[ 44 ] Unspoken goodbyes

You timidly enter your dorm, exhausted from the 16 hours of travel. Sighing, you eyed your dorm room. It was currently 2:30 pm of March 30th, still. But in Japan, it was already around 4:30 am of the next day.

You walked in and closed the door behind you and moved your luggages to the side. You put your hands on your hips and let out a deep sigh. The room was rather spacious as observed a while ago. You had enough space for your things as well as enough space for your unknown roommate.

You weren't sure which side of the room was yours, but you assumed the neatly cleaned bed was, considering the other one looked like someone had already slept in it.

You walked towards the empty bed and sat down, unsure of what to do next. You'd had a meal in the airplane a little while ago so a late lunch was out of the choices. Maybe walk around a little and familiarize your surroundings? Brown University was no doubt a huge school so it would be an advantage if you knew your way around the halls.

The creak of the door brought you back to the present as a tall boy walked in. He had quite the features on him and based on your observation, he seemed to be Japanese as well. His hair was much like Kageyama's from Karasuno High School in Miyagi, only it was a dull orange color. No, scratch that, he looked exactly like Kageyama. He seemed to be angry and constipated.

"Who are you?" He spoke in English, raising an eyebrow. You were thankful to the universe that English was your second language, or you'd be caught dumbfounded now.

You shifted on your seat, before sitting up straight and looking him in the eye. "I'm L/n Y/n. The new transfer student from Fukurodani Academy in Tokyo, Japan. I assume they informed you that I'd be your roommate?" You confidently spoke in English.

He shakes his head. "Oh, no. I'm not your roommate." He smirked before raising an eyebrow once more. "Japan, huh." He nodded to himself, sitting on the desk chair and facing you from across the room. "I'm Gakushū Asano. From Japan, too. Your roommate is a friend of mine." He now spoke in fluent Japanese. It didn't surprise you, really. He looked like a Japanese young man.

You nodded, before lowering your head slightly as a sign of respect. "Nice to meet you, Gakushū-san." You greeted.

He chuckled before waving his hand in the air. "Ah, don't be all formal. We're in America, after all. Call me Asano." He replies, before looking at his watch. "I don't have class until later at 6. Want to head out and have some coffee?"

This was all new to you. Asano may be Japanese but he definitely seemed more American than he was the latter. His approach was done so freely that it gave you anxiety. Living in America might be harder than you imagined.

But his suggestion wasn't bad. Coffee sounded nice. Not only that, but you could also roam around the area with someone who actually lived here. Hesitating a bit, you nod your head. You wondered what kind of person Asano was, and hoped he wasn't one of the delinquents you'd occassionally watch from Western movies.

-

a week later ; Tokyo, Japan.

"Akaashi!" Bokuto's voice rang loudly through Akaashi's ear, making him jolt up from his bed. He rubbed his eyes and looked at the clock sitting on his desk, 12:34 pm.

He had slept in, again.

"Akaashi!" He heard Bokuto's voice once more, making him groan. He stepped out of his bed and stretched, before making his way downstairs to where the voice of Bokuto trailed from.

He arrived in the dining room with a grinning Bokuto. There were food all over the little table they had and Bokuto sat there, ready to munch it all up. "I know you slept in again. I bought some food. Come on, 'Kaashi, let's eat."

The younger boy complied, sitting in front of Bokuto before folding his hands. "Itadakimasu." They said in unison, and proceeded to eat.

"Akaashi, let's go out." Bokuto tries to start a conversation.

He noticed Akaashi had been like this since the day you left, and it's been a week. A week has gone by and he's never stepped foot in the outside world. Bokuto assumed he and Kenma, Kuroo's best friend, have been playing video games nonstop. Bokuto figured it was reasonable — Akaashi had gone through a bad heartbreak, so his acting this way was acceptable.

But it's been a week, a whole week. A whole week since your last text to him. And since then, he couldn't get a hold of you. You changed your sim card — considering you moved to a different country — and completelt deactivated all of your social media accounts. There was no way Akaashi could speak to you even if he wanted to.

"I don't feel like going out, Bokuto-san." Akaashi curtly replies, taking a bite out of his food.

"Nonsense!" Exclaimed the older guy in front of him. "We will go out and have fun. School for you is starting next week, Captain." He wiggled his eyebrows in attempt to receive any type of emotion from Akaashi, but failed miserably.

Bokuto sighed, taking a pause from eating. "Talk to me, 'Kaashi." His hands curled into a fist, fingers digging into his palms. "I don't like seeing you this way."

"I miss her." Akaashi curtly replies, stabbing the meat with his fork and gritting his teeth. He releases his hold on the fork and runs his fingers through his hair. "God, I'm so stupid."

Bokuto remained quiet, silently urging Akaashi to continue. "I don't know how I'm going to get over her. I don't think I want to."

"She means the world to me and I just... let her go." He sighed, looking up at Bokuto. "Should I have chased her to America? Or would I make a fool out of myself? Tell me, Bokuto-san. It seemed like you knew she was leaving way ahead of time."

Bokuto pursed his lips. This was what he'd expected. He kept a secret from Akaashi even when he knew it would break his heart. "Y/n.. she didn't want me to tell you, Akaashi. But I think.." He took a deep breath, bracing himself for what Akaashi might react to what he was about to say. "I think she chose to be away from you."

Akaashi felt a lump in his throat. His expresion changed and Bokuto couldn't read him anymore — not like he ever could. Akaashi felt hopeless. He felt like he'd lost the one good thing in his life, you.

Here he was in his childhood home filled with memories of his parents arguing and fighting, when he should be with you, in your arms, in your apartment, filled with memories of the two of you dancing to a slow song at 2 am.

Akaashi felt his chest tighten. His mind wandered of to you. Lately he's been focused on what he wanted. He didn't even bother to ask what you really wanted. He didn't even bother to ask how he was going to fix you and him.

Silence dominated between Akaashi and Bokuto. Both were unsure of what to do. Akaashi's mind sauntered off to the possibility of you coming back to him in the future. What would that be like? He wondered.

A question involuntarily etched its way out of Akaashi's mouth. "What if she falls in love with someone else?"