𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛.

Nietzsche once said, "Man is as a rope stretched between the animal and the superhuman. A rope over an abyss. It is a dangerous crossing, a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous trembling and halting."

He blew his whistle and all the kids started running up the flights of stairs. They all tried passing each other. Y/n didn't start running as fast as the others did, she wanted to save her energy for the right time when she could pass all of them.

"As much as you have to strive for individual greatness, and strive you must, for it won't come to you of its own accord, you must also remember that there is no individual stronger than the collective."

Five blinked in front of everyone, getting ahead of them by a long shot.

"That's not fair! Five's cheating!" Diego complained.

"He adapted," Reginald stated.

Adaption, Y/n thought. She smirked, not stopping from her jogging. She stopped holding the railing and held out her two fingers, putting them together as she could feel the electricity go through her veins. Just at the right time, she put her fingers on the railing and slid them, causing electricity to course through the railing. The others weren't expecting to get shocked, so they all paused for a second, taking their hands off the railing. Y/n smirked as took the few seconds she had and ran past the rest of them.

"The ties that bind you together- make you stronger than you are alone."

———

Luther and Allison were by a pillar, clutching each other. Allison was crying at the pain going through her forearm. Five, Klaus, and Ben all sat in chairs, anxiously waiting to get marked on their arms. Diego sat in the chair, the tattoo gun going onto his skin and inking it. He let out shaky breaths from gritted teeth. Grace tried comforting him by grabbing for his hand. He moved his hand out of the way. Grace looked down, seeming a little offended.

"They will make you impervious to the pain and hardship the world will thrust upon you."

Y/n sat down on the floor against the wall to the side of the chairs that the boys were in. Her forearms were resting upwards on her knees. Her head was leaning back against the wall as she closed her eyes, clenching her fists and trying to relieve the burning pain of the tattoo.

Stick and pokes never hurt this bad. Not even close. She thought. She knew they weren't even close to being the same, but still.

She let out a shaking breath while trying to take deep breaths.

"And believe me when I tell you, life will be hard. It will be painful. We can accomplish anything when we accept our responsibility together. This is what creates trust."

Vanya looked into the room from the staircase. She sighed, grabbing a marker and drawing the same design on her arm.

Y/n hit the back of her head lightly on the wall.

"Together, you will stand against the reign of evil."

———

Y/n sat down on one of the chairs with her feet propped up and crossed on the table. She had her book from earlier opened, reading the first chapter. Klaus was sitting with his feet crossed up against himself with a guitar in his hands. Five stood, searching through baskets.

Allison walked into the kitchen, putting her coat down, "Where's Vanya?"

"Oh," Klaus said, "She's gone."

"She left about half an hour ago," Y/n said, not looking up from her book and flipping the page.

"That's unfortunate," Five said, huffing and walking to the table.