[ 9 ] Dinner & unanswered questions

You sat through majority of your classes not even listening. Your mind wandered to none other than the pretty boy you had woken up beside. You wondered if even having these feelings for him were useful. Of course it wasn't. Why can't your feelings just up and jump off a cliff and never make your heart waver for the little things Akaashi Keiji does?

You skipped lunch, avoiding Bokuto and Akaashi. What were you even going to say to Akaashi? You were already flustered enough when Bokuto bomboarded you with questions regarding last night. By now you were fully aware that Bokuto knew of your "little" crush on their pretty setter, but you were thankful he'd never say it out loud. For someone as simple-minded as Bokuto, you'd be surprised to know that he was actually trustworthy.

You even skipped your daily meeting in the journalism club. You knew you couldn't pay much attention either way. Hurrying home to avoid Akaashi and Bokuto, you quickly made your way to the train station to catch the last train home.

-

"Bokuto-san." Akaashi called out to his upperclassman, his usual stoic and bored expression plastered onto his face as they both wipe the sweat away from their forehead.

"Akaashi!" He exclaims excitedly, flailing his arms in the air. "Your sets weren't the best today." He frowned.

Akaashi merely nods, quickly changing the topic. "What did you and L/n talk about?"

Bokuto shifts his gaze from Akaashi to the ceiling, recalling what you had talked about that morning. He then perks up, "Oh! Just about you two cuddling~" he cooed, wiggling his eyebrows at him.

Akaashi felt his cheeks heat up but didn't make it obvious that he was embarrassed. You actually talked about Akaashi to Bokuto? That's new. Then again, he knew that you told Bokuto everything. He wondered what the feeling was like to have you trust him as much as you trust Bokuto.

"Was she... okay with it?" He hesitantly asked, knowing Bokuto was aware of his feelings for you. He was the one who pushed him to pry on your diary, after all.

Bokuto nodded frantically with a grin. "She was actually hoping for you to stay for breakfast but then she got sad when you told her you had to leave. I'm pretty sure she has feelings for you, too, Akaashi."

With how easily Bokuto had released information about your conversation, Akaashi figured he would be the kind of guy to kiss and tell. He mentally facepalmed himself knowing he'll have to help Bokuto with that sooner or later.

Anyway, that thought being irrelevant, Akaashi came up with a plan to surprise you. He bid his goodbyes to Bokuto and the rest of his teammates, before hurrying to catch the train going back to your apartment.

Meanwhile, you sat on your dining table with a cup of tea in front of you and your favorite book in hand. You relatively enjoyed reading books instead of watching movies. Plot twists on paper was way better than plot twists on a screen, and that was your personal opinion. Your fingers carefully brushed against the pages of your book, flipping it occasionally when you finished reading.

Your apartment was gloomy as always, seeing as you lived alone. Before you moved out of your god-forsaken home, you took the habit of always letting someone know you were home, despite your growing hatred towards the people you were to call family. Now that you lived alone, you still felt the need to address that you were home, even when you knew no one would welcome you with open arms or a smile on their face.

Your reading was disturbed when you heard the doorbell ring. You quickly checked the clock to see what time it was. 7:16, who would be out my door at 7:16 in the evening? You sighed. You didn't have friends, so who could that be? If this was some sort of surprise, then it would've been done for nothing. You never liked surprises nor anyone going out of their way for you. I mean, who were you but a low-life, broken girl?

You folded the tip of the page that you were reading so you wouldn't forget it, placing the book on the table and slowly making your way to the door. You opened it to reveal a flushed Akaashi, holding up a plastic bag of... something, and slightly smiling at you.

What was he doing here at a time like this? It was freezing out - must be the reason why he looked so flushed. "I brought dinner. I assume you haven't eaten, so would it be okay if we ate together?" He asked, his voice was soft.

You were taken aback. Bringing dinner to your apartment to eat with you was a foreign thing to you. Besides, what was Akaashi's purpose in this? Your heart suddenly fluttered, calling out to Akaashi. You remembered what had happened this morning, making you feel embarrassed. Was this his way of making it up to you? That made sense. But... what for?

"I'm not taking no for an answer." Akaashi spoke up, breaking the awkward silence between them. "It's freezing out here, L/n."

You were startled by his voice. It was low, deep; it had more of a demanding tone than a pleading tone. You stepped aside, gesturing for him to step in. He removed his shoes and left it at the little foyer, with you closing the door behind him. He made his way to the dining table and brought the food out from the plastic bag.

"You read Jane Austen?" He pointed to the book that was sitting on the table, still arranging the takeout food for the both of you.

You stood in front of him, nodding shyly. Did he think you were a weirdo for reading a lot? He softly chuckles, his voice still low like before. "You don't have to be embarrassed, L/n. I personally find Jane Austen's books eye-opening. It gives me a better picture on girls' point-of-view."

You were shocked with his words. He read Jane Austen? He didn't seem like the person to read. There were so many things you didn't know about him, after all. You just nodded in reply, mirroring his actions as you sat down in front of him and said your thank you's for the food.

You ate in silence, but it wasn't an awkward one. It was rather comforting. You never had anyone visit you purposely, and so you got used to being alone. Now that Akaashi was here, you felt as if that something that was missing in your life, was found.

You decided to ask him a question after you ate and cleaned up. "Why did you come here, Akaashi?"

He looked at you, he now stood outside of the door. His face looked emotionless, but his eyes glistened at the sight of yours. "I like spending time with you." He simply replied.

You had a confused look on your face. Did Akaashi Keiji just say he enjoyed spending time with you? The Akaashi Keiji? Your crush? Agh, this was too much for you.

"Well, I'll be off then." He exhaled, putting his hands in his pockets. "I'll wait for you in the train station tomorrow, then we can go to school together."

And with that he left, leaving you stunned. Was this his way of showing interest towards you? You wondered.