[ 50 ] A reunion?

"You seem distracted, Akaashi." Bokuto called out from the court, looking beyond the bleachers to eye his troubled best friend.

Akaashi sat alone in the empty bleachers, waiting for time to pass by as he watched Bokuto, Atsumu, Hinata and Sakusa practice for their upcoming game. He had a notebook on his lap and held a pencil in his hand, desperately thinking of ideas for their new manga.

Akaashi looked up from his notebook and locked eyes with Bokuto, a frown was inapparent in Akaashi's face. "I'm good." He exclaimed back at Bokuto for the latter to hear.

In all honesty, Akaashi wasn't good. It had been weeks since he felt okay. He was having troubles with his relationship, or according to others, trouble in his paradise.

He couldn't quite call his current relationship his "paradise," despite being together for almost two years now. They haven't even said "I love you" to each other. He felt as if they were moving too fast — or at least that's what he believed happened between you two.

When he saw you a few days ago, the distant memories of your ended relationship with him came rushing back, including the feelings he deemed illicit now considering he was in a long-term relationship. He thought back to everything that had happened in high school and soon realized you two were moving too fast, probably one of the reasons why you ended as quickly.

No, he didn't push aside the fact that he did you wrong. He didn't ever forget how toxic your relationship was and it was all because of him. In fact, it was buried in his mind, causing him to doubt love again. He's never given to anyone else the love he gave you. And he believes he never will, nor will he be able to.

6 years has passed and still, Akaashi hasn't loved anyone the way he loved you.

"Earth to Akaashi." Bokuto tilted his head, poking Akaashi's cheek to catch his attention. Akaashi hadn't realized he was thinking too much until he saw Bokuto in front of him. "You sure you're good?"

Akaashi nodded, gripping onto his notebook. "I'm fine."

"Ah," Bokuto groaned. "You're always so secretive, Akaashi. It makes me think you don't see me as someone you trust." He frowned.

"It's not that, Bokuto-san." Akaashi looked up at Bokuto with his usual stoic expression. "I'm just stressed with work, that's all. Nothing important."

"Are you and Aki-chan okay?" Bokuto sat down beside Akaashi, now looking back at Atsumu threatening Sakusa that he'd hug the germaphobe. The two continue running around the court, while Bokuto awaited Akaashi's reply.

(A/n: "Aki-chan" or Hirano Akiara is another OC from a book of mine that somehow got deleted :/)

"Yeah." Akaashi nonchalantly lied. He didn't want to go into detail about his failing relationship, especially after knowing you're back. Bokuto might think Akaashi still has feelings for you. Did he, though?

Bokuto merely shrugged, deciding not to further pry in his friend's comfort zone. He waved his hand at Atsumu who was jogging towards him and Akaashi. "'Tsumu! Where's 'Samu, ey?!" Bokuto frowned. "I'm craving onigiris! He's never not here!"

"He said he had an important meeting in Hyogo. He'll probably be back later around 4." Atsumu shrugged, grabbing his face towel and wiping the sweat off his face. "So, where're we eating lunch?"

"Lunch?" Akaashi asked, quickly looking at his watch. It was already 1:30 pm and he just noticed. "Ah, I still have to submit this by the end of the day." He scolded himself, running his hand through his messy hair and adjusting his glasses.

Bokuto, Atsumu, Hinata, and Sakusa finished freshening up and were now in the bleachers with Akaashi, who was still mentally scolding himself. "Submit what, Akaashi-san?" Hinata asked, as the five made their way to the exit.

"I was given a project for new manga ideas, and I haven't thought of one." Akaashi sighed, walking side-by-side with Bokuto who was on his phone searching up some sushi restaurants.

"Oh! Have you heard, 'Kaashi?" Bokuto asked, eyes still glued to his phone.

"Heard what?"

"Yachi is throwing a party!" Bokuto exclaimed giddily. "Apparantly it'll be like some kind of reunion and a celebration since she and Yamaguchi are engaged!"

"Oh, yes! I forgot to mention that!" Hinata grinned. "Will you be going, Akaashi-san?" He asked.

A reunion? Akaashi wondered if you'd be there, and how it would be like for the others as well. You and Yachi seemed close back in high school, so maybe she invited you, right? "Maybe." He replied, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his coat. Spring was fast approaching and the weather was getting colder.

The five walked down the busy streets of Tokyo while Bokuto and Hinata were talking about the "reunion." Meanwhile, Akaashi's mind was empty and in the clouds, wherever it could reach — but he couldn't deny he was thinking about you.

The question is, why? Surely after 6 years you'd moved on from him. Still, he couldn't help but feel the slightest bit jealous of his friends' relationships. He felt as if he was the only one lying to himself about being happy in his current relationship.

Kageyama and Hinata bottled up enough courage to confess their love for each other and started dating just summer of last year.

Yamaguchi and Yachi — well, it was evident now. They were engaged.

Even Kuroo and Kenma were dating.

Somehow Akaashi found this to be extremely ironic — he understood that to some people, coming "out of the closet" was hard enough. Yet, four of his friends came out and started dating. And there he was, having a hard time just coming terms with his feelings.

He and his girlfriend of almost two years haven't been talking much, and he never thought of initiating a conversation. She was busy enough with med school, as well as Akaashi being busy with work.

Akaashi sighed, looking up at the pastel blue sky. He reminisced the days he was with you, and how freely he felt. He realized he's never felt that way since you left.

His thoughts came to an immediate stop when Atsumu spoke in an irritated voice. "Is that... Y/n? And... 'Samu?!" He gasped dramatically, stomping his way to his twin.

Y/n? Y/n? Was here? Akaashi frantically thought. He suddenly started panicking.

"Oi! You liar!" Atsumu hit his brother's shoulder. "You said you'd be in Hyogo! Why are you here with her?!" He glared daggers towards your way.

Your eyes widened at how Atsumu was acting. Numerous people around the streets started staring at you while the twins argued. "I just got back from Hyogo, and I happened to have bumped into Y/n here." Osamu replied casually, no hint of lie in his words.

Atsumu huffed, forcing himself not to look at you. You pursed your lips, before tugging on Osamu's coat. "I-I'll go on ahead." You spoke aloud. "Thank you f-for... uh... showing me around again!" You quickly thought of a lie, bowing, and turning your heel to walk away before you heard a very familiar voice speak.

"W-Will you be at Yachi-san's party..?" The soft voice of Bokuto rang through your ears. Suddenly, the bustling noise of the city died down, and you felt your heart being clenched. Bokuto... How much you wanted to hug him right now.

You swallowed thickly, before turning around to nod at him, sending a warm smile his way. You waved one last time, and walked away.

So she'll be there... Akaashi quietly thought to himself.