Miyuki Kazuya [A Good Friend]

Prompt: Happy Birthday

*****

Miyuki never think really pay attention to his birthday. Another year he grew older, another year he's closing to his death. Great.

Back in Seido, they used to make a huge deal about it. Once on his birthday, they threw him a surprised birthday party, making him searching for them all over the place. While not much, he also remembered that one time Kuramochi somehow managed to sneak Mei inside the dorm late at night and the three of them ended up baking a strawberry shortcake.

Miyuki stopped in front of the milk aisle in a supermarket near his apartment. Maybe he should make a strawberry shortcake for himself? He lived alone right now, pretty far than any of his friends to bother him tomorrow but maybe treating him by doing the thing he loved would be a good refreshing activity.

He made up his mind pretty quick, and went around the supermarket finding the ingredients needed, was absolutely glad when he found the strawberries were in great shape. He paid his grocery in the cashier and gave the woman behind the counter a smile as he took his grocery and walked home.

Once he arrived at his apartment, he put the groceries to its perspective rank. The strawberry were washed and he took a bite of one before putting the rest in a container then putting it on the fridge.

He grabbed a big bite before going home earlier, so he didn't need to cook dinner. Looking at the clock he saw that it was nearing 10 PM. He took a quick shower, and opted to search something to watch instead of sleep.

Around two hours of watching TV, Miyuki decided enough and grabbed his phone, making his way to the toilet to do his business before going to bed when it suddenly rang.

Mei's name flashed on the caller ID, and Miyuki immediately grimaced.

"Hello?"

"Happy birthday!!" the blonde haired pitcher scream through the phone, way too loud of his tired brain to handle. "Am I the first? Tell me Kazuya, am I the first to congratulate you? Be grateful! To have this great Mei-sama congratulating you on your birthday."

"Yes, yes," Miyuki replied, "You're the first. Yey, thank you so much, Mei-sama."

"That was a sarcasm, right?" Mei said, "Kazuya, I can hear the sarcasm dripping! Be more genuine!"

"Can't help it," Miyuki replied, "you're screaming too loud at this hour."

"Anyway, what are you doing right now?" Miyuki groaned when Mei changed the topic, "are you having a cake? Celebrating on your own?"

Miyuki looked around his toilet. "I'm in the toilet."

There was a pregnant pause from the other side. Miyuki pulled his phone away from his ear, wondering if Mei had cut the call. "Are you celebrating you birthday in the toilet?"

"No way I am," he retorted, "I was about to brush my teeth when you called."

"Ho? What's this? Miyuki Kazuya needs his beauty sleep?"

A tick of annoyance appeared on his forehead, "And what about you, Mei-sama, I thought you need one, too."

Across the line, Mei hummed. "Usually I do. But just for today, I decided to be a good friend and call you on your birthday. How is it? Aren't I a good friend? Be grateful you have a friend as good as I am, Kazuya."

Miyuki paused. He couldn't help but chuckled. Thinking of it now, Mei might be annoying most of the times, but even after all this years, their relationship never waver. If anything, all the rivalry between them made it more interesting.

"Yes, I am," he said softly, "I'm really lucky to have a good friend like you, huh."

The other line went silent for the second time that night. Miyuki was about to call out for the blonde's name when he suddenly spoke.

"What's that, creepy."

"You started it!"

"Argh!" Mei groaned, "I didn't thought Kazuya would actually reply it with something like that! This is fake! Where is the Kazuya that I know!"

"Oi," Miyuki scolded, "just know what do you think of me, huh."

"Nothing!"

"Mei—"

"Anyway!" the pitcher suddenly yelled. "Today is your big day! You're turning old! You're free today? I'll pick you around lunch, treat me something birthday boy."

"Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?"

"Nope, we're doing it my way. And on my way, you're treating me on your birthday."

Miyuki sighed, "Fine, whatever. Don't embarrass me is all I ask."

Mei dramatically gasped, "Kazuya! How could you say that! I never embarrass you!"

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that." Miyuki yawned.

"Woah, the birthday boy is getting sleepy," Mei mused, "I guess I should let you sleep now. Good night, Kazuya and happy birthday once again. Remember! Lunch!"

"Yeah, yeah," Miyuki laughed. "I'll keep that in mind."

Bidding one last goodbye, Mei cut the call.

Miyuki took a deep breath as he pulled his phone away from his ear, putting it down beside the sink. He quickly brushed his teeth and washed his face.

He grabbed his phone before making his way to his room. Miyuki put his phone on the nightstand before climbing on the bed, burying himself under the cover. He took off his glasses and put it beside his phone.

"Happy birthday to me," he murmured to himself, "sleep tight and prepare yourself. Later, you're dealing with Mei."