[ 64 ] Meant to be.

The scenery had taken your breath away, and for a moment, you forgot your worries of Akaashi. At this point, there were less and less people.

You were at the edge of the bay walk, near the shore, with the wooden railings forbidding you to go further.

You inhaled a sharp breath, the cold wind slightly stinging your nose when you do so. But it comforted you. The sun had long set now, and the light from the moon took place of the sun's rays.

Akaashi briefly trailed behind you. He stood a few steps behind you with his hands buried in the pockets of his coat. To say he was nervous would be an understatement. However long he prepared for your decision still didn't ease his nerves.

Whether it be rejection or acceptance, he knew either way he still had to respect your decisions. But what if he wanted the latter? What if his emotions would be too much for him to handle and he'd ultimately force himself onto you? That's what he feared the most.

"I remember the last time I went to the beach." You spoke quietly but loud enough for him to hear. The sound of waves washing up the shore had eased the tension you'd been feeling.

Akaashi's ears perked up at the sound of your voice, and his feet push him to go closer to you.

"I was with Rin and his family." Akaashi briefly arrived by your side, and was able to witness the little smile you had on the corner of your lips, as you reminisced the days of your childhood. "Unfortunately for Rin, he got injured because the waves were too strong for his tiny figure."

A giggle escaped your lips. "So our beach day had to end sooner than I thought. And I never got to go to the beach or the bay walk again."

"Interesting story." Akaashi blurts out on impulse. It was clear that he was just as nervous as you were.

You darted your eyes towards him and pouted. "Did you really take me here to listen to dumb stories I had as a child?" You held back a giggle.

"I'd take listening to you talk about things you enjoy any day, Y/n." He locked eyes with you, and as if on cue, your heart started skipping beats.

You quickly turn away from him to conceal the fact that you were blushing madly. "You must have had a reason to ask to spend time alone with me, Keiji."

He was quite taken aback by how you'd let his name so easily slip past your lips. Clearing his throat, he swallowed thickly before shifting his gaze towards the ocean.

"I have something I've been wanting to tell you." He inhales deeply, still hesitating whether or not to pour his heart out.

You decided not to think too much about it, and waited for him to continue.

"I don't think there's ever any easy way to express one's feelings. I suppose that's why I'm... nervous, to say the least." He quietly chuckled.

Your eyebrows furrowed. You didn't remember Akaashi to be one who'd feel some type of anxiety or nervousness. Whatever he was going to tell you must be huge. Was he engaged? Was he moving away?

"I remember the very first day I saw you," He started. "I don't think I'd ever forget it."

"I was a first-year then, walking down the hallways with Bokuto-san when I saw you. I remember thinking 'she must be a transferee.' And I thought nothing else of it. But when I finally got a proper look at you.." He let out a breathy chuckle. "You took my breath away."