[ 60 ] Akaashi's plan

6 months later; November of 2018 

"Y/n," Akaashi called out to you as he exited the building where he worked in. He had on a white polo shirt under his beige sweater, paired with dark blue jeans and some sneakers. The colors complimented his eyes and skin, and you smiled thinking about how he must've been overthinking this outfit.

"You're smiling like a weirdo." He pointed out when he neared you - his normal emotionless look plastered on his face. He then buried his hands in his pockets. 

"I-Is it so bad to smile often?!" You retorted, obviously flustered that he caught you staring at him. You tilted your head when you realized he wasn't wearing a coat. "It's cold out, where's your coat?"

"I was in a hurry this morning, so I forgot to bring it." He let out a breath, snuggling closely to his sweater. You giggled at how child-like Akaashi seemed to be. 

The past 6 months have been hectic. You got out of the hospital after almost 2 weeks of staying there. You were still bedridden for most of that month, though. Kenma had offered to let you stay in his mansion until you got back on your feet, but Atsumu insisted you lived with him, Osamu and Rintarou, considering the spare bedroom in their huge apartment. 

You eventually agreed since Atsumu was so consistent in begging you. A week later, you moved in with them. After fully recovering, you started looking for a job and ended up being an editor in a huge magazine company, much like Akaashi's.  

Oh, let's not forget the most important news of all. Atsumu's lawyer ended up collecting enough proof to use against Asano, and he was sent to jail. You had no idea Atsumu had planned this (with Kenma's help, of course) and you were eternally grateful. 

Hiroshi, however, couldn't stay with you because you weren't his biological mother. But ever since Asano's brother (and basically the whole family) found out what you and Hiroshi had gone through being in Asano's "care," Hiroshi was free to visit you whenever he wanted.

More often than not, you were with little Hiroshi. He'd come over every weekend or whenever he was free from any school work. Recently though, because of work, you weren't able to see him as much as you did a few weeks ago. But you'd occasionally facetime him here and there. 

You'd spend most days with Atsumu and his team (since Bokuto would miss you so much). Sakusa Kiyoomi had gotten used to you now, even when you weren't used to his cold attitude and obsession over germs. 

You'd spend every other day with Akaashi, mostly just doing work together. You couldn't focus much when he was around but you couldn't just ask him to leave. You enjoyed the time that you spent with him, but at the same time, you couldn't forget what he'd said 6 months ago. 

"I'm willing to wait for you," he spoke in a soft voice. "And when the universe has settled everything, I'll be here. Maybe I can finally ask you what I've been wanting to for 6 years. And maybe - just maybe - you would say yes." 

It kept ringing in the back of your mind. You weren't sure if it was a dream or not, but it felt real. He had your hand in his, and you remembered how he would squeeze it as he was saying those words. It couldn't have been a dream, could it? And if it weren't, what did he mean by "ask you what I've been wanting to for 6 years"? 

"Y/n, my train's here." Akaashi cleared his throat, pulling you back to reality. You hadn't realized you were so caught up in your thoughts that the two of you had already arrived at the train station. 

"Ah," You nodded your head, looking around before your eyes landed on Akaashi's. You felt your cheeks heat up and you quickly looked away. This felt like high school all over again. "My train's the other way. So... I'll see you tomorrow then, same time?"

You flashed him a quick smile and turned your heel, before walking away to the other side of the train station. Akaashi sighed. He noticed your distant expression when he spoke to you about work just a while ago. He figured you didn't pay attention to any of it, but it was fine. 

This was painful for Akaashi. It had been 6 months since he'd promised to himself he'd tell you how he felt once everything was set and done. But for the past 6 months, he hasn't done a thing. He loved seeing you happy now, and he was afraid that if he told you his feelings, he'd ruin everything for you. 

You just left a toxic and abusive relationship, and he didn't know how to compensate with it. He wasn't sure if he was what you needed right now. He wanted to give you the best in life, even if it meant for him not being a part of it. 

He was frustrated, to say the least, and when he entered his and Bokuto's shared apartment the first thing that came in his mind was to tell Bokuto how he was feeling. He recalled the night Bokuto revealed to him how he was feeling... useless as a best friend, since Akaashi never opened up to him about anything. 

Surely Bokuto would be glad to know how Akaashi was feeling for once. 

"What is it, Akaashi?" Bokuto called out from his room, grinning when he entered the living room, only to find Akaashi frowning. "Wha-what's wrong, 'Kaashi?!" He rushed to his best friend's side. 

"Bokuto-san, I've been keeping something in for quite some time now and... I just wanted to let it out." Akaashi cleared his throat, making sure to keep his composure. He felt like a little girl who was ashamed to let her friend know she had a crush. 

"S-Sure, Akaashi! You can tell me anything!" Bokuto's eyes widened. He was excited beyond measure. He's been waiting for Akaashi to want to open up to him, and here it was now.

"I..." Akaashi pursed his lips, fully turning to look at Bokuto. "I'm in love with Y/n."

Bokuto blinked a few times before he slumped down his shoulders. "Tell me something I don't know, Akaashi." He grinned. 

Akaashi furrowed his eyebrows. "What?"

"Anyone who's been friends with both you and Y/n would know you still had feelings for each other. It's so obvious! Really!" Bokuto laughed, clutching his stomach with both his arms. 

"Okay..." Akaashi raised an eyebrow. 

"So? Tell me something I don't know! C'mon, I'm intrigued!" Bokuto started shaking Akaashi by his shoulder, which irritated him but said nothing nonetheless.

"Alright, but please stop shaking me, Bokuto-san." Akaashi took in a deep breath before straightening his posture. What he said next shocked Bokuto to the core.

"I'm planning on proposing to her."