Tachibana Makoto -Can You Hear the Sea Singing?-

"Stay away from the sea."

"Don't go there at night."

"It's too dangerous."

"If they see you alone at night, if you they caught you hearing them singing, they'll take you with them."

You lived in the area for 16 years. 16 years of warning and fairytales to scare the children off. 16 years of adults telling you to stay away from the sea. But somehow, those 16 years seemed vanished into thin air.

You were thinking and you knew it. You were being stupid and you knew it, being reckless and you knew it. But there were little you could do, to stop your body from moving in autopilot and took you to the beach 10 minutes away from the your house in a cold night.

This wasn't supposed to happen. You were only out for a short walk, nightmares haunting you. The short walk around the too familiar neighborhood soon changed when a melodic singing from the sea caught your attention. The voice sounded far away from you, but the voice, the melody, it was too warm to resist. Too good to be ignored.

So you turn on your heels, your house suddenly seemed far away as the sea kept getting nearer.

Your feet touched the dry sand; walking a bit farther your feet soon touched the cold water.

All alone, in the dead of midnight with the moon shining above you, your eyes widened when you see someone sat on top of the big rocks in front of you.

* * * * *

You couldn't talk, couldn't move. You should turn away, you should run. But you couldn't take your eyes off... of whoever that is.

Your sense finally took over and with a startled gasp, you tried to back away. But it was a mistake and the next thing you knew you tripped and fell, could feeling the cold water seeping through your clothes. Your heart rate picked up when the person in front you stopped singing and turned to face you.

It was a man, seemed naked despite the cold night. His body was well-toned, too pale for anyone in this area remembering how much the sun love this area on daily basis. His hair was olive; a bit ruffled and looked so soft you had the urge to run your hand through it. His olive-brown-ish eyes sweep over you. He turned his body properly, shifting to face you. And if only you see actual legs rather than tail on the man's body, you might not scrambled to your feet to run.

"Wait, stop!"

You froze, even without having to sing, his voice was still melodic and warm.

Slowly, with fear filling every bone of your body, you turned to face the man. Your breath coming out short.

"I'm not going to hurt you," the man—no, he's not a man—said, "It's okay." He continued as he moved his tail a bit.

He's a merman.

You took a big gulp, hands clenching on your side before you finally took the figure in front of you. Aside from how toned his body look and the smile on his face, you lower your eyes to waist down, fear suddenly replaced by awed as you took in the blue tail, covered with scales that seemed to sparkle every time the moonlight hit it.

"You're a merman." You said, unconsciously inching closer.

The man—merman in front of you grinned, flipping his tail in the air back and forth a few times, "Cool, right?" he said, and when you didn't response like he expected his expression dropped, "You're... not afraid, aren't you?"