[ 24 ] a one-sided love

The drops of water from the sink brings you back to the present. You comfortably sat on the couch curled up like a ball.

You were unsure of what to do while you waited for him. He said he'd be here within an hour - it's been 2 hours.

Anxiety crawls up your spine and rests in your head. You couldn't help replaying the events from today and connecting the dots. It wasn't a coincidence that Ichigo's uniform was just as disheveled as Keiji's. Ichigo went up the staircase where you bumped into each other, and a little while later, so did Keiji. It was no coincidence at all that Keiji passed the exact same way as Ichigo did. Was he chasing after her? It was no doubt they knew each other from all the times Akaashi would wait for you to finish your club meeting. They never spoke to each other, not to your knowledge. They briefly looked at one another but said nothing. What if all the time that Akaashi told you he was busy, he was actually spending time with her?

Your chest tightens, hoping you weren't overthinking things too much. But the evidence was right in front of you. How could you deny it?

Your thoughts were interrupted when you hear keys jangling outside your apartment door. A key slides in the door's locks, making it unlock. You hear the door close, and muffled sounds were coming from the foyer. A creak from the floorboard was heard before he came into view, a duffel bag in hand. "I'm home." He curtly says.

You didn't know why, but it made you tear up. You weren't alone right now and that's the only thing you allowed to dominate your mind.

"Welcome home, Rintarou."

-

When Rintarou finally settled in, you two cuddled with each other in your bed. You couldn't bring yourself to look at him in the eye - you were busy with thoughts of your own.

A month ago, Rintarou had called you in the middle of your awkward moment with Keiji. He'd informed you that his aunt convinced his parents that it was best for him to stay and live with you. And by doing so, he was to transfer from Inarizaki to Fukurodani. But you figured he'd move in next year - besides, it was the middle of the school year and there was no way Rintarou was going to transfer this year. You told him you'd see him soon, but you didn't know "soon" would be a month later.

"So? Are you just going to ignore me, then?" Rintarou was the first to speak up. He noticed your fidgeting fingers and shaky breaths.

"No, I'm sorry." You sighed, burying your face in his chest.

"What's wrong, bubs?" He questions your forlorn expression. He figured something must have happened for you to call him late at night and ask him to come over. This happened multiple times before, the only difference was you'd call him when you missed him.

You looked at the clock that stood on your desk, 10:56 pm. You tightened your hug on Rintarou, which made him stiffen. "I might be delusional, but I think Keiji is hiding something from me."

He scoffed. "You called me here for that?" He sarcastically spoke - a pang in his chest. You jot your head up and glared at him. He only chuckled, stroking your head and gently pushing your head back on his chest. "I'm kidding. Go on."

"He ran late for practice earlier this afternoon which was weird cause he never runs late. And so I took the liberty I had to look for him. When I did..." You paused, taking in a deep breath before speaking again. "He... looked like he just came out of a makeout session or something. His uniform and hair was untidy and it's unlikely of him."

"Bold of you to assume he had a makeout session with someone. How can you say that?" You could hear Rintarou's voice echo in his chest as well as his heartbeat. You rested the palm of your hand on his chest.

"Because before I found him, I bumped into Kozume Ichigo... and her uniform was just as untidy as Keiji's." You bit your lip, trying not to break into tears.

There was a silence between the two of you and the only thing you could hear was the beeping of the clock. Rintarou rubbed circles around your back which slightly comforted your racing heart. He barely shows any affection at all towards you, so a simple back rub already warmed your heart.

"Am I delusional, Rintarou?" You weakly laughed, trying to uplift the mood.

He shook his head, staring at the ceiling. "You're in love, that's what you are." He now stroked your hair.

"Now that I recall it, his lip was a bit bruised when I saw him." You sighed, pushing your body higher so you could bury your face in the crook of Rintarou's neck. "It sucks to be in love."

Rintarou merely chuckled, another silence seeping through. You looked up to him, his eyes seemed distant. "Have you ever been in love, Rintarou?"

Your question catches him off guard and startles him. His gaze moved from the ceiling to your eyes, and you could see his eyes soften when he looks at you. "Once." He mumbles. "It was one-sided."

You pursed your lips, looking away. "That must have been hard for you."

Rintarou nods his head. "What was harder was... I was the one who pushed her to being with the person she loved." A delicate smile showed in the corner of his lips. He inhales deeply, before exhaling. Memories of his love was running through his mind.

"Why didn't you ever tell her?" You looked up to him once more, noticing the change of emotion on his face.

He pursed his lips, looking down at you. He hesitated whether or not to tell you. The real reason why he didn't tell her, was because she was you. His heart slightly ached, knowing you were having doubts about your relationship. If he were the one in a relationship with you, he'd never give you a reason to doubt him. His eyes catch the dim light from your clock, 12:47 am.

He cleared his throat, pushing away your question. "It's midnight. I'll still send you to school early tomorrow. Let's go to sleep." He slightly shifts his position, his back now facing you. He refuses to wake up cuddling with you - it was hard enough knowing you love someone else.

You sighed under your breath, wondering why Rintarou didn't open up to you but you didn't want to pry furthermore. You turned your back on him, closing your eyes.

How will you deal with Akaashi tomorrow?