[ 55 ] Hospital

"Don't marry him." Akaashi whispered very faintly but it was clear enough for anyone to hear. "Don't — don't marry him."

"W-Why?"

"Because I love you." He inhaled sharply, eyes never leaving the floor. "I've loved you, for as long as I can remember. I've loved you since the day I found you wandering off because you got lost in the campus during our freshman year. I've loved you since our very first proper conversation in the library the day Bokuto-san left us alone."

"I've loved you since the night you let me stay in your apartment so I'd have shelter from the storm. I've loved you since our first kiss in your living room. I've loved you since then and I've loved you more over the years we've been apart. I didn't deserve you then and quite frankly I believe I don't even deserve you now. But I love you, I do. So please, don't marry him." He shut his eyes close, relieved he could finally get it off his chest.

"Good job, Akaashi! I didn't think you'd get so emotional!" His ears perked up at the oh-so familiar sound of Bokuto's snickering, followed by the heavy patting on his shoulder. He sighed.

Bokuto walked back to Akaashi's bed and sat down, grinning. "So, that's how you really feel about her, huh? Even after 6 years." Bokuto nodded to himself. "Eh, I kind of saw it, though. You didn't seem happy with Aki-chan as much as you were with Y/n."

After Akaashi told Bokuto what had happened the other night (you getting drunk and forcing yourself on to Akaashi/sleeping beside each other that night), Bokuto was thrilled. He admitted he didn't really like Akiara — Akaashi's ex girlfriend — and claimed that he saw right through her issues as well. Akiara was still in love with her high school sweetheart, Shirabu, just as much as Akaashi was still in love with you.

And now here Akaashi and Bokuto were, stuck in Akaashi's room in his apartment. Akaashi had called Bokuto late in the morning and confessed that he wasn't feeling great, asking his best friend to come stop by his apartment. Bokuto realized it was Akaashi being Akaashi — keeping feelings to himself. He insisted that Akaashi should just pour out everything he'd been wanting to say, which brings us to the now.

Akaashi felt quite guilty having to say what he just said, but he felt a weight off his chest. He just wished he'd said it to you instead of a wall. "I'm... frustrated." He sighed, slumping his shoulders down and walking to the chair under his desk.

"Why?" Bokuto let himself fall onto Akaashi's bed, listening intently.

"I've been overthinking, Bokuto-san." He ran his fingers through his hair. "About the other night, about Y/n — about us. She's engaged. It's not right."

"Isn't her fiancé a dickhead?"

"You're not allowed to say that, Bokuto-san." Akaashi sighed.

"And why not?"

"Because it's deemed disrespectful."

"Disrespectful my ass." Bokuto huffed in annoyance. "It's true, Akaashi! Y/n and I spent time together the night of the party and she was borderline drunk. I-I saw her bruises, and I know you saw them, too!"

Thinking about it, Akaashi did see the bruises all over your back and arms. Although intoxicated, he remembered when you stripped off your clothes the night of the party, and the way you flinched when your clothes came in contact with your bruises. He groaned. When did it come to this?

He remembered you as someone who never tolerated anything bad done towards you. Even back in high school, you were quite the fighter. You were strong and always so determined even when things didn't seem to be going the way you hoped it would.

So why were you tolerating Asano's abuses? What did you even see in Gakushū Asano? What was it that made you stay?

Was it the money? He wondered.

No, you weren't the type to be blinded by wealth. You never cared about that. You could earn that by yourself. So what was it?

Akaashi was thinking. Overthinking, even. He was thinking of so many possibilities. Asano could have threatened you, or something of the sort, right? Then again, why was Akaashi overanalyzing everything as if he still knew you? The things he knew about you were from 6 years ago. So much has changed since then. You were more mature now, he supposed. You were even mothering a kid. Akaashi knows nothing about you anymore.

"Akaashi? Hello?~" Cooed Bokuto from the side of the bed. "Were you even listening to what I said?"

Snapping out of his thoughts, Akaashi looked back at Bokuto and shook his head. "No, I'm sorry. What is it?"

"Kuroo texted me. He said Y/n showed up at the mansion last night." Bokuto informed Akaashi, making his ears perk. Bokuto continued reading through the rest of the text. He silently gasped. "She's... injured? And she — she called off the engagement."

"W-what?"

Akaashi felt uneasy, his breath hitching. Anxiety creeping up in his neck, still so eager to know what happened next. His eyes widened while his fingers fidgeted, staring intently at Bokuto who had his phone in hand. No doubt was he happy to hear that you called off the engagement, but he wondered how you were. Surely, Asano didn't take it lightly.

"Says h-here they rushed her to the hospital early this morning because — oh my god." Bokuto brought his hand up to his face, covering his mouth.

"What is it?!"

"They found her unconscious in bed, drenched in blood. Last night, she was coughing up blood, too. Akaashi, we have to—" Before Bokuto could even finish his sentence, Akaashi stood up from where he was seated and went through his closet, packing up a bag of clothes.  He planned on watching over you in the hospital if it was needed.

"Akaashi...?" Bokuto slowly got off the bed, putting his phone in his pocket.

"Drive me to the hospital." Was all Akaashi said, zipping up his leather bag and rushing out of his room. Bokuto trailed behind, panicked. He never saw Akaashi this way. The look on his face was unreadable, one Bokuto never thought he'd see in his lifetime.

Akaashi opened the trunk of the car and put his bag in, closing it before heading to the passenger's seat. He was fidgeting, he was uneasy. It was so evident even to Bokuto who never seemed to read the room. A million things ran through Akaashi's panicked mind but one thing dominated it — you.

All he could do was silently pray you were okay.