[ 40 ] just friends

Normally, your answer would've been yes.
But that wasn't the case here. Akaashi Keiji stood in front of you, panting, palms rested on his knees while the strap of his bag was hanging on his arm.

He had a pleading look on his face and judging by the way he was panting, Bokuto must have invited him to practice despite it being the weekend and Valentine's Day.

You stood there dumbfounded with the sight in front of you. What would be his purpose for this? Wasn't it getting normal for the both of you to not speak with each other? Besides, he was the one who ignored you and Bokuto for weeks up until he got hospitalised.

"Y/n? Who's out the door?" Osamu called out, and you heard clinking of glasses. If the three found out Akaashi were here... they'd probably be pissed.

"Why?" You whisper-shout at Akaashi, reducing the openess of the door so the three idiots couldn't see who you were talking to.

"Let me make it up to you. It's Valentine's Day, after all."

"You should have done that months ago, Akaashi." He cringed at the way you said his name. He still wasn't used to you calling him formally and not by his first name. He loved the way you said his first name.

He finally stood straight up when he caught his breath. He properly wore the strap of his bag and faced you before inhaling deeply. "I know. But can I just... please make it up to you? I just have this odd feeling that I'll... lose you." He broke eye-contact when he lowered his head, fixating his gaze on the concrete floor below his feet.

Did Akaashi have some kind of psychic power? You were sure you haven't told anyone that you were leaving Japan, other than the three idiots in your dining table right now. You haven't told Bokuto as well, so why would Akaashi feel like this all of a sudden? You sighed, turning around to go back to the dining room, leaving the door open.

The three peeked at who it was and Suna's eyebrows furrowed in disbelief. "What is he doing here, Y/n?" He growled, now glaring at Akaashi.

"I'm going out for a while. Don't wait up for me." You spoke aloud, ignoring Suna's snarls and making your way to your room to change.

Osamu, Atsumu, and Akaashi made awkward eye-contact while Suna was just glaring at him. Osamu would invite him in, but this wasn't his apartment. Akaashi looked the same way as he did the last time Osamu saw him - he still had a gloomy look on his face like the time they bumped into each other that Spring break. Akaashi looked extremely tired - Osamu assumed it was because he came from rushing to your apartment from practice. He still had volleyball shoes and his sports attire on which explained a lot.

"Why are you here, Akaashi?" Suna's voice sent daggers Akaashi's way. He was so bitter, he could kill Akaashi with his voice.

Before Akaashi could even respond, you came rushing down the few flights of stairs looking dashing as ever - well, you were just in jeans and a baggy shirt, however, Akaashi found you extremely beautiful, like he did always.

His mood changed from gloomy to excited by the glistening of his eyes - observed Osamu. Osamu had quite the gut feeling something was going to happen between them, but he couldn't tell whether it would be a good thing or bad.

"Again, don't wait up for me." You remind them, deadpanning, before wearing your shoes and exiting your apartment.

-