𝚏𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚢-𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗.

Y/n walked outside after all the others. The snow fell onto her open umbrella as she walked out with her head down.

Seeing as her and Klaus were the closest to Ben, besides Five, Y/n had stood by Klaus. She walked up to him, not daring to look up at his face. She knew what the look would be. And it was a look that she didn't want to see on his face. With Five gone who knows where or when, and Ben dead, they're group of four was now down to the two of them.

Pogo stepped in front of Ben's coffin, looking around at all of them. Allison and Luther stopped on the other side of Klaus. Y/n sighed shakily, finally looking up at Klaus. He didn't look anywhere but Ben's coffin. He just stared at it. Y/n sighed again, looking back down at the ground. She couldn't bring herself to look at Ben's coffin. She knew that she would start balling the instant that she could see his picture.

"Your father is ready to give the eulogy children," Pogo stated quieter than he normally spoke. Reginald came around Pogo, stopping between him and Grace. He had no look of sadness on his face. Not even a slight hint of it. And it made Y/n's blood boil as she glanced over to him.

"The world is full of injustice," Reginald started. "Good people die along with the bad," he continued, causing everyone to look up at him. Klaus clenched his jaw as Reginald spoke. "This cosmic equation will never change unless evil itself is wiped from existence. Thankfully, there are powerful forces pushing back against the wicked and iniquitous." Klaus clenched his jaw more, inhaling sharply as he looked at Y/n. She turned her head to him and her gaze softened as she saw his glassy eyes. Allison looked over at them curiously as they stared at each other. Klaus inhaled sharply again and looked back to Ben's coffin. Y/n sighed shakily, looking back at Reginald as he continued to speak. Vanya breathed out shakily, her breath showing up in the winter air.

Y/n's thoughts wandered to Five and Ben. Five would have made some snarky remark. Ben would have smiled to himself, trying not to laugh. Y/n would start laughing as Ben continued to suppress a laugh and as Klaus would have made a funny face at her. Even though her and Five had never gotten along all that much, Ben and Klaus kept them tolerable. Ben and Klaus were inseparable and they were the glue in the group relationship. They were best friends, and they most definitely couldn't live without each other.

Y/n sighed, waiting for Reginald to screw up the eulogy and blame them, making them feel like shit about Ben's death.

"Individuals who have the strength to pull together against insurmountable odds to face adversity with unblinking courage, and not to hesitate to sacrifice themselves for another," Reginald continued. Vanya let out another shaky breath, looking up at Reginald. Y/n sighed once again, tears welding in her eyes as she stared at the picture on Ben's coffin. "Unfortunately, none of you are such people."

And there it was.

Klaus nodded, sighing. Y/n scoffed, shaking her head without blinking. "Despite years of training and weeks of preparation, you allowed Number Six to die on this mission." Y/n closed her eyes slowly, letting a single tear go down her cheek.

Allison looked up, gasping slightly and turning to Reginald. "It wasn't our fault!" she exclaimed shakily.

"Excuses?" Reginald snapped. Luther put his hand on Allison's back, trying to comfort her. "I will not hear them. The Umbrella Academy has failed one of their own. The consequences of which are dire. Hold onto this feeling children."

Klaus sniffled, closing his eyes. "Let it fester in your hearts," Reginald continued. Y/n let more tears stream down her face as the words came out of his mouth. "So there is never a next time." He paused, "Training will be canceled today out of respect for your brother. We resume tomorrow at six a.m." He turned to walk away.

Y/n scoffed, shaking her head. "You can't blame us for this whole thing," she said steadily. Everyone turned to her as she looked at Ben's coffin.

Reginald turned to her, stopping in his tracks. "What did you just say Number Eight?"

Y/n took a deep breath, looking Reginald in the eyes. "I said you can't blame us for this whole thing," she paused, sniffling. "We tried our best. We all already feel horrible about it without you making us feel like shit," she spat.

"Y/n-" Diego started.

"Zip it Number Two," Y/n said, glancing at Diego. "We didn't just lose our friend. We lost our brother. And you don't understand how much he meant, and still means, to all of us. You make us feel horrible about everything. Including this. You have no right to sit there and tell us how wrong we were when we tried as hard as we could. You weren't in the room while I held onto his cold body. While we were all in shock afterwards. And then you go and make us all feel like shit," she said. You could hear the falter in her voice as she trembled.

"Language," Pogo said.

"I'm not going to watch my language Pogo. Not when one of my best friends just died."

Reginald turned away from her, holding his head high as he walked back into the academy. Grace looked around at all of them before turning and walking after Reginald. Pogo sighed, shaking his head and walking away.

"Great job Y/n. Must you always make a scene?" Luther snapped as the door closed.

Y/n suppressed a sob, turning to Luther. "I'm sorry that he just stood there, blaming us and making us feel like shit as we all stood here, crying while staring at our brother's coffin. He doesn't get to say that shit to us."

There was a silence filled by all of them sniffling. "It wasn't anybody's fault," Vanya said shakily, breaking the silence.

"How would you know Vanya? You weren't even on the mission," Diego snapped.

Vanya looked at all of them, sobbing slightly. She turned around, walking inside while she whimpered.

"Nice going asshole," Luther said.

"What?" Diego snapped again. "We were all thinking it."

"No we weren't. You were thinking it. And once again, you were speaking for everyone," Y/n snapped, wiping off her cheeks.

"You know we were all thinking it," Diego repeated.

"Oh, so you're thinking Diego? That's a first," Allison snapped.

"Screw you!" Diego shouted.

"Hey!" Luther said, walking after Diego as he turned to go inside.

"Dad was right, we should've done more. This didn't have to happen," Diego said as Allison followed after the two.

Y/n sighed shakily putting her umbrella down. She walked over under Klaus' umbrella. Without warning, she hugged him forcefully, burying her face in his chest. "I'm sorry Klaus," she sobbed. "I'm sorry. I should've done more to save him. I shouldn't have snapped at Dad. It just made everything worse."

He sighed, wrapping an arm around her. She let go of him and wiped off her face, sighing. "I'm sorry," she whispered, walking inside.