[ 42 ] Regret comes last

"Congratulations! Surprise!" The second-years exclaimed as the third years entered the empty yet decorated classroom.

As expected, Bokuto jumped up and down in joy, seeing the banner of the whole volleyball team hung up. He actually started tearing up, which was unexpected. Everyone pointed at you accusingly, as if blaming you for making Bokuto cry. "This was Y/n's plan!" a second year exclaimed.

"Technically, it was Akaashi's idea - Koutarou!" you exclaimed when Bokuto suddenly engulfed you in a hug and started sobbing uncontrollably. You giggled. "Stop crying, Kou!"

"You.." he sniffled, burying his face in the crook of your neck despite your large height difference. "You planned this?"

"With a little help from the rest of the second-years, yes." You rubbed his back to comfort him. A few seconds later, Konoha, Tatsuki, Yamato, and Haruki joined in on the hug. Yukie and Kaori, their managers, were giggling with drinks in their hands. The boys always seemed intimidating but a simple act such as this could melt their hearts.

The farewell party had begun and proudly speaking, it was going well. The third years had shared their experiences throughout the three years they've been in Fukurodani, and the second years intently listened. There were a few tears here and there - mostly just from Bokuto who was extremely happy because you'd prepared him his favorite food, yakiniku (barbecued meat).

Naomi had gathered up enough courage to talk to Konoha and watching from afar, you assumed everything had gone well. The younger girl had given him a bento box with his favorite meal she'd prepared for him that morning. The two ended up talking longer than Naomi had expected, and your heart fluttered at the love that was newly rousing, especially when you took part in encouraging your fellow classmate to just approach Konoha.

Akaashi had spent the entirety of his time avoiding any awkward or alone moments with you. He buried it deep in his mind the possibility of you two getting together, mainly because he believed you wanted the two of you to be just friends. He'd stand in the corner of the room observing the other students gather and bond around and he couldn't help but frown.

He knew that when April came 'round and a new school year would start, he'd inevitably be the team's Captain. That means he'd have to take care of not one, but all of the players. There'll no doubt be new applicants for the club, and just the thought of him helping and teaching them already exhausted him.

Not only that, he wondered what the coming school year would be like now that Bokuto had graduated. What did that mean for the trio? You, Akaashi, and Bokuto were always the three sticking together around school. You'd usualy spend your time with those two, and occassionally, the volleyball team as well. Akaashi wondered if you'd still be willing to join the journalism club again. Not much attention was on the school paper when you'd left the club.

His mind wandered, realizing that the one of the reasons you left was to solely avoid him. Those were the days when your relationship was on the rocky road. It eventually crashed - which Akaashi was not expecting nor hoping at all.

"'Kaashi." The cheery voice of his upperclassman broke his train of thought. With a hand in his pocket and a plastic cup in his hand, he turned to see Bokuto, who was giving him a doleful smile. "Is something the matter, Bokuto-san?" The younger boy questions, his body shifting completely to face his best friend.

Bokuto shakes his head. "You should talk to Y/n." He stands beside Akaashi, following the gaze that Akaashi once had on their pretty little friend - you.

Akaashi scoffs, drinking from his cup before answering Bokuto with his stoic expression. "It's better if I don't."

"You'll regret it, trust me."

The reason as to why Bokuto was forcing Akaashi to speak with you was because earlier in the party, Bokuto had a talk with you.

He decided he'd give the second button of his uniform to you, as a symbol and a reminder that no matter what happens, and no matter where you are in the world, he'd always be waiting for you to come back. In short, the love he has for you as a younger sister would never waver.

You'd declined it at first but seeing how persistent he was, you accepted it. You later on discussed about your move to America, which lead Bokuto into asking you when you'd tell Akaashi.

"I don't think I have the strength to." Was your reply that caused Bokuto to internally panic.

You and Akaashi may have had problems as two people in a relationship, and Bokuto respected that both of you deny talking to one another. But as friends, Bokuto thought that you owed Akaashi an explaination.

"I'd rather he hate me for leaving, Koutarou. I'm good with that." Made him panic even more. Thus the reason why he pushed Akaashi instead.

If Bokuto had to choose, he'd immediately tell Akaashi the moment he found out you were leaving for America. But he didn't have a say in that. He respected you as well.

"I don't think I'd regret anything when it comes to her, Bokuto-san." Akaashi timidly replies, staring at you laughing from afar.

Bokuto lightly chuckles, and places a firm hand on his shoulder. He proceeds to not say a thing and merely observes you from the distance as well as Akaashi. He knew Akaashi would regret it...

Author's Note:

bro im sorry this is so poorly written but i just finished reading In Another Life (BokuAka) and it mentally fucked me up so bad i got the audacity to moan-

anyways 😔✊ 16k alrdy yall crazy. i love u