learn, the meeting new and old friends didn't really alleviate the weight on his shoulders. Makoto had never problem with studying, but no matter how you look at it, living alone for the first time in 18 years was a big step that can't be taken lightly, even though it had been months. Wait, scratch that, for the first time in 19 years, because today was his birthday.

Makoto walked among the streets of Tokyo, his phone was on, showing the map application with his earphones plugged in so he can hear the voice better. It'd be really nice if Haru or Asahi were here, but both had their classes today and would be finished at 4 only to start practices. Kisumi, Ikuya, and Toono also had their respective practices, thus leaving Makoto alone with nothing to do alone.

It wasn't that he minded being alone, but in the first 18 years of life Makoto was never alone on his birthday. Now alone to roam Tokyo out of boredom made him felt lonely.

Makoto turned left on the next junction, following the direction of a female google map voice on his ear. He heard there was a nice family-run restaurant around here, but the block he just turned looked empty save for a few open shops and one or two pedestrians.

Looking down at his phone, he scrunched his eyebrow. It said the place was right beside him but the olive-haired man wasn't sure about it. The place kinda look deserted, paint peeling off here and there and the glass looked like it hadn't been wiped for days.

"Are you sure this is the right place--"

KNOCK!

Makoto jumped at the sound, looking closer to the glass, he saw a familiar face looking at him from inside.

The face inside smile sheepishly, before gesturing for him to come inside. Makoto quickly put his phone on his pocket, pulling his earphone from his ear and went to open the door. The bell on the door jingled when it opened, but Makoto was to busy smiling at the person who sat beside the window.

"Sosuke!"

Yamazaki Sosuke smiled back, he raised his hand in greetings. "Long time no see, Makoto."

Makoto smiled in return. "Long time no see, do you mind?" He gestured to the empty seat across Sosuke and sat down when the other man nodded his head.

It wasn't until he was fully seated that Makoto realized the situation on the table. It was covered with plates of food, each looking equally delicious and looked impossible to finish alone. "That's quite a lot..."

"Yeah, about that," Sosuke grinned sheepishly and gave Makoto a pair of utensils, "mind helping me finish this?"

"Did you order too much?"

"No, apparently they said I was a 100th customer or something and literally pulled out every menu for free. I feel bad if at least I don't eat half of each."

Makoto chuckled. "You sure got lucky."

"So," Sosuke gestured to the chopsticks on his hand again, "mind helping me?"

"Sure." The olive haired man took the chopsticks. They both murmured their prayer before start assessing the food lay in front of them.

There were chicken karaage, pork cutlet, udon, ramen, fried rice, curry rice, a few types of tempura and sushi, and many more, even what looked like a kiddy meal complete with the little flag on top of the rice. Makoto took a sip of one of the colored drinks on the table, cringing a bit at the sweet taste that flooded his tongue before decided to try his luck on curry rice while Sosuke tried the pork cutlet.

His eyes beamed. "This is really good!"

"Right, someone recommended this place to me so I decided to check it out while I'm in Tokyo." Sosuke grinned, "Try the chicken karaage, they're worth to die for."

Makoto took one of the chicken karaage, his smile widen as the bit the juicy meat.

"Now tell me," Sosuke started, "what were you doing wandering alone?"

"I had a day off today, figured walking around won't hurt." Makoto chewed happily on one of the tempura, "You?"

"Visiting a family, thought maybe before I go back I should wander around and found myself here. I'm not interrupting your plans, right?"

"Oh, no, not at all," Makoto took another bit of his curry rice, "in fact I'm happy you invite me here, I was looking for a place to eat anyway."

"Glad to help then." Sosuke smirked.

The two fell into an easy conversation, going back and forth about each other's life and the people around them. Makoto talk about Haru and the others' practices and found himself glad that some of the stuff he learned on his major could be applied so soon to help their friends stay in a good shape. He mentioned about thinking to get a part time job, mostly to keep himself busy as he was the only who didn't have any practices outside classes. He was thinking about working on Asahi's sister' restaurant. Makoto made sure to not mention how today was his birthday and that he felt lonely when Sosuke asked why he was walking alone without Haru or someone.

Sosuke didn't talk much about his life in college, but he did mentioned that with his shoulder now healed, he had started to put more hours into practice little by little. After having such a late start than the others, he said he wanted to keep up as fast as possible. Makoto made sure Sosuke promised to tell him if there's something he could help.

When they realized it, time has passed and some of the plates in front of them had been cleared. Sosuke asked if they could bring the rest for take away which the nice waitress said they could.

Just as they finished their drinks, Makoto decided to ignore the sweet drink he had earlier and chose a ice tea instead, the waitress came back with their take away neatly packed in plastic bags and what looked like two pieces of cake.

"Oh, please, you're spoiling me."

"Nonsense," the waitress said, "owner's order, last give for our 100th customer."

As she left their table, Sosuke looked at Makoto in defeat. "I guess now we have cake to finish."

"Well, let's start digging then."

Makoto picked up his fork the same time Sosuke did and dig to their perspective cakes. It was chocolate, not Makoto's favorite but something he would enjoy.

"Really sorry I dragged you into this, tho."

"Well if you keep getting free food I won't mind being dragged," Makoto hummed, "not a bad way to spend your birthday."

Sosuke froze, "It's your birthday?"

"Uh," shoot, he didn't meant to say that, "yyeahh??"

"You sound unsure," Sosuke snorted. "Sorry, tho, for not knowing."

"Doesn't matter, I was a slip after all."

"Still, sorry." Sosuke said. "should've known."

"It's fine," Makoto reassured, "you got me free food."

Sosuke snorted, "And cake, don't forget it, Birthday Boy."

"Yup," Makoto smiled, "really grateful for it."

"Well, Makoto, for what it's worth," Sosuke licked his fork clean and raised it a bit, "Happy birthday."

"Yeah," Makoto did the same to his and clinked his fork with Sosuke's, "Happy birthday to me."