[ 58 ] Back in your arms

"How long has it been?" Atsumu walked in the private room of the hospital that Kenma arranged for you, a cup of hot choco in his hand.

"A week now." Akaashi didn't bother looking up at him. He'd lost all strength he had since the day he thought he'd lost you. 

It was a normal day when the doctor came in the room to discuss what had happened to you, but as he was talking with Akaashi, the heart monitor suddenly went off, indicating that your heart had stopped beating.

Since then Akaashi has been paranoid and refused to leave your side. He even asked for a leave in the company he worked in, just so he could stay with you. His bags had been packed, and he has never left the four corners of your room since the doctors and nurses pulled you back to life. You were still in a coma, however, and the doctor informed Akaashi and the rest of the boys that there was a slight possibility of your body malfunctioning again. 

"You should get something to eat, 'Kaashi. You've been on your computer since this morning." Atsumu tried speaking to him. "...You wouldn't want Y/n to worry, now, would you?"

Atsumu was right. Akaashi had been so focused on getting as much work done as he did in his office, trying desperately to distract himself of the fact that you weren't awake yet. That he hasn't seen any hint of emotion from your beautiful yet pale face. 

"I'll stop by the cafeteria later." He idly replies to the faux blonde who had his eyes glued to the TV that was playing a cartoon show. "How have you been, MIya-san?" Akaashi tried to at least make conversation with Atsumu. He appreciated that Atsumu would occasionally stop by the hospital along with Bokuto, despite their busy schedules.

Osamu never got to visit because of how busy he was with his onigiri shop, but he would send flowers from time to time. Rintarou couldn't visit as well because of his university classes, but would ask Atsumu about you. "I'm good, thanks for asking!" The faux blonde beamed.

"And your face...?" Akaashi hesitantly asked. 

You see, 6 days ago when Atsumu, Osamu, Rintarou and Hiroshi had that "conversation" with Asano, Atsumu ended up beating Asano to the pulp, and threatening him saying, "I'll make sure you rot in jail!" And that's exactly what he meant to do. Atsumu has been meeting up with one of the best lawyers in Japan (with Kenma's help) and made sure to file and prepare a case against Asano, one where he couldn't find a loophole. 

"This is nothing," Atsumu scoffed, waving his hand. "I'd rather be in a fight with that dickhead than leave Y/n with him for another day. Shit hurts like hell, but at least she's fine." Akaashi nonchalantly lifts his head up to see Atsumu smiling and grazing his hand over yours. He felt a light tug at his heart. He couldn't understand why you didn't just come home to Japan. You'd be safer here - happier.

A moment of silence seeped through the room as Akaashi admired you from his seat. He let out a sigh. How he longed to hug you, and kiss you - but he knew it would be too soon, especially for you. It had only been a week since he and his ex-girlfriend broke up the night of the party, as well as you calling off your engagement. Since then, you ran away and found shelter in Kenma's mansion, but at the same time you'd been beaten up. So much has happened over only a span of a week, and Akaashi knew he shouldn't take anything for granted once all of this was over. 

"Well," Atsumu inhaled deeply before exhaling and smiling. He turned his attention to Akaashi. "I better be off, then. Practice starts in 30 minutes and I still have to take the train." 

Akaashi spent the rest of the afternoon alone, working on finishing the manga that his boss sent him to edit. He wasn't really expecting anything out of the ordinary to happen. His days are usually just him working from morning to night. Atsumu and Bokuto would visit sometimes and they'd hang out, but other than that, Akaashi just worked and waited for you to wake up.

Akaashi took breaks and would eat, just like Atsumu told him to. He'd pick up a book and read while drinking his tea, and then a few minutes later he'd get back to work. The thought of you had crossed his mind. It wasn't like you were never in his mind - if anything, you've been dominating it for years now. But the thought of you waking up from your coma had come suddenly to him. 

Pushing aside the fact that he's been praying and begging the universe to wake you up, he never thought of what he'd do after that. How would you even react seeing only Akaashi in your huge, private room instead of, say, the twins? Or Rintarou? Was Akaashi really someone you'd be happy to see the moment you woke up? If he recalled properly, the last thing you remembered about him was probably the morning after Yachi and Yamaguchi's engagement party, where you thought you'd slept with him.

It wasn't really an ideal "last memory" of him. If he were to pick, he'd wanted it to be more romantic. Maybe a bit dramatic? He didn't know what he was thinking at this point. The romance mangas he'd edited were now clearly getting to him.

"You seem to be overthinking." Akaashi heard someone say. He wasn't sure if it was his mind playing tricks on him considering it was nearing 11 pm now. He groaned, not minding the voice he thought to be coming from his mind.  

"I thought you'd be happier to hear from me," The voice giggled. "I guess not. You've always been such a workaholic, Akaashi." He sighed now. Surely he's been getting enough sleep. He wasn't going crazy. Maybe he was. This was a hospital, after all. Hundreds, if not, thousands of people have died here.

He cracked his knuckles before finally ungluing his eyes from the screen of his laptop. What he saw made his entire body feel like jelly. Was he dreaming? It was you, awake, smiling from where you were lying. Your eyes looked tired but it was open, nonetheless. Your lips were dry and your skin was as pale as ever. But it was you.

"Y-You're awake." Akaashi's jaw had dropped to the middle of the earth. That might be exaggerating it a little, but no words could express the overwhelming mix of emotions he was feeling. His chest tightened, and his eyes started to sting a bit. Was he about to cry in front of you? Pathetic, he thought. 

He slowly stood up and made his way to you, eyes locked with yours. The smile on your face never left as well, and when Akaashi neared you, it only grew bigger. Before any of you knew it, you were in each other's arms, just like both of you hoped.

"Wha... what took you so long?" Akaashi joked to lighten the mood, but it didn't hide the fact that he was sobbing happily. He finally felt your touch after years of craving it. He was in finally in your arms after years of fantasizing it.

"I had to convince Death to give me another chance." You smiled, burying your face in the crook of his neck. How long have you waited for this? Everything else in the world seemed irrelevant now that you were back in Akaashi Keiji's arms.

"I..." Akaashi tightened his embrace on you. "You have no idea how badly I miss you."

"Me too, Akaashi." You caressed his back, tightening your hold on him as well. "Me too."

-

Author's Note:

quick question, is it okay if I skip all the lawyer stuff? I'm not particularly familiar with Japan's laws so I might be speaking falsely, you know. >-<